clear indicator assemblies (front)

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
JohnBag

Z3 roadster 2.0

clear indicator assemblies (front)

Post by JohnBag »

Right,

gonna atempt muffle's trick with the front indicators in the headlamp assemblie's.

before i do this i have a few questions to set my mind at rest!

1) when u are removing the headlights how the hell do you get to the bottom right or left bolts?? seems very tight and crap access????
and i presume the headlights come out of the car rather than towards the engine?

2) How long do i keep the dam things in the oven (i overcook everything :head: ) and at what approx temp???

3) once i have it apart is there any technique in removing the orange lense???

4) do they just push fit back together with origional clips or is silicone needed?

Muffles i know you have the answers mate plz help me out dont wanna break my toy after 2 weeks ov ownership :P
AdamC

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by AdamC »

John did you manage to get the clear lenses or are you going for a removal without refit (Muffles Style)?

Cheers.
AdamC
JohnBag

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by JohnBag »

im going for a muffles style i think it looks mutch better!!! 8-)
Devon Z
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Devon Z »

Best of luck and post some pics, im still undecided which way to go.

Steve.
Kiwi

M coupe S50

Re: clear indicator assemblies (front)

Post by Kiwi »

JohnBag wrote:Right,

gonna atempt muffle's trick with the front indicators in the headlamp assemblie's.

before i do this i have a few questions to set my mind at rest!

1) when u are removing the headlights how the hell do you get to the bottom right or left bolts?? seems very tight and crap access????
and i presume the headlights come out of the car rather than towards the engine?

2) How long do i keep the dam things in the oven (i overcook everything :head: ) and at what approx temp???

3) once i have it apart is there any technique in removing the orange lense???

4) do they just push fit back together with origional clips or is silicone needed?

Muffles i know you have the answers mate plz help me out dont wanna break my toy after 2 weeks ov ownership :P
Where's muffles? In his absence I'll have a crack ...

1) To get at the lower bolts I just used an extension on my socket set - I remember I had to use blu-tack to lift them out and to re-insert them - and I vaguely remember having the girlfriend help out by shining a torch and using her smaller hands to line up the ones at the bottom closest to the number plate. Not much help sorry as I don't remember it that well. I do remember there were circular cut-outs in the framing across the leading edge of the engine bay which I put the socket through to get at the bottom bolts.

2) There's another current thread which discusses how long to heat - thing is really just to take your time and keep checking them (and rotating them to be on the safe side) every few minutes.

3) The orange lense is secured by two tab clips - to remove you simply prise the prongs on the tabs apart and the lenses will lift off.

4) The two halves of the headlight assembly will just push back together and then be secured by the clips) provided the original sealant is still soft. You could add additional sealant if you thought it necessary.

Hey Adam - are the clear lenses no longer available?
muffles

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by muffles »

AdamC wrote:removal without refit (Muffles Style)
woohoo, i'm famous! :mrgreen:
Kiwi wrote:Where's muffles?
unfortunately, internet-less at home at the moment! so i just get to reply during normal working hours :twisted:

i think kiwi's covered everything about how to do it anyway :D

oh, except to get the lights out i removed my airbox and my washer fluid reservoir (didn't disconnect it just, that'd be a pain, just moved it up out of the way). even then it is awkward to get to! i would have used a socket + extension except i didn't have the right bits, or something like that. :dunce:
RIP '98 Arctic Silver 2.8!

Supersprint exhaust * UUC SSK * Clear rears/fronts/sides * Aluminium bee sting aerial * KW coilovers
JohnBag

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by JohnBag »

si am i to understand no-one has encountered fogging up of the lense aftre tampering with the ligh housing??

Cheers for the replys!!! :D
muffles

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by muffles »

i've not had any problems, but then it hasn't really been the right conditions as yet! it is a fairly decent sealing "mechanism" if you look at it, part of the front lense slides in to a slot all around the back part, so it makes it even harder to leave a gap. and you can always chuck a bit more sealant in there if you want :D

Supersprint exhaust * UUC SSK * Clear rears/fronts/sides * Aluminium bee sting aerial * KW coilovers
JohnBag

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by JohnBag »

for my next trick i intend to paint the amber part (amber part only) of the rear lenses with tint stuff from halfords! anyone tried this i think it will look pretty good!!

I know from my old MK1 golf GTI days that if i take my time and not over spray and totally black the lights out it should look good. Any thoughts....?
muffles

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by muffles »

i thought about that, but decided it would make the lights too dark on a silver car. what colour is yours?

Devon Z
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Devon Z »

Ive done that on mine, Ive done the just the indicators and reverse lights on my face-lift Z, looks good on a dark colour.

Steve,
JohnBag

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by JohnBag »

its a dark grey so i reckon it'll look nice

:P
JohnBag

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by JohnBag »

any pics steve?
JohnBag

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by JohnBag »

1st mod succesfully completed :D

will get some pics soon!!!

just using amber bulbs for the moment but it still looks 100% better!!!

Muffles and kiwi thanks for the tip's :)
Kiwi

M coupe S50

Post by Kiwi »

JohnBag wrote:1st mod succesfully completed :D

will get some pics soon!!!

just using amber bulbs for the moment but it still looks 100% better!!!

Muffles and kiwi thanks for the tip's :)
No worries - looking forward to the pic's - try to get them a decent size. From the ones you've posted here it looks like the car is steel grey - which is a colour I've always thought was quite tasty (but never seen it in the flesh or metal as the case may be).
muffles

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by muffles »

looking forward to pics too! :mrgreen:

Devon Z
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Devon Z »

Hi JohnB,
yes i have pics of the tail lights just have to workout how to post them, so it looks OK with the lens removed then?, easy job?.

