Rear wheels wearing out too quick

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
chris1984_99_99

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by chris1984_99_99 »

Hi guys, I did a search and couldnt find anything really aobut this subject.

I changed all 4 tyres less than 5000 miles ago, the rear wheels are already almost bald on the inside. When I was getting them put on the car the guy said the cambre didnt seem right, so I went to a mechanic who apparently adjusted it, but the problem still seems to be there, if not even worse. Theyre wearing out far too quick on the inside and almost untouched on the outside!

Has anyone ever had this problem before? If so how did you get it sorted? (PS Im the least technical person there is, so dont ask about what type of tyres I have fitted, theyre nothing fancy by any standard!)

Cheers guys!
Chris

This sideways motion is feeling all too familiar...
Hard Top

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Hard Top »

Put some tyres on them. :idea:

:lol:
HT

Titan's apprentice. :D
Titan wrote:Occupations ?
Official Devil's Advocate :devil:
Leg Puller
Micky Taker
http://www.lde.nu/index.htm
Frank.A

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Frank.A »

You can't adjust the camber on the rear unless you have fitted a camber kit.

If the car has been lowered,the camber will be more pronounced with increased wear on the inside.

2000 Topaz 2.8 Individual.

Youth would be more useful if it came later in life!
chris1984_99_99

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by chris1984_99_99 »

haha i was wondering who would come out with that one HT! :P

As for the car, its not lowered, im pretty sure it shouldnt be wearing tyres out so quickly! Im a pretty conservative driver..for the most part, certainly no wheel spin etc.

This sideways motion is feeling all too familiar...
shantybeater

Porsche

Post by shantybeater »

^ bingo, zeds are known to have negative camber on the rear even at stock height, its also completely non-adjustable without adding camber plates.
Frank.A

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Frank.A »

If your standard springs are shot,the effect will be the same as lowering. :shock:

aceman

M roadster S50

Post by aceman »

You have also got 18" wheels which will have stiffer sidewalls due to the reduced profile which will exaggerate the wear the inside more if you have any camber on the rear.
Aceman

Arctic Silver '98 Z3M

Previously;
Bright RED '99 Z3 2.8

Rocking seats ? You need seat bushes click HERE
RemarkLima

M roadster S50

Post by RemarkLima »

Still, with all that in mind, the tyres should still last more than 5000 miles surely?

I'd also get the toe checked on the rear, as too much toe in or out will cause very rapid wear on the tyre (basically, it's moving at an angle compared to the direction of travel), and with the -ve camber it'll exacerbate the problem.

Any tyre shop should be able to do toe alignment easily enough.
Frank.A

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Frank.A »

The rear toe-in is only adjustable by changing the trailing arm bushes for special eccentric BMW bushes to correct out of tolerance. :roll:

RemarkLima

M roadster S50

Post by RemarkLima »

Frank.A wrote:The rear toe-in is only adjustable by changing the trailing arm bushes for special eccentric BMW bushes to correct out of tolerance. :roll:
Really!? Wow, they didn't want anything changed on the setup at all did they! Very bizzare...
siwilson

M roadster S54

Post by siwilson »

You say they are bald on the inside, but what are they like in the middle and outer edge? If the outer edge is 4mm or below then it's probably OK. If there is a wild difference then get an alignment check done to see how far out of spec it is.

As has been said, adjustment for toe is only via eccentric bushes or a weld in option. Camber can be adjusted with and eccentric bush or by changing the thickness of the spring pads.

Do you do a lot of motorway driving?
TaffZee

blank

Post by TaffZee »

Depends on what tyres you are using, and what compound, the rear tyres will normaly show wear first on the inside due to the set up of the suspension. Super Soft compound tyres will only last around 5000 miles on the drive wheels..
Image1998 Atlanta Blue 2.8
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

I imagine a squarer shouldered tyre will wear more that a rounded shoulder, on mine you can see the rear wheels splayed out when viewed from the rear but don't seem to suffer any undue wear.

Not sure what tyres you have fitted but might be worth trying a pair of Michelins as they tend to be harder wearing, when I changed the alloys and took the Michelin PS3 off there was no inside shoulder wear on them.

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport