cam sensor

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster

cam sensor

Post by Guest »

I've received a new cam sensor for my 02 2.2. The old one (exhaust side) is numbered 12141438082 & the new one is 12147518628. According to real oem it is the correct part, but having removed the old one, it's clear the new is considerably larger & I don't think it will fit. I've obviously not tried to force it as it may be going back, but after a conversation with the parts guys, they've said they'll happily take it back, but to offer it again as it should be a tight fit.

Does anyone know if the part was superceded or if the diagram could be incorrect?
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Is this the diagram you are looking at?

Cylinder Head Vanos - BMW parts catalog

The cam sensors are parts #5 (exhaust) and #18 (intake).

Supercession info for the 082 part seems to be the same on a 1.9 also, which only has the one sensor.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc

Post by Guest »

No I was using real oem, looking at the engine elctrical/ignition diagram, but the part numbers on this diagram are exactly what I've got both on the car & the subsequent - the next part can be used- part on the new one.

It's part #5.
aceman

M roadster S50

Post by aceman »

Have a look at my thread in the knowledgebase which might explain things :wink:

http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22183
Aceman

Arctic Silver '98 Z3M

Previously;
Bright RED '99 Z3 2.8

Rocking seats ? You need seat bushes click HERE

Post by Guest »

Confession is good for the soul.

All the reading I've done suggests it's just a superceded part, so I took the old one off & Tokk a second look. The probe itself is about a third bigger than the old part, but the circumference at the base of the o ring is the same, so I offered it up & it does fit after all.

One the one hand I feel a bit of a plonker, but on the other, it's on and working and the car feels much better to drive. :oops:

On the brightside, so far this month I've fitted an Earls clutch hose, two new cam sensors, changed the oil, changed the brake fluid, fixed the up & down on the passenger seat and changed the front pads and discs.

Overall I reckon I'm 3-1 up on the month. Thanks for the help guys.

Post by Guest »

Just to add, Danny at BMW parts online offered to take the part back without hesitation. I suspect he was thnking not another one of these wallys! but well worth a look if you need a bit for your zed.
aceman

M roadster S50

Post by aceman »

Glad your sorted and zeddy is running good as new again. :D
Aceman

Arctic Silver '98 Z3M

Previously;
Bright RED '99 Z3 2.8

Rocking seats ? You need seat bushes click HERE
uggers2k

blank

Post by uggers2k »

Rusty, did the Earls clutch hose make a difference with the gear changes? Also, how easy to fit? Cheers

Post by Guest »

Yes, a big difference, a job well worth doing.

Fitting (for me) was about forty minutes. Undo the unions, get covered in brake fluid, replace with the Earls line, then bleed the clutch. To bleed it fully, you really need to undo the slave cylinder in order to invert it to release the air. I also took a tip from here & used a mastic gun frame to keep the slave cylinder pin fully depressed for bleeding.

I used a pressure bleeder which makes life easier, so once the slave cylinder is off, it's just a matter of releasing the bleed valve until the fluid runs clear & no bubbles & then two bolts for the slave cylinder & it's job done.
uggers2k

blank

Post by uggers2k »

Thanks for that. One is on my shopping list :)

Post by Guest »

I would say of all the jobs I've done on the car, the two that have most enhanced the driving experience have been the clutch line & the cam sensors. Get it done.