Newbie with a poorly Z3 hope you help...............

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
007Z3

Z3 roadster 2.0

Newbie with a poorly Z3 hope you help...............

Post by 007Z3 »

Hi out there I'm a relative newbie just learning the ropes - had the Z about 2 months now and love it more each and every day. I live in the Channel Islands and picked up a silver 2000 2.0L auto with 35K on the clock. Garaged and lady owned inc. in the price ! I have spent a long - happy - time cleaning polishing etc and am very proud of him/her (?) however there is a problem that wont go away and I need some help. I've searched the forum but to no avail. When the car is left to idle, even for a short time such as traffic lights, one or more of the cylinders cuts out leading to very rough idling. Pressing the accelerator does not clear it nor will driving to the next set of traffic lights. If you turn the ignition off for more than 10 seconds it will start and run fine. I have changed the plugs and took the car to England for a 3 week 1,850 mile road trip visiting friends and family. (driving on the Island stop starting short distances etc can clog things up). I spoke to someone who said "Z's of that age suffer with degrading rocker cover gaskets and breather pipes"
Does anyone have any experience of this or any ideas ?
I would like, if possible, to do the work myself and very much hope to return the advice/favour one day.............
Sorry for the ramble :dunce:
triumphted

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by triumphted »

Hi

Didn't own a 2.0 - so no expert. This sounds to me like a Cam / crank position sensor issue. I think the 2.0's have these. Really you need to get it plugged in and a diagnosis ran on Carsoft or something similar to define the issue through fault codes.

The sensors are about £80 IIRC, and with at least two fitted you need to be sure which is at fault before spending money.

As i say I am no expert, so apologies if above is incorrect - someone will be along in a minute to say so either way i am sure!

John
007Z3

Z3 roadster 2.0

Hi thanks

Post by 007Z3 »

Thanks for your swift response !
I've seen car soft code readers on ebay - would this be an advisable route to follow ?
Thanks again..............
Justin Time

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Justin Time »

For the rough running, take a look at the maf sensor, camshaft position sensors and the exhaust sensors. Also worth checking are the rubber air intake hoses running to the throttle body from the airfilter box, they perish over time, split and cause running issues.

It sounds a lot like the Cam sensors as I had this issue with my 2.0. But check to see what codes (if any) have been registered with a peake research OBDII tool, these seem to be the choice of many on here for home diagnostics.
BMW Z3 2.0L Velvet Blue Individual Edition
macca

Z4 sDrive20i M Sport

Post by macca »

Sounds like a sensor problem. I agree with getting it diagnosed with a reader so you know which one it is.
007Z3

Z3 roadster 2.0

Thanks and an update..............

Post by 007Z3 »

Ok thanks guys - sorry for the delay in response - I was watching a 'peak research code reader' as advised on ebay but was outbid at the last minute by a sniper !

So I borrowed one, cleared all the codes and drove for a week or so. Rescanned and it came up with P0340 ! (Camshaft Position Sensor Malfunction)

Had a look on ebay and a sensor alone is £18.50 and one with the wiring harness £26.95 neither of which are genuine BMW of course but as I don't know any better would these be OK do you think, or do you know of a better source ? I know some would suggest our local dealer but they have a captive market over here (we are an island) and so can continue to trade with the reputation they have. Morally I would prefer to spend my money else where.

Youtube had the following instuction; I hope this might be of use to others in a similar predicament out there ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vY28qUcy ... re=related

Thanks again for all your help - and yes I had a look at the hoses/boots etc surrounding the air intake box and although they are perishing somewhat and showing their age I cannot see any obvious cracks or holes.

:wink:
Mr Silver

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Mr Silver »

You should be aware that the 'cheap' camshaft sensors that are around have a strong history of being poor quality. Many would advise you to bite the bullet and to purchase an OEM part from the stealer. Get them to provide the part number (part is then returnable). Price a short while ago was about £80. Easy replacement.

Regards.
007Z3

Z3 roadster 2.0

Thanks, noted.

Post by 007Z3 »

OK thank you for your input. I'll avoid the ebay cheapest option and pay a visit to the local motor factors who do have a good reputation and with whom I do have an amicable relationship.
I'll make sure I get a receipt in case its a duff but hope the shops experience will will have filtered out the inferior quality ones.
Thanks all. :rtm:
macca

Z4 sDrive20i M Sport

Post by macca »

Mr Silver wrote:You should be aware that the 'cheap' camshaft sensors that are around have a strong history of being poor quality. Many would advise you to bite the bullet and to purchase an OEM part from the stealer. Get them to provide the part number (part is then returnable). Price a short while ago was about £80. Easy replacement.

Regards.
+1 on the above
aceman

M roadster S50

Post by aceman »

Check my knowledgebase guide on how to change the sensors. The 2.0 has the same sensors so the part number quoted are the same. Change the inlet one first as this is usually the culprit. Also try Coopers to get an original BMW part they do an excellent mail order service which will ensure you get the proper part as even motor factor parts can be suspect sometimes.

Hope you get your zed back up and running and driving it as it should be driven. :drive

http://www.cooper-bmw-parts.co.uk/

http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22183
Aceman

Arctic Silver '98 Z3M

Previously;
Bright RED '99 Z3 2.8

Rocking seats ? You need seat bushes click HERE
007Z3

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by 007Z3 »

Thanks again guys !

Have changed my order to an inlet one ! The guys at Guernsey Motor Spares are very good and have assured me that if for whatever reason it doesn't work then just to bring it straight back for a refund.

Thanks for the knowledge base tutorial Aceman - MUCH better than the Youtube one !!!!

'Waiting for parts' - I'll let you know how we get on.

Much obliged

:wink: