I've seen a creaking clutch thread but cant find it

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Bill-

blank.gif

I've seen a creaking clutch thread but cant find it

Post by Bill- »

Morning Chaps

After a 4 hr drive the other day, the clutch started creaking, the next day after cooling down it was fine.
I think this is pretty common but cant find a thread I know is out there for a fix,

any ideas chaps :(
Frank.A

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Frank.A »

2000 Topaz 2.8 Individual.

Youth would be more useful if it came later in life!
wonderloaf

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by wonderloaf »

Is the creaking on the inside or the outside? Mine started creaking in the hot weather recently (remember that?) so removed the cover over the pedals and gave the mechanism a liberal dosing of silicon spray, now sorted.
2001 Titan Silver 2.2 Sport
Titan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Re: I've seen a creaking clutch thread but cant find it

Post by Titan »

Bill- wrote:I think this is pretty common but cant find a thread I know is out there for a fix ..
This is the LINKto the thread created when I posed this same question a couple of years ago.
There are (at least) 2 sources of squeak: the clutch pedal bushes and the release mechanism inside the gearbox bell housing.
I can't actually tell you if I've cured the problem although I haven't heard it (fingers crossed) for some time :shock:

Lubricating the pedal bushes is a real PITA which can be greatly simplified if you can employ the services of your local friendly neighborhood contortionist.
Failing that, pick a dry day (could be difficult) remove the lower panel trim surrounding the pedals and stand on your head in the driver's footwell :P
Attempt to locate the relevant bushings and apply oil, grease or a teflon lubricant. Remember WD40 is NOT a lubricant.

Getting at the release mechanism requires getting the car off the ground either on axle stands or preferably using a hoist.
However before diving in there and removing the gear box, try taking the slave cylinder out and cleaning the rubber thingy on the end of the actuating rod :wink:

I found the noise was intermittent and tended to be worse in dry weather although it did also manifest itself during periods of rain :head:
I'm not aware of a definitive fix (other than going for an auto box) but the above (seems) to have worked for me :twisted:
HTH
Image :devil: