Z3 to a MX5 MK1/2 ??

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
mooney

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Z3 to a MX5 MK1/2 ??

Post by mooney »

has anyone ever downgraded their Z3 to a Mazda MX5 mark 1 or 2?

It's just that with feeling the squeeze money wise we have put the zed up for sale, but really love enjoying the rear wheel drive and the soft top, so thinking that a MX5 should be a good cheap alternative and should in theory have cheaper insurance, tax & fuel costs than my current 3.0 sport.

Am I mad to even consider it, or should I be looking to pick up an older Z3 1.9 instead?
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Nope your not mad at all, I was considering the MX5 Coupe before I bought the 1 Series, the only thing that put me off is the MX5 is considerably smaller than a Z3, bootspace is less than a MINIs and I parked the Zed next to an MX5 a while back and it is a small car in comparision. Consider the reliability of the Mazda as well and that it is a better handling car than the Zed, but I would go for the Zed purely on build quality :lol:

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
Bill-

blank.gif

Post by Bill- »

its not a better handling car than my Z :D
Beemer Man

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Beemer Man »

IMO the Z3 and MX-5 are different animals. We've had my wife's '97 1.8iS MX-5 for over 6 years/40,000 miles and it handles like a go-cart. With double wishbone suspension on all four corners it is a true sports car, and designed as such from the ground up.

On the other hand, "my" facelift 2000 2.8 Z3, which we've had for 4 months/3,000 miles handles very well, but is more of a sports tourer (by comparison).

Boot space is comparable; 14" Toyo tyres for the MX-5 are UKP 50 fitted and 16" Pirelli P7s for the Z3 are UKP 117. Insurance is comparable, at sub-UKP 200 for each through an Admiral multi-car policy.

Surprisingly the Z3, with 193 BHP is more economical, returning 34-40 mpg, whereas the MX-5, with 130 BHP never drops below 29mpg, but only ever reaches 32 mpg on a run.

The MX-5 does what it says on the tin-it is a low-cost sports car. It is tinny, and we feel vulnerable on the motorway.

The Z3 on the other hand is a BMW, and built accordingly, even though the design of the suspension is slightly compromised. It is as comfortable as a 5-Series, amazingly tractable with that 2.8 engine and I love it.

It puts a smile on my face every time I fire it up and hear the burbling exhaust. The MX-5, great little car that it is, has never never pulled at my heart strings in the same way!
Mouldy

Not specified

Re: Z3 to a MX5 MK1/2 ??

Post by Mouldy »

mooney wrote:has anyone ever downgraded their Z3 to a Mazda MX5 mark 1 or 2?
I wouldn't call it a downgrade. The MX5 has been highly regarded since it first came out in the late 80's and has become the World's best selling roadster and hasn't earned that reputation without good reason.

I've driven the Mk2 and Mk 3 versions and think that they are much more of a sports car than the Zed, purely because they handle supremely well out of the box. No need for fancy suspension mods, strut braces or other stuff to make them a true driver's car.

Don't forget that Mazda also have an enviable reputation for reliability, too. No issues with dodgy diff mounts, rocking drivers seats or broken seat belt guides. For what it's worth, I don't believe that the American built Zed ever came up to the quality of the German built BMWs anyway.

The only reason that I had a Z3 over an MX5 was simply down to the engine . . . . . I 'm a sucker for 6 cylinder engines and have owned an MG ZS 180 saloon with a 2.5 V6 and a Subaru Legacy 3.0 with a boxer 6 in the past and would still have one as a daily driver if it wasn't for the crazy cost of fuel now.

Skoda Octavia vRS TSi DSG on Tour at Rocamadour
Mouldy

Not specified

Re: Z3 to a MX5 MK1/2 ??

