1.9 Auto advice for a Newbie.

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
mrwhippy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

1.9 Auto advice for a Newbie.

Post by mrwhippy »

Hello all,

I've only joined the forum today, so this is my first post.

I am going to view a Z3 on the outskirts of York on Monday. I have heard about the car through a family member and as far as I know the car is not yet advertised anywhere. This is good in that I appear to get first refusal, but not so good in that I have seen no pics of the car.

The limited info I have is that it is a 'blue' R-Reg 1.9 auto. One lady owner from new and only 20,000 miles on the clock. 9 months tax & MOT. Full leather interior.

That's all I have, I don't even have an asking price!

Any views on what I should expect to pay for an average Z3 of this age & mileage?

I've looked on autotrader / pistonheads etc but prices do seem to vary significantly. Given the low mileage relative to this cars age, I've not really seen anything similar for an accurate comparison.

I know I'm asking alot for my first post, but any general views on the 97/98 1.9 auto would also be appreciated.

Many thanks in advance for your help. Hopefully I'll soon own my first Z3 and be a regular on the board.

I've never owned any convertible before by the way....I admit to being excited by the prospect. The car would be a weekend luxury and not used for the daily commute.

Thanks again.
Lazeodoom

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Lazeodoom »

I own a 1.9 but its manual not auto so I can't comment on the auto!

Mine was 39k miles when I bought it years ago and now with 70k miles wouldn't be worth half what I paid!

When you look at it see about the roof for wear, colour and how easily you can raise and lower it, creaky windows, leaky boot and the other bugbears of Zed ownership! Also if only 20k miles take it out for a good long drive and make sure evrything feels tight still, although it has had a charmed life it may well only have been used for short journeys.

It's the 1.9 so don't expect massive amounts of power coursing through the car every time you look at the throttle (doubly so if automatic) but it should get you up to 'some' miles an hour nicely.

Don't pay more than £4000 unless it truly is special, there are always 1.9's on the board here for less than that although they might not be as low mileage.

I think there is a buyers guide on the site somewhere, have a fiddle with the search option and good luck, hope you buy it!
007Z3

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by 007Z3 »

Hi and welcome - I am a relative newbie too so am delighted to be the first to say hi - any, all and more advice is available here............
I say again I am new so will offer my advice, for what its worth, but please listen to the others who are much more wise than I.
I did a lot of research before committing to mine so can share that with you now.
One of the overriding comments that kept coming through was that given the choice opt for a 6 cylinder as opposed to the 4. The 6s are obviously a little more powerful but also a smoother delivery. Some, and only some, might say the 4s are a little underpowered. This is of course only and opinion and a lot would depend on how you drive as to whether it would make a difference to you caring or not. I saw a 'Top Gear' programme recently where James May was bought a 1.9Z3 with an auto box and had to drive it across a desert to Bethlehem. If my memory serves correctly he paid just over 3k for it (I dare say it had many more miles than yours) but he was not a fan of the engine/transmission coupling.
I think if its a sports car for driving you want, one with the smaller engine option with a auto box might not give the thrills you seek. Perhaps.
All of the above are only opinions and some would agree, many wouldn't.
'What Car?' 'Parkers' etc do online - free - car valuations by the way.
What I can tell you though is of my experience so you may take it as gospel.....................
About 3 months ago I bought a 2000 Z3 2.0l (6cyl!) auto and I absolutely love it ! It too is low mileage 30,000 and has lived in a garage all its life. I do not drive as fast as I used to so the auto box is good for me. It too is my first convertible and I absolutely love that also - it changes the whole driving experience to complete pleasure. (I have to say mine has a power hood so can put the roof down while I wait for the traffic lights to change, I might not be able to be so fickle if it were not).
I have spent a bit of time and money making my car my own, i.e. a cut and polish, removing and trace of orange from the front lights (de-tangoed !) spacers on the rear wheels, chrome kidney grills and a new rear window. I would like to say with these mods it does not look like a hooligan or a youngsters car but just a bit more up to date and expensive - it still looks pretty standard, just a higher standard. If you do need to replace the rear window have someone do it for you or else you maybe left with a crease/crinkle in it like me .
:oops: :oops:
So, my advice ? (if you want it) YES YES YES buy a Z3 I doubt very much if you will ever regret it. This forum is fantastic (thanks to everyone here) all advice, experience and support you need is here. So please stay in touch ! With that in mind and a decision made go and have a look at your friends Z, a lot of the above will help you negotiate the price down but please don't fall out over it, no car is worth that. (well maybe except a Z) BUT PLEASE GO AND LOOK AT OTHERS ! I believe that people buy a car like ours for a reason, and not all of them good. So if a 1.9 with an auto box at the right price works for you that's great. If you can get one with only 20,000 on the clock even better, if its been in a garage and serviced regularly then it sounds like your on to a real winner and with that mileage a keeper.
I wish you all the best and I'm sure you will enjoy the search nearly as much as the find (do look around..)
Sorry for the ramble - I do go on some times - let us know how you get on ! :squeeze:
mrwhippy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by mrwhippy »

Thank you both for your kind welcome & sound advice.

