Z3 faults

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
GrahamNorton

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Z3 faults

Post by GrahamNorton »

Hi all,

i have had a 2002 3.0 Z3 Sport for just over a year and for the most part have been very happy with it. It looks, goes and sounds great. Unfortunately i am a complete perfectionist and the few annoying faults with the Z3 have been getting the better of me over the last few months especially. Its gotten to the point where i am thinking about getting rid but thought i would see what you guys think first. If i do keep the car in the long term then ultimately i would need to fix the following fault:

The gearbox. We all know that the Z3 has a notchy gearbox but im not willing to just accept that and put up with it. I have changed the gearbox oil, changed the gear knob for a chunkier (330 club sport) gear knob with a bit of weight to it, fitted a steel braided clutch hose AND removed the CDV (Clutch Delay Valve). These changes have improved the gearchange somewhat (although i might add that since the CDV/Clutch hose upgrade there is a loud squeak almost every time i depress the clutch pedal). The gearchange is still far to notchy. In my opinion it almost ruins the entire driving expreience. Sometimes it refuses to go into gear altogether. Especially from 3rd to 4th. I often have to give up go back into 3rd and then it will let me go into 4th. I have done some research attempting to find out if the gearbox can be completely changed for say a Z4 gearbox but am not sure if this can be done and how one would go about getting it done (im not the type to do it myself). Let me know what you think about this guys. Ultimately i need to know if i can fix the problem, how much hassle it will be, how much it will cost (roughly) and whether you think its a lost cause and not worth bothering with.

Thanks in advance.

Post by Guest »

Creaking clutch pedal here too. I have waved a can of silicon spray in the general direction of the clutch but to no avail.
Frank.A

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Frank.A »

I went down the new slave cylinder and braided hose route and there was a vast improvement,in fact it was sorted.

Then the slave cylinder failed with the piston literally pushed out of the end of the cylinder.(Yes it was the correct unit)

My local garage who had done the change reckoned it was down to the braided hose having no expansion(the main reason for fitting it)hence allowing too much fluid into the slave.

I wasn't around at this time so he refitted the original cylinder and hose.

The result was as good as the new slave and hose.

Moral of story is make sure that the clutch is correctly bled by BMW methods.

The gearbox is not notchy and the only issue that I have occasionally is engaging 1st from standstill.

No squeaks.

2000 Topaz 2.8 Individual.

Youth would be more useful if it came later in life!
TaffZee

blank

Re: Z3 faults

Post by TaffZee »

GrahamNorton wrote:Hi all,

i have had a 2002 3.0 Z3 Sport for just over a year and for the most part have been very happy with it. It looks, goes and sounds great. Unfortunately i am a complete perfectionist and the few annoying faults with the Z3 have been getting the better of me over the last few months especially. Its gotten to the point where i am thinking about getting rid but thought i would see what you guys think first. If i do keep the car in the long term then ultimately i would need to fix the following fault:

The gearbox. We all know that the Z3 has a notchy gearbox but im not willing to just accept that and put up with it. I have changed the gearbox oil, changed the gear knob for a chunkier (330 club sport) gear knob with a bit of weight to it, fitted a steel braided clutch hose AND removed the CDV (Clutch Delay Valve). These changes have improved the gearchange somewhat (although i might add that since the CDV/Clutch hose upgrade there is a loud squeak almost every time i depress the clutch pedal). The gearchange is still far to notchy. In my opinion it almost ruins the entire driving expreience. Sometimes it refuses to go into gear altogether. Especially from 3rd to 4th. I often have to give up go back into 3rd and then it will let me go into 4th. I have done some research attempting to find out if the gearbox can be completely changed for say a Z4 gearbox but am not sure if this can be done and how one would go about getting it done (im not the type to do it myself). Let me know what you think about this guys. Ultimately i need to know if i can fix the problem, how much hassle it will be, how much it will cost (roughly) and whether you think its a lost cause and not worth bothering with.

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by TaffZee on Mon 11 Jul, 2011 09:14, edited 1 time in total.
Image1998 Atlanta Blue 2.8
TaffZee

blank

Post by TaffZee »

You must have a duff gearbox, I have owned two now and although the gearchanges are not the smoothest, no problems have been encountered with selecting a gear.. After yours is a 9 year old car (mine is 13 years old) you have to put up with the little Idiosyncrasies, perfectionist or not.
Only way I see is a replacement Gear box. And yes of course it's worth it :thumb:
Image1998 Atlanta Blue 2.8
Bill-

blank.gif

Post by Bill- »

My gearbox isnt notchy.
It sounds to me as if the clutch isn't disengaging properly.
77Si

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by 77Si »

My 2001 2.2 Sport is very clunky 1st to 2nd but fine other than that - definitely wouldnt consider selling it because of that, the gearbox does seem to be a common niggling issue to some though.
hornel Z3M

blank

z

Post by hornel Z3M »

I would assume all Z3 gearboxes are kind of notchy when selecting a gear, that is the best type of gearchange to have in a sports car, i love it as it engages and its real racey. Buy a ford focus they have lovely smooth gear changes :|
RemarkLima

M roadster S50

Post by RemarkLima »

There's a different between positive clear engagement of the gears, and not being able to get into gear at all! And if I had to double clutch / go back into 3rd, then 4th again it would also sour the fun for me I'd think.

