Shock Absorber Top Mount

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
alec.m

Z3 roadster 2.8

Shock Absorber Top Mount

Post by alec.m »

I`m putting new standard shocks and springs on soon. I`m figuring it`s a good idea to replace the top mount at the same time but looking around there`s such a variation in price, from about £16 on ebay to £60 ish on europarts. Anyone used the cheaper ones or anyone recomend a good value one? Don`t want to have problems by fitting crap ones. Also anything else I should be looking at replacing while I`m at it?
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

I used OEM mounts from BMW, not expensive, around £12 each from memory. Get the mounts for an M3 Convertable as they as supposed to be stronger and fit just the same.

I now have Rogue Engineering mounts, lots more expensive, can I notice the difference :shrug , they are easier to remove when neccessary.
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
alec.m

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by alec.m »

Thanks for your advice Gary. Nice to hear some dealer items are "cheap". :o
aceman

M roadster S50

Post by aceman »

You don't say whether front or rear to save confusion. :wink:

If front then yes do it as it is same job again if they go as I found out on my last zed after changing the front shock/springs and then they started knocking a couple of hundered miles later so had to do the job again. Don't forget to get a new gasket for each side if you do and also lower hub bolts as BMW recommend they should be changed being a highly stressed part.

Rears is a no brainer as they are pretty cheap and only 2 minutes to change if you are doing the shocks anyway but there are some strengthing plates available which are maybe what Gary is talking about with the uprated ones from the M3.
Aceman

Arctic Silver '98 Z3M

Previously;
Bright RED '99 Z3 2.8

Rocking seats ? You need seat bushes click HERE
DC

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by DC »

Strengthening plates...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-Z3-Reinfo ... 415db195f8

I fitted these to mine around 18 months back after seeing a photo of someones shock having distorted the floor,
ebay Item number: 280744793592

Mine looked fine but I feel better knowing there's a bitmore strenghtening there.

They are well made, fit well and easy to fit.
Dave.
Dave. 1998 Arctic Silver Z3 M44 1.9 Automatic
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

Top mount part No. 33521137972 E36 M3 Convertable and Z3M
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

ImageImage
msassoon

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by msassoon »

Yes, change them. I used the SKF ones from euro car parts, and they seem ok. I only did it all yesterday, but it is a good idea to do it front and back.
Cheers

Marc
alec.m

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by alec.m »

Sorry for the confusion. It`s just the front shocks and springs on a 2.8 I`m doing at the moment. Rear top mounts seem quite cheap wherever you get them from but it was the fronts that had such a big variation in price which made me think there might be a big difference in quality. Thanks for your comments and info so far.
TerryO

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Shock Absorber Top Mount

Post by TerryO »

Hi Gazza, I see from earlier posts that you have Rogue RSM's fitted to yor Z. I'm trying to find out how to purchase a set for mine. When I bought my 1.9 Z3, it looked like it had already had one front strut replaced at some point & the other wasn't looking to good (damp around seal). So I fitted a complete set of PI lowered shocks and springs (-30mm) from POTN. Not the most expensive kit on the market, but it did the job. The kit fitted fine & the car looked just right with 18" alloys, however at the time I was unaware of the problem with stock BMW RSM's and uprated shocks. Within a few miles of driving the lowered Z, one rear shock piston rod popped through into the compartment behind the passenger seat. Needless to say the back end handling got interesting very quickly. After peeling back the carpet, the moulded rubber inner had parted company with the mount metal body. I fitted Meyle HD mounts, but the rubber still gets compressed enough to get a 'metal to metal' clunk on every pot hole. I've fitted the stock washer either side of the mount to ensure the piston rod can't pop through if the rubber shears, but it's still very annoying having the clunk inside the car. Any details on the Rogue RSM's would be much appreciated. Cheers, Terry.
1998 Z3 1.9 (M44). Arctic Silver, red leather seats & door panels, manual roof, 18" Team Dynamics, 30mm lowered Pi suspension, generic twin outlet SS tail box.
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

TerryO wrote:Hi Gazza, I see from earlier posts that you have Rogue RSM's fitted to yor Z. I'm trying to find out how to purchase a set for mine. When I bought my 1.9 Z3, it looked like it had already had one front strut replaced at some point & the other wasn't looking to good (damp around seal). So I fitted a complete set of PI lowered shocks and springs (-30mm) from POTN. Not the most expensive kit on the market, but it did the job. The kit fitted fine & the car looked just right with 18" alloys, however at the time I was unaware of the problem with stock BMW RSM's and uprated shocks. Within a few miles of driving the lowered Z, one rear shock piston rod popped through into the compartment behind the passenger seat. Needless to say the back end handling got interesting very quickly. After peeling back the carpet, the moulded rubber inner had parted company with the mount metal body. I fitted Meyle HD mounts, but the rubber still gets compressed enough to get a 'metal to metal' clunk on every pot hole. I've fitted the stock washer either side of the mount to ensure the piston rod can't pop through if the rubber shears, but it's still very annoying having the clunk inside the car. Any details on the Rogue RSM's would be much appreciated. Cheers, Terry.
You can buy the Rogue RSMs from http://www.ca-int.co.uk/home.php

I've also read that silicone spray can help to avoid the clunk-link noise that even good condition bushes can make.
TerryO

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by TerryO »

I since contacted the Rogue Engineering UK outlet and received a call back within half an hour. CA-INT have stock of Rogue RSM's so they can deliver pretty quick without the wait for shipping from the US. I've ordered a pair which should be here by 15:00 today. TerryO.
1998 Z3 1.9 (M44). Arctic Silver, red leather seats & door panels, manual roof, 18" Team Dynamics, 30mm lowered Pi suspension, generic twin outlet SS tail box.
TerryO

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by TerryO »

Hi, CA INT have a web site if any one is interested in RSM's and other BMW parts:-

http://www.ca-int.co.uk/show_big-cGF0aD ... wZWc=.html

TerryO.
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

Hi Terry

just seen your post re Rogue mounts, glad you got it sorted :)
Gazza

ImageImage