Battery Disconnection

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Fender2004

Z3 roadster 2.8

Battery Disconnection

Post by Fender2004 »

Can I just check that I am disconnecting my battery the right way.

After removing the terminals off the battery the alarm goes off, then using the special round key, I am able to turn the alarm off too.

Is that it :?: or do you turn the alarm off first, then disconnect the battery or does it not matter :?:

BTW I have a 1997 2.8

Cheers :D
hornel Z3M

blank

z

Post by hornel Z3M »

Doesnt matter either way, but if you have neighbours then one turns it off first, also make sure you disconect the earth first when taking off and connect earth last when re-connecting :wink:
Fender2004

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fender2004 »

Thanks for that I just wanted to confirm that I was right :thumb:
Acousticplayer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Acousticplayer »

Hi all.
I`m the guy who purchased the 2.8 Zed from BAZ081184 and previously owned by Aceman. I`m still finding my way round the car although I`v been following the forum for a while hoping to prepare myself for future eventualities. This post has prompted some thoughts.
Excuse me if this is a stupid question but am I to assume that if I disconnect the battery at any time, this will set the alarm off.If so what is the round key that is mentioned and since I don`t appear to have one how would I turn the alarm off in those circumstances

Probably many more stupid questions to follow!!
hornel Z3M

blank

z

Post by hornel Z3M »

with your car keys you should have a small round key that fits into the alarm unit shown in the above photos. you turn the siren off and on from that point. this is not the actual car alarm but the siren for when someone tries to take the battery off to stop the alarm working..
Acousticplayer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Acousticplayer »

Hi Hornel. Thanks for that.I can`t see any photos you refer to, can you direct me further. I only have one master key no special round key. Is it so "special" I would have to source it from main dealer?
Regards David.
hornel Z3M

blank

z

Post by hornel Z3M »

sorry mate, got mixed up with the threads i was reading. If you go to the guy with No Alarm on his car the pics are there and all the keys .
Acousticplayer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Acousticplayer »

OK Hornel. Thanks very much for that.

Regards David.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

No need to panic. There is no round key for the later alarm as it is not needed. The early alarm (with the separate fob) had a battery backup on the siren, but was not integrated with the immobiliser. The later alarm (with the buttons on the key) has no battery backup, but is integrated with the immobiliser and can be reset by putting the key in the ignition and turning it.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
weegeoff

Z4 roadster 2.0i

Post by weegeoff »

I don,t think you should put your keys in the ignition
Acousticplayer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Acousticplayer »

Thanks Robert T. That explains why I have no round key but it still begs the question will the alarm sound if I disconnect the battery? Don`t want any surprises if I lay the Zed up for winter.
Fender2004

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fender2004 »

Just quickly disconect then reconect the battery then at least you will know one
way or the other