Since having mine, I've had the gearbox oil changed and the brake / clutch fluid fully replaced and bled through and while a bit stiff when cold, it feels pretty good once it's warmed up... And yes, I'm still talking about gearboxes! ;)

The only other thing I found that really helped is to shift a tiny bit closer to the wheel, so that the clutch pedal is fully depressed... May be worth go...
gelertd1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gelertd1 »

I'm with Bill- on this one.

Unless your zed has starship mileage my suspect would be the clutch.

Gearbox that baulks when changing gears is usually a symptom of the clutch dragging - either the clutch itself or the slave cylinder isn't operating correctly.

Is the clutch pedal heavy to press down?

Another member on here had a very heavy clutch and I think on the advice of a BMW indie had the clutch replaced (can't remember if the DMF was done at the same time) - end result was a huge improvement in driveability.

Granted the box in the big engined zeds is agricultural but its just about bomb proof, the clutch however is liable to be subject to abuse (not necessarily by the current owner) from day one in any 'sports car'.

Squeaking from the clutch pedal is sometimes associated with a heavy clutch (given the extra force being applied through the pedal) and disappears after a clutch change.

If you have a good BMW independant nearby why not ask their opinion - they should be able to tell you whether the 'feel' of the clutch pedal and the resulting gear change in yours is appropriate for the model.
jayson f

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by jayson f »

I had this problem with my 3.0 2000 model, i did finally sort the problem out i changed the clutch. It had developed a creaking noise when i depressed the clutch and i could not live with it any more so i went to Euro car parts payed them £150 for a new clutch and with the help of a friend put it in in 6 hours! It transformed the gearchange and reduced the clutch drag loads, the old clutch looked in ok condition but being eleven years old was just a bit long in the tooth . Now i have a silent clutch and gear changes are much better!
RemarkLima

M roadster S50

Post by RemarkLima »

On this, if there was a clear way to get a later 6 speed 'box into a Z3, or someone in the UK who would offer the service I'd certainly be interested!

I know there's a lot of "is it really worth it" etc... But the extra cog on long journeys would be brill!
z3chuckles

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by z3chuckles »

Frank.A wrote:My local garage who had done the change reckoned it was down to the braided hose having no expansion(the main reason for fitting it)hence allowing too much fluid into the slave.
New rubber hoses would have no expansion either they just become more pliable with time, so many people change to braided hoses, and i'm all with mods but interestingly new rubber ones would probably have same effect just perish faster!
billz

Z4 roadster 3.0si

Post by billz »

I have the 3.0 and i have to say i dont have any of the symptoms mentioned. I too would go with the clutch. Maybe you could PM steveace as he works as a mech for BMW up north, he might be able to through some light on the issue
bill
Image ImageImageUploaded with ImageShack.com
Z3 3.0 Sports Sold
Z4 3.0si Ruby Black with Champagne Leather and Piano Black Dash
motco

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by motco »

I seem to recall reading somewhere that the six-speed box is too big for the transmission tunnel and that's why it was never fitted to even the later models.

I removed my CDV and always make sure the pedal goes to the floor and the gearchange is now acceptable.
Last edited by motco on Sat 02 Jun, 2012 06:48, edited 1 time in total.
Tom

Z3 roadster 2.8

6 speed

Post by Tom »

On th Yorkshire run last year somebody had fitted a 6 speed to a z3.Don't know whats involved try contacting york run organisers.
skeete

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by skeete »

My Z3 apparently had a whole new gearbox fitted in the first year of its life because the original owner complained of a very sticky and notchy gearbox. I have to say that mine is as smooth as a babies bum, so whatever BMW did it has fixed it. Although I do have a squeaky clutch slave cylinder :x .
OldskoolRS

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by OldskoolRS »

As per another thread on here (in the Z3M section I think) there is a kit of parts for the top of the gearbox to improve the change. This is required if you suffer from a 'sticky' gearchange, but best tried after the usual clutch bleed and gearbox oil change (which is what I did for a bout £30 worth of fluids and less than an hour's work). Mine was a bit stiff when I first got it, but much better now. I tend to heel and toe (just because I love the sound of the engine :D ) so down changes are always pretty smooth.

To be fair I don't think I've used a gearbox that is as slick as my RS2000, so everything seems a bit rough in comparison, but then it only has 4 gears and isn't as fast as my Z3 3.0. :)

EDIT: This was the thread I meant: http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... =6&t=34674