1.9 DIY exhaust

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
earthwormjim

Z3 roadster 1.9

1.9 DIY exhaust

Post by earthwormjim »

I replaced the back half of my exhaust last weekend, fearing imminent MoT failure as the original was blowing quite nicely (and bits were falling off it). Best quote to get it done from an exhaust centre was nearly 400 quid.

Some cars might be worth spending 400 on for half an exhaust, but my Zed, much as I like it, didn't cost a lot of money - I don't need to be doubling its value with half an exhaust pipe :)

So if anyone else fancies a go at a DiY exhaust here's the picture guide, the pipe is from 'On-Line Autosport', and is made by Hoffmann. To be honest I've got no idea if its any good, but its guaranteed for 2 years, cost £120, and sounds surprisingly good.

First up on some borrowed ramps; (thanks Graeme for the lend).
and get underneath;

(the broken flowerpot is to help support the backend whilst fiddling with the joint).

Two rubber hangers on the back box need to be prised out, mole grips help, then the centre hanger. finally undo the flange bolts holding it to the front section of the exhaust.
Have 10/12/13mm spanners to hand for this.

Here is the old one alongside the new;

Hopefully you can see the bits I've described. You can see that the pipes are not identical by any means, but are the same where it counts.

Here are the parts that hold the front and back together;

I replaced the lot for a tenner from the dealer, but probably didn't need to - the nuts definitely need doing, these are 50p each, but the bolts aren't too bad and the springs are a fiver (~fiver wasted I think).

shiny new parts;

fitting is simple enough, flower pot comes in handy for this, as does a bit of Holts Firegum around the joint.

Fitted;

And the joint bolted up;

View from above;

It lacks the chrome tail pipe of the original, but otherwise I don't think it looks too out of place. I could probably add a chrome tail.

Passed the MoT, and definitely sounds better than the original, without being too loud or 'boy racer'.
Bill-

blank.gif

Post by Bill- »

I'm lost for words :shock:
si-forks

Z3 roadster 1.9

Diy

Post by si-forks »

Great write up just what I need for my 97 1.9 I to would not pay £400 for a back box when my car is worth about £2800 chrome tail pipe job done :D
E30 318 1988 Gone
E36 320 1992 Gone

E36 328 1995 write off

E39 525d M Sport 2003 Current
E37 Z3 M44B1.9 1997 Current
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Great write up and piccies :lol: a nice chrome finisher or one in gloss black would be the iceing on the cake 8-)

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
earthwormjim

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by earthwormjim »

Thanks guys, I'm glad someone liked it :) clearly not Bills thing.

Hadn't thought of a black tailpipe, nice idea!
earthwormjim

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by earthwormjim »

I have to update this thread with sorry tale, and a word of warning – be very wary about using ‘hoffmann’ exhausts. My suggestion right now at least would be to *avoid* them. :evil:

All was well on this one for the first couple of days, then I noticed it was rattling when it got hot, I had a look underneath and checked all the fixings, everything looked fine so I called Online Autosport who without hesitation offered to send me another one straight away.

I fitted that one only to find that one rattled too! Getting somewhat suspicious now, I had a more thorough look and found the problem is basically one of design, check this pic;

Hopefully you can see that the original has a flat spot in it, the copy does not. Theres a good reason for that flat spot being there!

Check this;

The clearance is literally 1 or 2mm, as soon as it warms up, it makes contact. I sent the pics to Online Autosport, who have sent them on to the manufacturer. The manufacturers response to them was in essence “its a budget exhaust, what do you expect?”!

(mmm, well, I don’t know, something at least fit for purpose maybe??) :head:

Online Autosport to their credit have been very good, and have offered me a full refund, so I want to be clear that I don’t have a problem with them, just the ‘hoffmann’ exhaust.

I have the choice now of whether to return the exhausts (I have 2 now!) and get a Timax for 200 quid, or take a hammer to one and make my own flat spot - tempting as hell but risking damage and warranty invalidation.

any ideas anyone?
spurs fan in a coupe

Z3 coupe 2.8

Post by spurs fan in a coupe »

My new cat from Timex rattled like heck too, I put it on for the MoT and then replaced it with the empty cat again, flat spot issues identical (as far as I remember) and just a slightly different shape, thicker welds etc.

as they say, you get what you pay for but my £200 for a Timex cat didn't get me very far.

Sorry to not be of much help!
we expres: " He did hear the bells ringing, but doesnt know where where the clapper hangs".
earthwormjim

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by earthwormjim »

spurs fan in a coupe, that is actually a huge help, if the timax one is just as bad, I know not to bother with it.

cheers! :cheers
Lazzzydog

blank.gif

Post by Lazzzydog »

For goodness sake you have 2 cheap exhausts for the price of one. Just put one away for future use, batter one with a hammer in the right spot and use it now and to h*ll with the warranty! :head:
earthwormjim

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by earthwormjim »

:lol: yeah, thanks. I pretty much decided to do that after reading spurs fans post last night, its gonna be noisy in my garage later!

what I don't get though is that it would (presumably) take the manufacturers 2 minutes to roll or press in a flat bit, making this a decent exhaust - so why don't they??

- it does sound great, maybe becuase those 2 silencers are completely empty boxes....

:wink: