Replacement key

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
gelertd1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Replacement key

Post by gelertd1 »

I apologise in advance if this is common knowledge, but a quick search didn't bring up any similar posts, so I hope this may prove useful info..................

I have never had a second key for my 98 2.8 Z3.

Always thought about getting one cut but my local autolocksmith said £120 ish to get the key and then code it.

I suspected a similar price (or more) and faff about coding at my local main dealer. What with pressure at work etc I just never got round to doing anything about it.

Anyway a recent incident with a misplaced mobile phone made me realise that it could be the Z3 keys next time so bit the bullet and called in at my local main dealer in Hull.

My car has the separate house brick alarm fob so asked the guy on the parts desk for a no frills open and start the car key.

Apparently such a key is known as a 'service' or 'grey' key and is available from BMW's key office for any model/age of BMW with a bladed key.

Apparently even if yours has an integrated alarm fob, the key will still work - if the car has been locked with the fob, opening with the 'service' key will activate the alarm but this is cancelled when the service key is placed in the ignition.

The service key works straight out of the packet with no requirement for coding.

So at 10.00hrs yesterday I ordered the key (need to have your V5 and driving licence) - the key arrived at 09.00hrs this morning :shock:

Total cost £41.

Just tried it - and it did literally work straight out of the packet.

Now that's cheap for a main dealer key and what service - well done BMW :bow
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Replacement key

Post by Robert T »

gelertd1 wrote:The service key works straight out of the packet with no requirement for coding.
I sincerely hope that this is wrong, otherwise it means that you can buy one of these keys and drive off in anybody's car!

I suspect that what you actually mean is that having ordered a key which will be pre-coded to you car, you don't need to do anything to the car to get it to learn the new key. This is my understanding and there are only a set number of keys that can be used to start the car.

The chip for the immobiliser is separate and common to both alarms. With the separate remote, the remote electronics live in the housebrick - in the integrated type key they are a separate circuitboard inside the key. Note that whilst the later alarm can be disarmed using the immobiliser chip by putting the key in the ignition, the early type cannot, instead you must use the emergency code supplied in an envelope with the car.

Thanks for the update on price and what to ask for. I believe a few people on here have had success with buying housebricks off ebay and coding them to their cars. No such luck with the integrated type, though you can buy new cases.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
gelertd1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gelertd1 »

Hi Robert

I maybe should have emphasised the security requirements in order to obtain the key.

The only way you can get the service key for any particular car is to prove ownership i.e show the V5 for the vehicle and show your driving licence, having copied these the dealer then requires a formal declaration signing.

If you satisfy the security requirements you will get a service key which does in my experience work straight out of the packet.

I'm sure if you don't ask for a service key BMW will quote you for the full remote fob equipped version that will require the fob coding. If you just want an 'emergency' spare the service key should suit most peoples requirements.

Cheers

Steve
gelertd1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gelertd1 »

and the other thing I should have said is that the service key comes ready 'cut' to fit only your vehicle.

The way it was explained to me, had me imagining a large room with keys hung everywhere for every car BMW ever made with one guy who 'picks' them off the hook when an order comes in....I suspect it's a little more hi tech than that :lol:
Hard Top

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Hard Top »

Hi Steve, some good info there.:thumb:
HT

Titan's apprentice. :D
Titan wrote:Occupations ?
Official Devil's Advocate :devil:
Leg Puller
Micky Taker
http://www.lde.nu/index.htm
triumphted

Z3 roadster 2.8

Keys and Alarm

Post by triumphted »

Gelertd1

You will probably find the below two threads of great interest. Odds are if you lose the key you will also lose the fob.

My posts within these threads will take you to Komis' post of some years ago that I have referred countless people to.

None of it is that hard to do.

Robert is right only so many keys are 'made' with the car, or allowed to be made......

http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... highlight=

http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... highlight=

Regards

John
gelertd1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gelertd1 »

Thanks John

Strangely enough I had 2 fobs but only one key - I had used and contributed to the links you posted to in my eventual sucessful coding of the fobs.

I wonder how many keys BMW will issue against a vehicle before the computer says 'no'?

and when it does, what does the hapless owner do then?

I'm glad that obviously the previous owners of mine hadn't made too many (if any) key requests.

Cheers
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

gelertd1 wrote:I wonder how many keys BMW will issue against a vehicle before the computer says 'no'?
It is not the computer that says "no", but the car. The immobiliser will only recognise a set number of uniquely coded chips - eight if memory serves. As the car was issued with four keys when new, this leaves just four possible replacements. There was a thread on here with the numbers in quite some time ago.

Did you also have to provide your VIN to get the key? I would expect this to give them both the number of the key pattern (so they cut a new one) and the code for the immobiliser chip.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
gelertd1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gelertd1 »

I suspect they get everything off the V5, which will include the VIN - having said that the guy I spoke to seemed to be able to ascertain the key number from the registration number of the vehicle - but could only process the order on sight and copying of the V5 and driving licence.

I assumed this process was only likely on the older BMW but what I found surprising was that apparently if your car has a bladed key, whatever the age and complexity of the fob you can still obtain a 'cheap' service key enabling you to unlock and start the engine.

Steve