Post by Mouldy »

mooney wrote:has anyone ever downgraded their Z3 to a Mazda MX5 mark 1 or 2?
Double post . . . . . .whoops!!!! :oops:

Skoda Octavia vRS TSi DSG on Tour at Rocamadour
Beemer Man

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Beemer Man »

An excellent summary of the two, Mouldy-and that 2.8 six engine was one of the main reasons for me buying the Z3 too!

In 14 years/70,000 miles the MX-5 hasn't had a spanner near the suspension, other than full 4-wheel alignment on two occasions.

To refresh the Z3, (slightly fewer miles than the Mazda) in 4 months of ownership it's had both front lower ball joints replaced, along with front control arm rear bushes, arb drop links, rear axle beam bushes, copper brake lines throughout, new rear O/S brake caliper, discs and pads all round, all drive belts, fluids and lubricants, air con re-gas and two rear tyres-oh and an Inspection 1.

And that's with a (genuine) FSH!

Total cost of the above, using an excellent Indy, was UKP 1,500++, but I've still got a UKP 30K "mini supercar" for a fifth of the cost new.

Would I do it all again?-You bet I would!!
Ming

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Ming »

Couldn't agree more with what's been said - we originally looked at an MX5 mark 2 1.8 as an ideal introduction to soft top 2 seater motoring but when my wife saw the Z3 shape and heard the 6 cylinder noise it was all over. :)

If money was an object then the MX5 is available cheaper and no doubt will cost less to run but for the few miles we do I'll take the hit on maintenance and look forward to actually driving the thing - if we had an MX5 it would I fear be too soulless and we'd end up getting another motorcycle for kicks. The Zed is my superbike replacement.........and a tad safer :shock:
Get The Bloody Roof Down!!
mooney

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by mooney »

Some excellent replies.
Thanks guys
Bill-

blank.gif

Post by Bill- »

Mooney hope you dont mind me asking, did u buy that car in Guildford?
Jamezee

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Jamezee »

Ahh all very good, but do they do them in Zilver :?:
Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one. Harry Callahan.

BMW dust caps x 4 (replica)
Little Tree Air Freshener-Vanillaroma (now worn out and in the bin)
2006 AA road atlas (with the latest safety cameras)
mooney

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by mooney »

Bill- wrote:Mooney hope you dont mind me asking, did u buy that car in Guildford?
I didnt no - it came from a trader in Buckinghamshire.

But the trader had got it from a Jaguar dealer somewhere else (which could have been guilford - i will have to check the numberplate, as it still has the jaguar plates on)
Greg Allan

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Greg Allan »

Have only ever been a passenger in a second generation 2004 MX5 and I test drove a 1996 monaco special edition second generation MX5 before I settled on the Z3.

There were too many interior problems with the 1996 MX5, and it lacked PAS.

I didnt like way the 2004 MX5 seats felt like they where angled up hill, like a dentists chair.

Whenever I see another Z3 on the road I am filled with a sense of pride and whenever I see an MX5, which seems like every 5 minutes on the M80, I feel a mild sense of relief that I never bought one.

And that is the other problem for me; There are simply too many MX5s on the road for them to feel special in that way that a soft top roadster should.
motco

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by motco »

My next door neighbour is a real MX5 fan and has a new one it seems every couple of years. I simply could not have bought one and been subject to the inevitable scrutiny: cleanliness, trim level, "Why don't you join the Mazda Club", etc. Anyway, every time I fire up my beautiful 6 cylinder Z3 I try to make sure he hears it! :P
Cloz

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Cloz »

motco wrote: Anyway, every time I fire up my beautiful 6 cylinder Z3 I try to make sure he hears it! :P
:roflmao: :thumb:
Beemer Man

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Beemer Man »

Interesting comment, motco-we couldn't bring ourselves to join the MX-5 Owners' Club either, even though they are a very active bunch and appear just as enthusiastic as us.

I'm not sure too many of them would qualify as petrolheads, however!
Ian_C

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Ian_C »

Beemer Man wrote:Interesting comment, motco-we couldn't bring ourselves to join the MX-5 Owners' Club either, even though they are a very active bunch and appear just as enthusiastic as us.

