Pinking....possibly

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
kt66se

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Pinking....possibly

Post by kt66se »

Hi,

Noticed on my 2.2 that when I put my foot down, or go up hill I hear this metallic ratteling sound, it could be the exhaust but I was wondering if z3's suffer pinking....I've read somewhere about anti knock sensors, does this apply to pinking.

Sorry to be vague, only owened the z for about 6 month and just getting use to her...also, use to own a Truimph Herald and that really did pink when the timing was incorrectly set so this noise brings back memories.

Thanks

Adam
Ming

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Ming »

Mine also does it but only if I put in ordinary 95 octane unleaded.

If I use 98 Super Unleaded then there's no problem. I was going to use alternate tanks of different types but TBH will just use the higher octane stuff now and damn the expense.....
Justin Time

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Justin Time »

I've had the same when using 95 unleaded, always goes when I change back to Vpower.
BMW Z3 2.0L Velvet Blue Individual Edition
Vic-Z3

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Vic-Z3 »

Mine runs much better on the higher octane.
Have decided to swap completely from cheap supermarket as of two fill ups
ago.
I also add a touch of the old Redex injector cleaner which seams to aided the
beast as well.
----------------- BMW Z3 Das Beste Auto -----------------

Mein altes Auto riecht nach Nudeln, hat dieses Auto eine Wurst Geruch.
kt66se

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by kt66se »

Thanks for the replies - this is on high octaine, although I think the tank had a bit of low octaine in before the high went in, (fuel light came on before high went in). I'll go for an empty tank, refill with Tescos high and see how she goes

Cheers

Adam
Lazzzydog

blank.gif

Post by Lazzzydog »

That could be your problem, Tesco fuel is poo. Switch to another brand for a couple of tanks and see what happens. I used to use Tesco until i did a back to back comparison and although it was cheap at the pump my car ran better and gave much better economy on almost every other fuel. I wouldn't use Tesco fuel now if they gave it away!
kt66se

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by kt66se »

okay - will try another....maybe Esso.
GazHyde

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by GazHyde »

Run some Shell fuel through it if you have one near you.

I tend to use my local Total fuel station, as that seems as good as any right now (and they are cheapest in the area)

I stay away from supermarket fuel personally, and take the hit on price. Had some really crappy tanks of fuel from Sainsburys a few years back.
Robin

M roadster S50

Post by Robin »

Not sure if it sounds like pinking from your description of metalic rattling.
The sound of pinking is more like little men hitting the cylinder block with hammers.
'High G' motoring enthusiast
kt66se

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by kt66se »

my fault - bad description, I think it is little men hitting the cylinder block with little metallic hammers, comes on when accelerating or going up hill. I read somewhere the Z's have an anti knock sensor, could this be at fault? Will try changing the fuel first though just to be sure

Cheers

Adam
Robin

M roadster S50

Post by Robin »

As far as I'm aware only the ///M's have high compression ratio of 11.3:1 thus 98+ is required to prevent pinking.
Your 2.2 with comp ratio of 10.8:1 should not pink with 95, so maybe the pinking sensor is playing up.
'High G' motoring enthusiast
Titan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Titan »

kt66se wrote:...... little men hitting the cylinder block with little metallic hammers, comes on when accelerating or going up hill
We get the same noise but only when in too low a gear going up hill
I've tried higher octanes but not noticed a significant difference
I'd be interested to know if the anti-knock sensor generates a fault code.
Any offers from the technophobes out there?
Image :devil:
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

the anti knock sensor should prevent this.. reading behind the fuel filler cap it says 91-98 Ron fuel can be used... 91??? America i should think... but anyway the engines designed to adjust to different fuel grades.. cant say ive ever noticed a noise when i used to use tesco fuel...?
i tend to run mine on shell fuel only if i can... switch between fuel save and v power... had no problems and runs smoothly on both..
///M Roadster - Evolve Stage 3
markrnorton

Other roadster

Post by markrnorton »

^^^^^ agree

Knock sensors should stop this, even when i had the supercharger on mine at full chat there was no knocking

Car should also make fueling adjustments by itself when using diffrent grades.
Still modifying
kt66se

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by kt66se »

thanks for the replies. I'll fill up this weekend with shell v-power and see how she goes. I guess if the knock sensor(s) went it may knock all the time?

I noticed something else but think its my imagination, sometimes she seems to lack power on a trip, if I stop, say for a break and start up again, she can sometimes seem to have more power. (Same tank of fuel)

There are no lights on the dash so guess the engine CPU has not noticed anything and she ticks over and sounds sublime all the time

Will report back

Thanks again

Adam
Ming

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Ming »

Had the same symptons today. I believe it may well be the crankshaft position sensor at fault - will know for certain on Tuesday when it goes in to be hooked up to a diagnostic tester.

Took mine for a 150 mile jaunt today and had to turn it off and back on again 2 or 3 times as you could tell on start up that it was reluctant to rev. Pulled away once and had a car up my arse in no time and just couldn't accelerate uphill at all - very embarrassing! Pulled over, turned off, waited 5 seconds, turned on, pulled away and it went like a scalded cat! From then on, no problem, as long as you don't switch off otherwise you don't know if it'll run properly on start up.

It's as if the timing is a bit out and it doesn't rev freely or tick over well - mine stalled once coming to a roundabout.....no engine, no power steering :cry:

Put 98 octane Shell Supreme in and no pinking at all - even at 1200 revs in 5th going uphill. Pulls like a train if it's running okay.
Ming

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Ming »

Okay. Turns out it's the inlet cam position sensor that's duff. Brian at Fiveways Garage in Torquay hooked it up to the diagnostic machine and among other fault codes was one for dodgy sensor.

Fitted a new one, reset all codes/lights - even picked it up and dropped it off back to my house, all for £120 including parts and VAT.

If it's fixed it, I reckon that's a good deal.
Get The Bloody Roof Down!!
kt66se

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by kt66se »

Ming,

Thanks for the update - will keep that in mind. Have yet to try Shell fuel !
Nice piccy, strange looking Z3, some say mixing water into the fuel can improve performace 8-)
Ming

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Ming »

kt66se wrote:Ming,

Thanks for the update - will keep that in mind. Have yet to try Shell fuel !
Nice piccy, strange looking Z3, some say mixing water into the fuel can improve performace 8-)
Part of my previous life in Spain.....and my first love - bikes :D

Any idea how to shrink the photo?
Get The Bloody Roof Down!!