Practical Fuel Economy

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Alistair

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Practical Fuel Economy

Post by Alistair »

Hi All,

As we all experienc 'book' values for MPG are never a true reflection of real life economy :head: .

I'm wondering what values everyones getting across the range of Z's

I'm getting the following from my 3.0, with various driving styles :twisted: but 90% motorway

It's a sample of my fuel log
:oops:
sad I know, but comes from many miles to work & back.

The values are calculated from reciepts with milage on, but generally the MPG meter in the car averages 30MPG.

I'm considering changing to an 'M', so would really like to know the real Economy :? .
TonyCal

blank.gif

Post by TonyCal »

I doubt very much you would get close to those figures with an M Alistair.
I normally get around 210 miles per 35 litres if thats any help. I do get more on a long motorway run but not much more, maybe 230- 240 miles. Round the Nurburgring the figure was way way lower probably around 7 mpg but as the M does not have a computer its hard to say.
I would expect to get only about 150 miles on the same amount at the weekend on a cruise.
SLX 280

BMW other

fuel

Post by SLX 280 »

That doesn't sound too bad for an //M

I'd just have prefered to have a larger tank as the range is pretty poor, expecially when blasting round europe :D

I don't think I would be buying an //M thinking its fuel effecient but close 30 on a motorway run should be possible? I guess this would drop quite quickly with the twitch of your right toe :twisted: :twisted:

cheers

scott
DavidM
Z Register member

Z4 M roadster

Post by DavidM »

Agree with Tony - except for the motorway thing - on the run to the Lakes - with Cruise Control - I got 302 miles out of a full tank - which I could not believe

I too have kept a fuel log - and this verfies Tony's estimates (apart from the above exception)
Alistair

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Alistair »

Thanks for the info guy's, it looking like low 20's for the 'M'.

With the low weight of the Z's the 1.9's & 2.0's must do really well :?:

Really torn on changing to an M as the 3.0 is great. :roll:

Just hope the move from super cruiser to super car is worth it. I've seen some of the comparison postings, but wonder if any M owners had 3.0/2.8 befor ?
DavidM
Z Register member

Z4 M roadster

Post by DavidM »

any M owners had 3.0/2.8 before
Tim, Phil, Giles - others as well I am sure - all had 2.8s before their ///Ms
last Z3?
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by last Z3? »

with my 3.0 i get average 25.9 and that is all around town and lanes (i never get near a motorway :idea:
Bloke

Other roadster

Post by Bloke »

Alistair wrote:Thanks for the info guy's, it looking like low 20's for the 'M'.

With the low weight of the Z's the 1.9's & 2.0's must do really well :?:

Really torn on changing to an M as the 3.0 is great. :roll:

Just hope the move from super cruiser to super car is worth it. I've seen some of the comparison postings, but wonder if any M owners had 3.0/2.8 befor ?
You must be kidding, in reference to the 2.0ltrs doing well!!( no offence intended) I have to admit that I do hammer the Nuts off my 2.0 ltr but even thought I have been running on Shell optimax for a few months now, I only get 200 miles to a tank, and that is town driving and a few twisty bits, on a motorway run recently to Manchester and back I got 260 miles from the tank, althought that was doing 90ish and a few spells over all the way!! So either I have the most uneconomical 2.0ltr in existance or its just my driving!! Not sure what that works out as in MPG but somwhere about 20ish for the town stuff and 26 for the motorway stuff.

JUst my experience!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bloke
321bhp

Not specified

hi

Post by 321bhp »

truly and honestly,i really havent a clue about wot me m does to the gallon,i just fill it up drive it and fill it up again,maybe this is because its my second car and only comes out when the weathers good,but me rover 100 1.4 diesel does around 50 :D :D :D
AndyBass
Z Register member

BMW other

Fuel economy

Post by AndyBass »

Just got back from the South of France covering a total of 2700 miles. Most of it was motorway/autoroute at about 80mph/130kph. Got 31.9 on the run down there, 25.7 knocking about which included 20 miles of standing/slow moving traffic following an accident and a run around the Gorges De Verdun for 70 miles, (for those who don't know it's all 2nd/3rd at low speed) and 29.5 coming back. Thats from a 2.8 running on 98 octane. Like most people the mpg isn't all that important but the range is poor, although getting that kind of mpg helps. The Zed loved it as much as we did, really cleared it's throat, feeling very crisp and lively.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
We all have a photographic memory, just some don't take the lens cap off!
Lorraine

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Lorraine »

Most of my driving is back roads and in town with some occasional motorway and I get around 24 miles per gallon (3.0 engine).