I think I'm missing something here. If you're enthusiastic, join an owners' club and contribute to the relevant forum(s) what else is it you need to do to 'qualify' as a petrolhead :?
Current...1998 ///M Coupe
Previously...1997 Z3 2.8
Beemer Man

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Beemer Man »

Good question-all depends on the definition of petrolhead, I suppose. I certainly wasn't intending to disparage MX-5 owners, having now owned a late MK1 for over 6 years and enjoyed over 40,000 miles in it, during which it has never missd a beat!

As I've stated, before, IMO it's a true low cost sports car which does everything it says on the tin.

We've met many MX-5 owners and they're just as enthusiastic as Zed owners. Certainly, MK1 owners invariably wave to one another, which is not always the case with Zed owners.

As a replacement for my long term (and much missed) E30 M3, however, the MX-5 has never quite hit the emotional spot, whereas the 2.8 six makes me smile every time I fire Zed up-even before I've driven out of the garage!
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Fancy engine note aside I think people forget the MX5 was designed with a certain criteria in mind and that is to be one of the best handling small sports cars of which it is, which is why it would run rings around a standard Z3. The problem for me is the MX5 has just never been a looker so has always dropped down the list. The Zed on the other hand still makes me give it a second glance each time I walk away from it.

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
mooney

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by mooney »

mooney wrote:
Bill- wrote:Mooney hope you dont mind me asking, did u buy that car in Guildford?
I didnt no - it came from a trader in Buckinghamshire.

But the trader had got it from a Jaguar dealer somewhere else (which could have been guilford - i will have to check the numberplate, as it still has the jaguar plates on)
It came from Watford jaguar. Before that the previous owner had kept it in Bournmouth all of it's life.
motco

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by motco »

Beemer Man wrote:Interesting comment, motco-we couldn't bring ourselves to join the MX-5 Owners' Club either, even though they are a very active bunch and appear just as enthusiastic as us.

My neighbour would - he has a Jaguar 'S' Type R and another 1970s Jag in the garage (can't recall the model). But the club is populated with Fair-Isle sleeveless pullover wearing, bearded sandal wearers if the folk I see to-ing and fro-ing from his front door are anything to go by. I think it's the overly matey 'all-off-to-the-Continent-together' bit that doesn't suit me. To avoid misunderstanding, I like the Mazda and have no bad words for it but I like my Z3 more. It has a touch of class that the common-or-garden MX5 cannot match.

Edited to add: No offence meant to any members of Z Roadster forum who happen to have beards and/or Fair-Isle pullovers, obviously! Ladies excluded from the former feature. :P
Jays Zed

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Jays Zed »

I seem to remember when the first generation of MX5's came out, Performance car magazine hailed it as a modern replacement for the original Lotus Elan!!!! I've a friend who's a complete MX5 nut. He's got 9 to date in various states of repair. His drive is a 1.8 with a Supercharger on it!!! It ain't slow!!! I considered an MX5 when looking for a fun weekend summer car. However as has been mentioned before, it just didn't feel substantial. Also I think the Z3 is far better looking. But hey, horses for courses!!!! I've made my decision and haven't been disappointed!!!! Zed's rock!!!! :wink:
Jays Zed

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Jays Zed »

I seem to remember when the first generation of MX5's came out, Performance car magazine hailed it as a modern replacement for the original Lotus Elan!!!! I've a friend who's a complete MX5 nut. He's got 9 to date in various states of repair. His drive is a 1.8 with a Supercharger on it!!! It ain't slow!!! I considered an MX5 when looking for a fun weekend summer car. However as has been mentioned before, it just didn't feel substantial. Also I think the Z3 is far better looking. But hey, horses for courses!!!! I've made my decision and haven't been disappointed!!!! Zed's rock!!!! :wink: