Auto or Manual

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Wingcruizer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Auto or Manual

Post by Wingcruizer »

Can anyone tell me the good or bad things between a manual 3.0 and an auto one as i'm thinking i'm not sure which way to go??
:head:
macca

Z4 sDrive20i M Sport

Post by macca »

I have a 3.0l auto Z4 and wouldn't go for a manual because it's laid back cruising. No hassle trying to find the right gear, no hassle with aching leg when in traffic. It horses for courses really.
si-forks

Z3 roadster 1.9

manual

Post by si-forks »

manuals are more fun :lol: :lol: :lol:
E30 318 1988 Gone
E36 320 1992 Gone

E36 328 1995 write off

E39 525d M Sport 2003 Current
E37 Z3 M44B1.9 1997 Current
billz

Z4 roadster 3.0si

Post by billz »

Dont think you would be dissapointed which ever one you went for :D
bill
Image ImageImageUploaded with ImageShack.com
Z3 3.0 Sports Sold
Z4 3.0si Ruby Black with Champagne Leather and Piano Black Dash
mwpe

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by mwpe »

It depends what you want it for. For pure fun, I would go for a manual, but for practicality an auto. The auto is relaxed and easy for every day use and if you want to play put it in sport mode or manual mode and go. I have a 3 litre auto and it is great fun. It also came in very useful when I broke my ankle and spent 3 months on crutches as I was able to dive all the time.
trigg35

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by trigg35 »

well i guess the auto will be a bit slower and use more fuel but the z3 hasnt got the best gearbox/clutch setup.some will say that theirs is fine but not a week goes by without the issue being raised with people trying a different clutch hose/gear knob/delay valve removal etc to try and improve the gear change.its the only vehicle ive had where i must put effort into the change to keep it smooth.pulling away and 1st to 2nd is the worst.after that its fine.drive a couple and see for yourself.then again with the manual i like the control you have as the engine note is like music to my ears.
Cloz

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Cloz »

If I was driving a lot in traffic my choice would be auto. I think the car is like a tiger in a cage. You still have a beast but but open the cage with manual transmission oh! boy you have then all that the beast can give.
I just think of the sound of my 2.8 give went I down shift.....man! It's a feeling beyond words. 8-)

C
hornel Z3M

blank

z

Post by hornel Z3M »

I personally think the auto gearbox is for the older driver, my two neighbours who are in their 80`s will only buy automatics. I would rather manual as it is more like proper driving, if you know what i mean :lol:
Badman gee

M roadster S50

Post by Badman gee »

take both types out on a good run, and see what you prefer.

:D

The 'BEAST' 666
macca

Z4 sDrive20i M Sport

Re: z

Post by macca »

hornel Z3M wrote:I personally think the auto gearbox is for the older driver, my two neighbours who are in their 80`s will only buy automatics. I would rather manual as it is more like proper driving, if you know what i mean :lol:
You trying to say i'm old ???? What a minute, ummm you may be right...lol
Bill-

blank.gif

Post by Bill- »

if the engine is a BMW and a big one then auto for me I had a 3 litre 3V8 5 series with sports mode & boy it was quick off the line just stamp yr foot down no slipping the clutch :D

Modern Autos are pretty good IMHO

Hello Bill Z how you doing :thumbs up:
amancuso

Z3 roadster 2.3

Post by amancuso »

billz wrote:Dont think you would be dissapointed which ever one you went for :D
bill
I agree with Bill.
Driven both, loved 'em both. Mine however is an automatic.
2000 Z3 2.3 Topaz Blue Metallic over Black and Sandbeige leather.
6 pot roadster

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by 6 pot roadster »

Stick with a manual...
My 2.8 will happily pull from 500 rpm in traffic in 4th gear!! it's as good as an auto around town. I don't think the clutch is heavy and the gear change is amongst the best for rear wheel drive I've tried.
Remember the 'Z' is a sports car, show it an open road.....
mooney

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by mooney »

I am quite happy with the gear change on the zed. Its a meaningful change, and the whole car feels it.

Going into the mini, the gearchange might be easier to make it smooth, but it's so much more of a heavy gear change that in stop start trafficmy left leg will hurt like crazy.

Whilst on trip through France with the zed we had a bit of traffic that was stop start for about 10 miles and my leg was fine
Wingcruizer

Z3 roadster 2.8

MMMM Auto maybe then

Post by Wingcruizer »

:) well I thing I need to find an Auto and a manual some where and try them out ? The trouble is there are not to many in South Wales to see :(
I am thinking more of an auto 3.0 I think as I like my autos :) so I will have to see what I can find :) thanks for all your help i've taken it all in my small brain lol
Oh yes if there are any CLEAN looking Z3's out there please let me know thank Ian :lol:
Bill-

blank.gif

Post by Bill- »

Mines very clean wingy but its only a 2.2 :)
Wingcruizer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Wingcruizer »

you have not had that long Bill ?? if I remember right..
Bill-

blank.gif

Post by Bill- »

2 months wingy & over 5,000 miles its a minter tho but I've just lost my winter storage thinking it will get hurt in a British winter outside
Wingcruizer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Wingcruizer »

Sorry to here that Bill same it was not a 3ltr :( I would have checked it out :)
Bill-

blank.gif

Post by Bill- »

its so well set up you need a G suit to go round corners
Rob Tan

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Rob Tan »

I love a manual drive car. But that is because I am a control freak!

I love to go round a corner in the hill, drop a gear, plant boot and feel the arse of the car BITE into the road. Awesome fun! When I'm driving I don't think about the gears, as it's pretty much second nature for me to just do what needs to be done.

That said, around town I can understand why many people would want auto. It's just not for me.