abs/asc lights on

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
spanwah

Z3 roadster 2.2i

abs/asc lights on

Post by spanwah »

probably covered before !!!just in a bit of a panic ,,wife just rang pulled over as the abs/asc lights now on permanatley on?
presume its a sensor as it always f###ing is? have heard you can clean these as a first option?
help appreciated!
aceman

M roadster S50

Post by aceman »

Likely to be one of the ABS sensors on the hubs, they can get dirty and yes just giving them a clean usually cures the problem for another couple of years. Just remember when the ABS light is on you don't have this available to you should you brake sharply so just be aware.
Aceman

Arctic Silver '98 Z3M

Previously;
Bright RED '99 Z3 2.8

Rocking seats ? You need seat bushes click HERE
spanwah

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by spanwah »

aceman wrote:Likely to be one of the ABS sensors on the hubs, they can get dirty and yes just giving them a clean usually cures the problem for another couple of years. Just remember when the ABS light is on you don't have this available to you should you brake sharply so just be aware.
take it its an easy do. to clean them and what with? i take it a dry clean cloth
thanks for the reply i'm sure people have read this and thought search the threads or here we go again so many thanks

Post by Guest »

I had this last month after changing my wheels over to winter ones, ASC Light came on and would not go off, thought i had broke the sensor. Did the usual site search which identified that it may be a dirty sensor.

Cleaned the car the next day, sprayed the wheels with the hose pipe, light now extinguished, I understand they are quite sensitive. Cleaning first is a good way to go, although would advise care as wires can be broken on removal from the reading of the posts.

Thanks Forum for good information yet again.............
spanwah

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by spanwah »

Evmundo wrote:I had this last month after changing my wheels over to winter ones, ASC Light came on and would not go off, thought i had broke the sensor. Did the usual site search which identified that it may be a dirty sensor.

Cleaned the car the next day, sprayed the wheels with the hose pipe, light now extinguished, I understand they are quite sensitive. Cleaning first is a good way to go, although would advise care as wires can be broken on removal from the reading of the posts.

Thanks Forum for good information yet again.............

seems to point to cleaning them first,
many thanks
Nedwards1980

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: abs/asc lights on

Post by Nedwards1980 »

Hey guys, just to jump in massively late on this...I too have the same issue (ASC light constantly on) but i also have an issue that it seems to be cutting in and it either cuts the engine for a millisecond or is causing the engine to misfire. Did you just give it a damn good blast with a pressure hose and it cleared up?
Nedwards1980

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Nedwards1980 »

Hey...I have 3 green at the moment. The car was sat for 4/5 months over winter without being driven before I bought it, so i'm guessing/hoping it could well be gunky sensors. I'm having it serviced friday so i'll see if they will give the sensors a clean for me. If not, I don't suppose anyone has or knows where I can get a schematic of where they are/how to get to them? I've tried hunting down a Haynes manual and from what I can see, Haynes don't do one!

Cheers guys
alec.m

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by alec.m »

Haynes don`t do a Z3 specific manual but include the Z3 (all models) in their 3-series manual.
Nedwards1980

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Nedwards1980 »

Hmmm that's interesting as on their website they say it's a Chilton (USA) manual for the Z3...I'll scooch to Halfords at lunch and have a browse through then.
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

The Chilton is very good. Haynes (18021) is the American version and it covers the Z3.

Both should be available from Amazon or eBay.
Pingu
Nedwards1980

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Nedwards1980 »

Cool...I'll have a look. I just want the basic stuff of changing brakes, simple mechanical repairs etc.

Cheers guys
John Wilson

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by John Wilson »

This site is a lot better than a Haynes manual. Just do a search and theres lots on the wheel sensors. It's a simple job but if the sensors havent been off for a while they get corroded in and need lots of WD40 soaked in. The front ones are generally harder as they are more exposed to the elements. The important thing is not to put to much weight on when removing the bolts (one bolt for each one), because they can sheer off and will require drilling out. If you cant find the sensors, there is wiring leading to them. The bolts have an allen head on them.
John
Nedwards1980

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Nedwards1980 »

Cheers John, i'll have the wheels off and give it a go tonight!