Steve.
Devon Z
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Devon Z »

Hi JohnB,
yes i have pics of the tail lights just have to workout how to post them, so it looks OK with the lens removed then?, easy job?.

Steve.
muffles

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by muffles »

steve there's an attachment feature so you don't even need to host your pics first :D

JohnBag

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by JohnBag »

yup pretty easy to remove ... bit trickyer taking headlights apart but taking your time is a good idea. I used a heat gun on the edges then priused them apart with a 1" chissel :P

good result...lov em!!!!
c_w

M roadster S50

Post by c_w »

I did mine today and thought I'd add some things I found;

I first tried boiling water as I have done a similar thing with another car and it worked well, but as the Z3 headlights are so long it's difficult to get them all submerged in hot water for it to work (plus you get water inside the unit).

- Removing the actual headlights is quite easy. I didn't remove the airbox as this didnn't appear to gain any extra access that I could see. My washer bottle isn't near the drivers headlamp so that didn't need moving either.

- It's easy to get to all 4 of the screws with a 1/4" drive rachet set with extensions. Use a flat bladed screwdriver to lock the adjusters. The bottom screws near the radiator look more difficult to access than reality; there is plenty of space to get to them from the side. The bottom ones near to the wing are the most difficult but it doesn't matter if they get dropped when removing as you can easily find them with the headlights removed. Just put some grease in the socket so the screw sticks to it when refitting.

- As access to the wire connectors is quite tight behind, I undid them when I was withdrew the headlights (apart from the indicator ones which I did from the engine bay side).

- When you prising off the metal clips cover them with your hand; currently one of mine is missing as it catapulted across the garage never to be seen again! :lol:

- I preheated the oven so that it seemed hot then turned it off and put the headlight in then, so the headlight doesn't get singed/melted by the flame.

- When prising the lamps apart with a large flat screwdriver etc, is the sections on the headlight that the spring clips cover, so that when refitted any slight damage to the plastic can't be seen as easily.

- If you have the facelift chrome-ringed headlights, don't be tempted to give them a polish as it's only a microscopic layer of chrome plating and will come off even with the slightest rub!!! :shock:

- Once the orange bit is removed, put the halfs back together and press them firmly together; they will probably have to go back in the oven again to soften the sealant again as mine wouldn't close up. Once they have been in about 5mins, it softened the sealant so I could squash the 2 halves that little bit more and then refit the clips.
semad

Z3 roadster 2.5i

Post by semad »

what i did to get the the front plastic part with all the adhesive on off was use a hair dryer. it might take a bit longer but its safer. also once the adhesive losens i used needle nose plyers to spread the plastic apart doesnt damage it worked out real nice.
Devon Z
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.0

Tinted Tail lights,

Post by Devon Z »

Hope this works :!:
muffles

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by muffles »

c_w wrote: - It's easy to get to all 4 of the screws with a 1/4" drive rachet set with extensions.
that's why i removed my airbox and washer bottle! i didn't have the extensions or correct socket sizes! :cry:

c_w

M roadster S50

Post by c_w »

muffles wrote:
c_w wrote: - It's easy to get to all 4 of the screws with a 1/4" drive rachet set with extensions.
that's why i removed my airbox and washer bottle! i didn't have the extensions or correct socket sizes! :cry:
Then how did you get to the ones in the corners!!!? :? :lol: I think I would have really struggled without using a small 1/4" ratchet set.

As it *seems* to be nice weather I might try and get a picture up tonight.
muffles

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by muffles »

well, if you remove the washer bottle/airbox you can just about reach the nuts with a spanner, takes ages though :head:

c_w

M roadster S50

Post by c_w »

Finally here's a picture of mine with orange lenses removed;
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AdamC

Z3 roadster 2.8

Done the same

Post by AdamC »

I removed my orange lens covers yesterday to complement the clear rear clusters and side repeaters I got for my birhday. All in all I am really pleased with the look of the car now.

I am just a bit concerned that the indicater cannot be seen from as many angles now. I think this is just the nature of the silver vision bulbs and the clear lenses as the rears do not seem as obvious as the amber ones. Just wondered if this is something they could pull you up on in your MOT?
AdamC
JohnBag

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by JohnBag »

i still need the rear clusters... any idea of a price from a stealer???
AdamC

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by AdamC »

About £90 +VAT
AdamC
c_w

M roadster S50

Re: Done the same

Post by c_w »

AdamC wrote:I removed my orange lens covers yesterday to complement the clear rear clusters and side repeaters I got for my birhday. All in all I am really pleased with the look of the car now.

I am just a bit concerned that the indicater cannot be seen from as many angles now. I think this is just the nature of the silver vision bulbs and the clear lenses as the rears do not seem as obvious as the amber ones. Just wondered if this is something they could pull you up on in your MOT?
Technically yes as the light isn't being spread as it should. I noticed this too, as the orange (or laterly clear) lenses are designed to spread the light in all directions, and without this they tend to be more of a "beam".

However, I don't think they are too bad, they are ok in the day and certainly bright enough at night, and I would say it's the rear indicators that are most important to make sure they are most visible.
AdamC

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by AdamC »

True, but I just wonder if my insurance company would pick up on it in the event of a claim? They can be so picky!
AdamC
parrot

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by parrot »

are there any other pics as well as cw? his look great against the blue. Mine is black and just wondered what other cars look like brfore i take the plunge. thanks Parrot.