I have had a trawl around the free valuation sites and again have been amazed at the varying valuations I've obtained. Some free sites do not adjust for mileage and this becomes a big problem if the car is some way off 'average'.

I am though beginning to formulate a target price in my mind. The car is currently owned by a work colleague of my cousin. I have never met her so awkward negotiating should not be an issue.

Interesting comments regarding the power of the 'auto'. I confess to never having driven an auto in over 20 years of driving, so the test drive will be interesting!

I'll be spending the rest of the weekend researching, on this board and elsewhere.

Thanks again.
swamper

M roadster S50

Post by swamper »

the reality is that a lot of people that own zeds aren't in touch with how much there cars are really worth .....the truth is that no matter how much we cherish them they are in fact an ageing car and the value is quite low......having just had a look at one up the road from me its got 122000 on the clock and its a shed ..no 2 ways about it.....but he still thinks this car is worth 2 and a half grand and is his pride and joy .....so my point is ..is that you might be wise to let them know what the cars worth before you start to haggle...because more than often they think its worth a lot more
the badness makes me do it...!

maurice the martian

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Post by maurice the martian »

Personally i would not buy a 1.9 auto,If you like a turn turn of speed get a 2.8 or 3ltr auto,otherwise go for a manual box.
Maurice
Hard Top

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Hard Top »

Welcome to the forum mrwhippy.
So you have decided to trade the ice cream van in for a Z3. :lol:

I have a 1996 M44 Auto 1.9i that I am more than happy with and it is my daily form of transport.
I wanted an automatic, as the traffic jams over here (Netherlands) are horrendous, so it makes life a little bit more comfortable.
It would probably be useless round the Nürburgring, but that is what the ///M is for, both of which are on my list of things to do.
I did mention to the missis that I wanted to buy a second Z3 and stick a V8 in it, as has been done by a couple of forum members (do a search, it makes for fascinating reading) but I was told that that would cause divorce proceedings. :|

Here is a bit of info that I hope will help.

The 1.9 L 4-cylinder was replaced with a 2.0 L straight-6 in 1999.

M44 - Straight 4 DOHC 16V. 1996 on. 102kg 225lbs
Used in E36 318iS, Z3
1.9 (142-150bhp)

M54 - Straight 6 DOHC 24V with Dual VANOS. 2000-present. 126kg 277lbs
Used in late model Z3, all E39 and E46 six cylinder models
2.0 (150bhp), 2.2 (170bhp), 2.5 (184-192bhp), 2.8 (193bhp), 3.0 (231bhp)

http://www.automobile-catalog.com/list-bmw.html

http://www.zerotohundred.com/newforums/ ... -faqs.html
HT

Titan's apprentice. :D
Titan wrote:Occupations ?
Official Devil's Advocate :devil:
Leg Puller
Micky Taker
http://www.lde.nu/index.htm
Zed Carer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: 1.9 Auto advice for a Newbie.

Post by Zed Carer »

mrwhippy wrote:Hello all,

I've only joined the forum today, so this is my first post.

I am going to view a Z3 on the outskirts of York on Monday.
Hi and welcome to the forum (madhouse) from another West Yorkshire Zedder. The usual comment is to try as many Z3's as possible before buying one but you seem to have dropped on what could be a very nice example.

One key point is the past history as with such a low mileage the servicing will most probably have been on a time basis rather than the the service lights. After a service there are 5 green lights showing that count down to the next service. There are quite a few members with auto Z3's and they all seem to like them - anyway it's the top down driving that is important.

Good luck.

PS You have a pm
Hers: Z4 2.0i Sp --------------------- His: Z3 2.8
Mouldy

Not specified

Post by Mouldy »

Hi and welcome from me, too.

Personally I would be very wary of buying a car of that age with such a low mileage. It's not only miles that cause various parts to wear, but age as well. You may well find that some of the rubber bushes in the suspension and steering are perished and will need replacing and short journeys can cause a great deal of damage to the inside of the exhaust.

If the tyres are old, they too could require replacement as they will degrade with age.

If you are only going to use the car as a weekend toy, the mileage shouldn't be a major factor in your choice of car. One that has been regularly used and properly and frequently maintained may be a better choice, IMHO.

I'm not sure whether the combination of a 1.9 and auto box would provide the excitement that you might expect from a sports car, either. The 2.2 is generally accepted as the best choice of engine, providing a good compromise between power and economy with a great engine note, too.

Again, economy may not be a primary consideration for a weekend toy, either. With careful use of the loud pedal in my 2.8, I regularly see 34mpg on a run.

As others have said, the best thing to do is see and drive a few and base your choice on what you think is best.

Whatever you get, enjoy it!!!

Skoda Octavia vRS TSi DSG on Tour at Rocamadour
TWO

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by TWO »

Hi and welcome

I toally agree with the general consensous of all the previous comments, but like you, when I was tracking down a Z3, I nearly went for a 1.9 (4 cylinder).....but finally decided on a 2.2 (6 cylinder), believe it or not, purely on one reason amonst others.....the sound of the engine. :lol:

I have found it to be one of the pure joys of driving the Z3 with the roof down, to hear the sound of a 6 cylinder engine as you pull away.

I'm sue you'll get a great deal of fun from a 1.9, but all opinions count. :roll: