Traction control/abs warning lights

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Jays Zed

Z3 roadster 2.8

Traction control/abs warning lights

Post by Jays Zed »

Hi all,

The traction control/ stability control light and amber abs lights are permenantly lit. I've drawn the conclusion that it's down to one of the abs sensors as it's all tied in ( at least i think thats the case reading other posts!) Now here comes the questions. Is it best to have the fault codes read to diagnose which sensor is duff or once they've been cleaned it'll sort itself out? :?

Hope someone can help as I'm not in the habit of paying out money for no reason especially as Wood BMW want to charge £111+vat to read the codes!!!!! :shock:

Oh it's a 2000 plate 2.8 :)
Bill-

blank.gif

Post by Bill- »

try & spin the back wheels on some loose stuff (in a safe place of course) if you can spin up with the traction on then i guess its not working..I cant in my car I've tried

I stopped in a very sandy layby & pulled away with 'Gusto'with my left wheels in the dirt no spinning :shock: I was very impressed
Bill-

blank.gif

Post by Bill- »

May I ad I have the same problem on a VW I have & the abs is still working.

ABS & ESP in same control box.. its the controller thats at fault i gather

I have been quoted over a grand to do the job but its not an mot issue so I have left it (and for the old duffers on here, it did pass a recent MOT)
:D
GazHyde

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by GazHyde »

My 1999 2.0 has this on and off. The lights have gone off again after 6 weeks on permanently.

I can tell you from experience you don't have ABS or traction control AT ALL when the lights are on...

Common cause is the sensors. Really easy to remove and clean, just takes time jacking and removing the wheels...
Bill-

blank.gif

Post by Bill- »

Gaz you saying this has made me think that I may need to clean the sensors on my Touran thanks for the hint I'll look in to it

Sorry to Hyjack the thread
Bill

PS I have tourettes..
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

ABS pumps can fail, but the most common cause is a dirty sensor.

If the lights are on BOTH SYSTEMS ARE DISABLED. You will have neither ABS nor Traction Control. These systems err on the side of caution, and if a fault is detected they are deactivated, as having them activate at the wrong time is deemed worse than them not working at all - the brakes still work, but be prepared to practices cadence braking and watch for spinning the rear wheels up in the wet.

Unlike the airbag light, they do not need the fault code resetting in order to clear the lights. They often clear after a few restarts, only to return the first time the car detects a disparity in wheel rotation speeds.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
GazHyde

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by GazHyde »

Robert T wrote: the brakes still work, but be prepared to practices cadence braking and watch for spinning the rear wheels up in the wet.
Yup :D

It's whats called old school driving... but a little disconcerting at first. Been living with it on and off for the last year, but really want to sort it before the winter.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

GazHyde wrote:It's whats called old school driving...
Or classic motoring if you prefer... I even get to practice what it feels like when the power brakes fail in my other car! :D

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Jays Zed

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Jays Zed »

Might be worth cutting some holes in the floor in the case of braking flintstone style!!!! :lol:

If I get someone to plug one of the diagnostic computer gizmo's in, will it tell me which sensor is the cause? I don't want to be taking the wrong wheel sensor out and cause more problems!!!! :?
philjwb

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by philjwb »

I had the same issue on my Z3 a few moths back, I asked the garage to do a diagnostic whilst it was in for a service and they were able to identify which wheel it was a didn't charge me.

I changed the ABS sensor myself and the problem was solved.

I recommend getting a diagnostic as my sensor was a real pain to remove and snapped during the removal process. If yours are like mine, you wouldn't want to remove each one and test by trial and error..
Jays Zed

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Jays Zed »

Thanks for that phil, that's what I thought would be the case. Just need someone around Poole/ Bournemouth who's not going to charge the earth just to read the fault codes!!!! :)
RemarkLima

M roadster S50

Post by RemarkLima »

If it's a dirty sensor then "normally" the ABS lights will go off when the cars started and then only come back on once you get moving.

The inital check of the sensors andthey all return an expected value, but then as you drive one isn't returning a speed signal, hence the error.

If it's always on then it's probably a duff sensor... The fronts are cheap and easy to come by, the rears seem to be a bit harder to find.
GazHyde

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by GazHyde »

RemarkLima wrote:The fronts are cheap and easy to come by, the rears seem to be a bit harder to find.
It's an odd thing, but true. You can get the front sensors of eBay and the likes for around £20 each, but the rears you can only seem to get from BMW for around £75 each.

Unless anyone knows different that is :?:
RemarkLima

M roadster S50

Post by RemarkLima »

GazHyde wrote:
RemarkLima wrote:The fronts are cheap and easy to come by, the rears seem to be a bit harder to find.
It's an odd thing, but true. You can get the front sensors of eBay and the likes for around £20 each, but the rears you can only seem to get from BMW for around £75 each.

Unless anyone knows different that is :?:
I needed a rear, and ended up getting on from here:
http://www.worldcarparts.co.uk/tabid/14 ... fault.aspx

As it was the best price... I was a little concerned about the dodgy website, but the sensor arrived in no time and fitted perfectly... All been working for months so can't complain!

They seem to have fairly decent prices on most sensors as well, so one to check.

I think some have said E36 / E46 sensor work, they just have a longer cable, but the diagrams look different so it would be a bit of a gamble to see if they fit.
GazHyde

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by GazHyde »

Nice one, bookmarked this for later...! :thumb:
Jays Zed

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Jays Zed »

Just had the car fault coded and apparently I've got either two blown rear sensors or the ABS brain is fried!!!! I've yet to get the car up and wheels off to check the sensors. If you put a voltmeter across the plugs of the abs sensors (once unplugged) and spin the wheel you should get a reading, indicating they're working. I'm kinda hoping I don't get a reading as I'd sooner buy two sensors than the brain!!!! I'll hopefully post tomorrow with further updates!!!!! :(
Zed Carer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Zed Carer »

Mine came on whilst I was on the M1 on Saturday - the first time for about 6 months. Stopped for a coffee started the car and moved off and the lights stayed on for about 300 to 400 yds and then went out. I've always assumed that it's a dirty sensor and did try once to get one out but it was siezed in so left them alone. Its probably done this 5 or 6 times in 3.5 years and so far (touching wood quickly) has always reset itself after a short stop (5 to 10 mins).
Hers: Z4 2.0i Sp --------------------- His: Z3 2.8
Midsomer Mikey

Z3 roadster 1.9

Abs / Traction control lights

Post by Midsomer Mikey »

Cleaned sensors then replaced them all for about same price as fault code charges at garage, I had to replace the pump in the end. got one off e-bay for about £50 second hand straight forward swap ,you must match up the pump no`s

Plus i know the age of the sensors now :wink: