Insurance companies - what a rip off !

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
paulb1976

Insurance companies - what a rip off !

Post by paulb1976 »

What's happening with insurance policies ?? Just got my renewal today for 3.0 Z3 , 2000 reg, 35 yrs old, 13 years NCB and 5000 miles a year. It's gone up from £600 to £1,200 in 12 months with an extra years NCB and no other changes :shock:

Rang up privilege who offered me a massive £100 off to keep my custom at which point i told them to get lost. They then went on to say that the maximum NCB they would issue is 9 years as that's all the computer will let them do :nerd: After much arguing they've agreed to send me a letter with 13 years NCB but insist it's irrelevent as most companies max out at 9 years anybody heard of this before ???

Anyway I've ended up with the cheapest policy at £600 with swiftcover using the compare sites, can anybody else recommend any others ??

cheers
hornel Z3M

blank

z

Post by hornel Z3M »

Try Adrian Flux, they were the cheapest i found. £300 for a 3.2 M :wink:
paulb1976

Post by paulb1976 »

Thanks mate that's tomorrows job then.
freds dad

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by freds dad »

I'm just starting the great insurance hunt again as mine is due on the 17th.

My renewal quote for a 49 year old with a 2.8 with 6000 miles a year living in Macclesfiled with 13 years NCB was £472.
A quick 30 minute search this afternoon has got it down to £248 an initial saving of £224!

It certainly pays to shop around.
msassoon

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by msassoon »

License to print money. And to be honest, you are covered for very little, and your premium will go up if you have an accident regardless of how's fault it is.

I used Sky Insurance with the GTO, but changed to More Than as they were cheaper. Sky are still worth it as they deal with sports cars, like Adrian Flux.
Cheers

Marc
swamper

M roadster S50

Post by swamper »

try these.... http://www.rhclassicinsurance.co.uk/ £230 IIRC fully comp with European brake down cover.. :wink:
the badness makes me do it...!

Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

It seems to be different for everybody.. Depends where you live, job, ncb..etc....
Mine went up £80 this year with no changes...

Dont always settle for the cheapest quote tho as some companys on these compare sites are useless if you read the reviews...

I have full cover, 9ncb, 29 and payed £500... A flux... (Mods declaired)
Its funny tho as i only payed £390 for the same cover two years ago...

Insurance is a rip off now.... But what can you do....
///M Roadster - Evolve Stage 3
Ragtop

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Ragtop »

My insurance is due on Nov. 1st so will be keeping an eye on this thread, although I do realise as Z3cade says your job, age, ncb, postcode does effect the price you pay.

I am currently with L.V. and have not had my renewal notice yet, the AA have quoted me £330.
Ming

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Ming »

If you haven't already, get a quote with your wife as named driver (assuming you have one......) - ours was cheaper with my wife as main driver (car is in her name BTW so no worries there) and even my van insurance (for courier use) was cheaper with her named on the policy even though she'll never drive it :roll:

You gotta play the system as long as you stay within the rules.....
Get The Bloody Roof Down!!
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

But dont put your misses on if she has any points... :shock:

was quoted £900 with her on it!! she has a heavy foot... :roll:

but yes if your partner is clean it should go down..
TWO

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by TWO »

Hi Swamper. PM sent
swamper

M roadster S50

Post by swamper »

:wink:
the badness makes me do it...!

Wingcruizer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Wingcruizer »

I just had mine for £350 from Footman and James :) I have no no claims as it's a second car and 3 points for a mobile phone offence :) So if you car is over 10 years old, they have a new policy for that :) as i had many other quotes up to £956 from BMW insurance?? what a joke !!
freds dad

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by freds dad »

I'm looking at compare the meerkat and although their quotes are a couple of quid higher than moneysupermarket I will get two cuddly toy meerkats as the Mazda needs renewing also.

My plan is to go with them and sell the meerkats on Fleabay where they are fetching around £30 each so this times two will reduce my costs.

Simples
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

My misses has renewed with them and got a meerkat toy ;-) didnt know they were selling for that :shock:
Had better nick it back off her 2yr old niece... :twisted:
Zed Carer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Zed Carer »

Z3cade wrote:But dont put your misses on if she has any points... :shock:

was quoted £900 with her on it!! she has a heavy foot... :roll:

but yes if your partner is clean it should go down..
When my wife paid her 2nd donation and got another 3 points I was fearful when I rang Admiral when the renewal was due. Luckily they treated it very well and it made no real difference to the premium. However as she is the main driver for the Z4 we now have following excesses on the Z4:

His: £250. :D' Hers: £1,500 :cry:

We didn't have a choice over the £1,500 but (hopefully) better than 5 years of higher premiums.
Hers: Z4 2.0i Sp --------------------- His: Z3 2.8
bajahammer

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by bajahammer »

I work in the insurance broking industry and all insurers are barstewards !!
I absolutely loath and hate them !!
If I could give any of you one piece of advice then it would be to tell any prospective insurer or broker about any modifications that you or any previous owner has made to the car.
It does not matter how big or how small the modification is but you must declare it too them.
If you do not and a claim arises an engineer will be appointed to take a look at your car and if he finds the slightest thing that is not 'standard' your claim will not be honoured and the policy will be cancelled abinitio !

I have seen this happen on many occasions - be warned !
paulb1976

Post by paulb1976 »

well just got my quote from adrianflux £1,074 :D not be taking that one out then.

just for clarity does anyone know if you can get away with putting the missus down as common law if we aren't married but have lived together for ages ?? looks like it will bring my policy down by 30% or so. but the definition is so vague :rtm:
Frank.A

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Frank.A »

paulb1976 wrote:well just got my quote from adrianflux £1,074 :D not be taking that one out then.

just for clarity does anyone know if you can get away with putting the missus down as common law if we aren't married but have lived together for ages ?? looks like it will bring my policy down by 30% or so. but the definition is so vague :rtm:
According to Confused.com 'common law' is a recognized status.

By the way Aviva are now doing Multi-car policies.Son No.1 has saved nearly £200 on his Caravelle.

2000 Topaz 2.8 Individual.

Youth would be more useful if it came later in life!
wonderloaf

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by wonderloaf »

freds dad wrote:I'm looking at compare the meerkat and although their quotes are a couple of quid higher than moneysupermarket I will get two cuddly toy meerkats as the Mazda needs renewing also.

My plan is to go with them and sell the meerkats on Fleabay where they are fetching around £30 each so this times two will reduce my costs.

Simples
:head: :head: I took my policy out with comparethemarket .com in the first week of August. Just looked on the website to claim the toy and I'm about a week too late...thought the toy was sent you automatically when you took out the policy!

Could do with the £30 as well as my missus has just told me that she might be losing her job! :head: :head:
2001 Titan Silver 2.2 Sport
EnthuZiaZT

Z3 roadster 2.0

Compare the Meerkat.com

Post by EnthuZiaZT »

:roll: Does this mean that it will be insure the Stuffed Meerkat now, :lol: probably find that they will become a rare collectors item with people fighting over them.
Mike & Sandy - Mora Metallic Individual 2.0L

IMG_1038.jpg~originalImage
sishades

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by sishades »

Just got mine, fully comp for 227 pounds via compare the small furry animal type things with Hastings direct. To get a small toy you have to make a claim on the website. Mine arrives shortly.
freds dad

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by freds dad »

I've just renewed the Z insurance with Hasting but instead of going down the Meerkat route and selling on Ebay I went through Quidco.

My quote was £229.40 and I will get £42.50 back through Quidco giving me a final price of £186.90

Is this a record low?
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

bajahammer wrote:I work in the insurance broking industry and all insurers are barstewards !!
I absolutely loath and hate them !!
If I could give any of you one piece of advice then it would be to tell any prospective insurer or broker about any modifications that you or any previous owner has made to the car.
It does not matter how big or how small the modification is but you must declare it too them.
If you do not and a claim arises an engineer will be appointed to take a look at your car and if he finds the slightest thing that is not 'standard' your claim will not be honoured and the policy will be cancelled abinitio !

I have seen this happen on many occasions - be warned !
hence why i went with adrian flux as there good with modded cars ;-) declared non standard wheels and lowering springs..

Does make you think what should be declared tho... Say if you changed your steering wheel or gearknob etc? even if you upgrade your brake pads ive heard you should declare it..

But things like remapping id think you could get away without declaring as you cant 'see' it on the car..