Compared to Alistair my 3.0 is guzzling but that might have to do with the lack of motorway driving and difference in driving style. If I had an M I would be stopping for fuel more than I would be driving, wouldn't stop me from getting one though... :D
Cheers,
Lorraine
Z3 3.0 :D
Robin

M roadster S50

Is Optimax really needed in a 2.8 ?

Post by Robin »

I thought Shell Optimax or any other 98 octance fuel is only needed for high comp ratio cars like the ///M at 11.4:1.
It would possibly be too slow burning in a lower compression ratio car like a 2.8 which might reduce mpg since less of the heat is extracted out of the fuel air mixture as work if it burns too slow. I got 23mpg urban & 33mpg extra urban from my 2.8. Always ran silky smooth on 95 octane & never pinked.
Andy you could be spending £2.60 extra per tank you don't need to.
My ///M returns about 22mpg on combined urban & extra urban.
'High G' motoring enthusiast
garyw

Porsche

Post by garyw »

AndyBass, the photo looks a little different to Barnsley. 8-)
S1 AVV

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by S1 AVV »

It would possibly be too slow burning in a lower compression ratio car like a 2.8 which might reduce mpg since less of the heat is extracted out of the fuel air mixture as work if it burns too slow.
ran optimax max for 3 weeks, can't say i've noticed that much difference, perhaps a little smoother first thing in the morning, have changed back to 95 octane petrol

optimax - 29.8mpg
95 octane - 33.3 mpg

above figures on sedate work run, not weekend :twisted: [/quote]
DavidM
Z Register member

Z4 M roadster

Post by DavidM »

To be brutally honest - "practical" and "fuel economy" are not words or phrases I would normally associate with an M Roadster ...

:o

"insane", "so much fun it ought to be illegal" and "grin-inducing" are words and phrases that are more in keeping with the car ...

:D

sod the fuel economy ... go drive an M ... don't look back

:twisted:
garyw

Porsche

Post by garyw »

So David I assume your not doing the LPG conversion in the near future :lol:
Garyw
DavidM
Z Register member

Z4 M roadster

Post by DavidM »

garyw wrote:So David I assume your not doing the LPG conversion in the near future :lol:
Garyw
Nope - looking to strap a jet engine on the back instead 8-)
mugen888

Z3 roadster 1.9

my 1.9 drinking too much thne

Post by mugen888 »

hmm my 1.9 does me 230 mile on a 35 quid full tank
but after changing to a k&n replacement element i only get 180
my mate drives an evolution 6 and he gets the same as me
so you guys think there's something wrong with my car?
SLX 280

BMW other

Mugen...

Post by SLX 280 »

Take those lead boots off !!!

something sounds amiss there?? 180 range out of a 1.9.

cheers

Scott
Bloke

Other roadster

Post by Bloke »

Muggen,

You obviously drive like me then!!!! :devil:
( that is how a sports convertible shoud be driven)

:lol: :lol:

Although finding somwhere to do that in London in not the easiest!!

I also have K&N and it didnt affect mpg at all, just sounds better

Bloke
mugen888

Z3 roadster 1.9

ohh ok

Post by mugen888 »

ohh ok then os it's just thw way i drive then hehe :)
i must try to gas less and see what the max fuel econ i can getit's quite easy to put ur foot down in london especially at night hehe
Bryn
Z Register member

BMW convertible

Does this count????

