hard top advice

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
davetook71

Z3 roadster 2.2i

hard top advice

Post by davetook71 »

Hi,
I am looking to get a hard top for the z3 and have an opportunity to get one plus the fitting kit. What I need to know is how hard is it and how long does it take to get the kit off the donor car and on to mine? Is there a post on the forum covering this as I have looked to no avail.
Second question is how much to get a decent paint job done on the roof.
Finally should I be looking to replace any rubbers on the top before fitting.
Thanks
Dave
aceman

M roadster S50

Post by aceman »

The basic fitting kit can be transferred in about half an hour with the heated rear switch taking maybe an hour later on taking your time. A respray shouldn't be a problem for a good bodyshop making sure they remove all the seals but you could save some time and money and strip it yourself. Expect to pay upto £200 for a good spray job and yes depending on the condition of the seals you may want to replace them but if the hardtop has been reasonably well looked after you may not need to but there are some rubber pads that sit at the back and rest on the bodywork which I would recommend replacing no matter what as these do go hard and flat after a while, only a couple of quid each so not a major expence and worth doing.

Is it the one on ebay going for £650 with the fitting kit, if so it's not a bad price really to say everything is there to get the job done as fitting kits can be a nightmare to source if you want originality.

Forgot to say you will have to fine tune the fitment of the brackets to get the hardtop sitting right but I have full fitting instructions somewhere as do others so you only need to ask and we can provide all the info you need. :wink:
Aceman

Arctic Silver '98 Z3M

Previously;
Bright RED '99 Z3 2.8

Rocking seats ? You need seat bushes click HERE
davetook71

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by davetook71 »

Hi Aceman,
Tks. for that. I can't see that one on ebay for £650 can you send a link or tell me what search criteria you are using?
Dave
aceman

M roadster S50

Post by aceman »

It was this one which was on over the weekend but looks like it has sold I am afraid. :(

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-Z3-Hard-T ... 4ab080c307
Aceman

Arctic Silver '98 Z3M

Previously;
Bright RED '99 Z3 2.8

Rocking seats ? You need seat bushes click HERE