Knackred gear lever?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Ming

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Knackred gear lever?

Post by Ming »

The leather M-tec gear lever on my Z3 has always been a bit "flexible" as if it wasn't fully pushed onto the lever. Saw a post on here about removing them so gave it a little tug(!) and it came off in my hand(!!) together with various bits of plastic/gunk etc. Think someone has tried to silicone it on before but I'm not sure what the gear lever shaft is supposed to look like to see whether it can be re-used or whether I need a new one.

Do they just push on or are there clips of some kind to secure them on the shaft? At the moment the shaft has loads of what I think is old silicone on it - would it be a case of cleaning that off and buying a knob with the internals intact as I think the one I have has lost its' inners.
hornel Z3M

blank

z

Post by hornel Z3M »

The original ones are stuck on by BMW but if you clean the shaft and buy a new after market one they have small grub screws on the sides which tighten with an alen key :wink:
Bill-

blank.gif

Post by Bill- »

my one is loose too are there any threads for a fix please (sorry to be a brain sucking leech, I hope in time to be able to contribute significantly & help some others
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

The original BMW knobs aren't stuck on but are a tight push on fit. The top of gear shaft has a T piece that slots into a corresponding slot in the gear knob to stop it spinning round on the shaft. It could be over the years its become loose and a previous has glued it on? :shock: The gear knobs are usually removed by grasping with both hands and giving a good sharp pull. Most aftermarket knobs don't have the slot hence as Hornel says are held on with grub screws.

If your knob is loose then the only fix is to buy a new BMW one so its a night and tight fit :lol:

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
Hard Top

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Hard Top »

I just new that TT would post a comment on this thread. :lol:
TitanTim wrote:knobs are usually removed by grasping with both hands and giving a good sharp pull.
That's what happens down my pub.
Bill- wrote:my one is loose too are there any threads for a fix please (sorry to be a brain sucking leech, I hope in time to be able to contribute significantly & help some others
HTH

http://www.yorkshire-divers.com/forums/ ... -knob.html
HT

Titan's apprentice. :D
Titan wrote:Occupations ?
Official Devil's Advocate :devil:
Leg Puller
Micky Taker
http://www.lde.nu/index.htm
Phil

M roadster S54

Post by Phil »

Mine came adrift a while back and it pushes back but may have some rotational play. A bit of insulating tape fixed mine for a while until it wore out and needed more tape. The fix lasted about 2 years or so.
Sapphire black/Imola red and black interior/ red roof/ S54 - the only RHD one made.

"The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire."
Ming

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Ming »

The base of the leather lever has broke on mine so it's never going to be a tight fit although now it's off I can see the internals of it are shot so never going to slot in the section on the lever itself.

Think someone has tried to glue it on but that's not a proper solution so will get a new gear knob, clean up the lever shaft and hope the new one fits on as it should, either by grub screw or push fit.
Badman gee

M roadster S50

Post by Badman gee »

buy a storm one, they are fantastic and wont move :D

The 'BEAST' 666