Post by Bryn »

On the Rutted Toad, Charlotte managed to drink a tank of fuel in just 151.7 miles :shock: :shock: :shock: Not sure what the MPG works out at but it ain't a lot :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: Ach who's counting? it was a great run:-)
Robin

M roadster S50

Post by Robin »

If a tank is 44l
& 1gal = 4.55l
152m/(44/4.455) = 15.7mpg !
I think your discs must have been glowing somewhat Brynt :colourful: :lol:
Bryn
Z Register member

BMW convertible

Post by Bryn »

Robin wrote:If a tank is 44l
& 1gal = 4.55l
152m/(44/4.455) = 15.7mpg !
I think your discs must have been glowing somewhat Brynt :colourful: :lol:
Robin,

To be honest it is better than i thought it would be!!! :D
Robin

M roadster S50

Post by Robin »

Brynt
When you think of the levels of power & the accelerations & deccelerations dumping kilowatts of energy in the discs etc during hard driving it is amazing. It's better than you'd get from some gas guzzlers driving gently to the corner shop & back !
pingu

M roadster S50

Practical Fuel Economy

Post by pingu »

I also have a problem with the fuel economy in my Z3 2.8, it also takes longer to get from A to B than in my Peugeot 406.

Yesterday, I went for a pint of milk from Asda (Peugeot = 20mins). In the Z3, it took me 4 hours and 25 litres of fuel :shock:

Z3s are for fun, and you have to pay to play.
Pingu
Robin

M roadster S50

Re: Practical Fuel Economy

Post by Robin »

pingu wrote:Yesterday, I went for a pint of milk from Asda (Peugeot = 20mins). In the Z3, it took me 4 hours and 25 litres of fuel :shock:
:lol:
I have this problem sometimes when moving my car from the front of my house to the rear to park it at night. Sometimes I make the 100yd journey via Winchester or the like :lol:
AndyBass
Z Register member

BMW other

Post by AndyBass »

Robin, I'm a tight fisted Yorkshireman and do run my car on 95 over here, she only got treated to some 98 for the holiday as it was about the same price as our overpriced 95. :D Gordon Sodding Brown gets enough of my cash without adding unnecessarily to his coffers. :x
NorwegianBlue
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by NorwegianBlue »

I'm using my ///M as an everyday car and as expected, if you're a bit frisky the MPG is not too good. I know it's sad but I have kept a log of exactly what goes in and what I get out and at the moment I'm doing 27 mpg but it has been as high as 30. This is 90% motorway though. One thing that was very noticable was the drop in mpgs as it came close the having its service.

In my 2.8 I got around 32 and in the 3.0i it was around 29.
Phil

M roadster S54

M v 2.8

Post by Phil »

Got about 26mpg from the 2.8
23ish from the M
That takes all sorts of driving into account.
Always looking for fuel at 220 miles from a tank in both cars
Sapphire black/Imola red and black interior/ red roof/ S54 - the only RHD one made.

"The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire."
Geoff H

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Geoff H »

I am always amazed / envious at the mpg figures on the board postings. I have had a 2.8 Roadster now for nearly 3 years and have only seen 21mpg on the OBC a couple of times, mostly its 19 or 20 mpg. In true terms I fill up when it gets to half a tank (about 100 miles), fill it so I can see the fuel in the filler pipe and zero the trip meter in the speedo, that way when I fill up next time, to the brim, I can see exactly how many miles I have done for the amount of fuel brought. It’s always around 20 mpg, no motorway use, just around town /dual carriageway
ajt

M roadster S50

ageing well.

Post by ajt »

from my //m i get about 25 mpg overall.
its my only car, but my commute to work is on foot, so the only driving is weekend and to the shops.

for a tank of 40 litres it varies from about 180 miles around london town in the summer with the aircon on. to about 240 for long slow motorway journeys in traffic. faster motorway trips holding at about 90 will use a tank in about 220 miles.

also its definately got better as its got older. i bought it with 28,000 on the clock and its now approaching 50,000 3 years later. probably an extra 10 miles to the tank now!

so it sounds fairly similar to some of the other models, but i must drive it pretty slow as the rear tires lastest 20,000 miles.

a.