Boot central locking problem

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Evs87

Z3 roadster 1.9

Boot central locking problem

Post by Evs87 »

My boot has stopped locking and unlocking with the central locking. I have to do it manually at the boot. Any ideas as to what could be causing this? Cheers
aceman

M roadster S50

Post by aceman »

Nailed on it is the wiring passing through the rubber tube/cable guide on the left side of the boot lid. There are several wires passing through this and they are very prone to breaking particulary our cars are 10+years old now.

If you remove the inner boot carpet and find the wires going upto the hole in the wing you can do a bit of fault finding by checking for continuity using a multimeter. Put a pin through each wire at each end of the cable guide and clip your multimeter to each end this way you can check the continuity. You may also find some of the wires have literaly completely severed making it a bit easier to spot but in either case once you have found the offending wires you will have to splice in replacements, just make sure you solder them in and re-insulate with heatshrink sleeving.

If the above is beyond your capabilities then any competent auto electrician will be able to do this a doddle.

Good luck.
Aceman

Arctic Silver '98 Z3M

Previously;
Bright RED '99 Z3 2.8

Rocking seats ? You need seat bushes click HERE
henrycrun

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by henrycrun »

A common problem. Use the search box to read other threads
Evs87

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Evs87 »

cheers, will have a look at it over the weekend
Fender2004

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Boot central locking problem

Post by Fender2004 »

My boot lock has just stopped working, :head: I can lock it with the key but not the remote although two doors lock. I have also noticed an extra beep when the alarm is turned on.
Is this telling me that everything is not locked :?:

I have read other posts about the wire coming through the boot having a kink and snapping. I think that my wires are ok as I have power at the connector in the photo. (assuming this is the correct one)

Therefore I'm guessing that it is the actuator that is at fault :?:

Any help would be great

I have a 1997 2.8 if this helps
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Whilst it could be the actuator, my first guess would be that the wire leading to the microswitch has snapped and the car now thinks that the boot is open. The microswitch is in the top of the conical hole on the bottom left of the boot lock in your photo. The wiring normally fails where it bends at the boot lid hinge and you will need to remove the sleeve to see whether this is the case. I would have to check the wiring diagram, but there may well also be an earth wire for the boot lid, as I am not sure of the electrical conductivity of the hinges - if this has snapped, then the neither the microswitch or actuator would work.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Fender2004

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fender2004 »

Thanks for that I will have a look at the wires as you suggest
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Fender2004 wrote:My boot lock has just stopped working, :head: I can lock it with the key but not the remote although two doors lock. I have also noticed an extra beep when the alarm is turned on.
Is this telling me that everything is not locked :?:

I have read other posts about the wire coming through the boot having a kink and snapping. I think that my wires are ok as I have power at the connector in the photo. (assuming this is the correct one)

Therefore I'm guessing that it is the actuator that is at fault :?:
That connector looks like the one for the boot light, though it's a while since I did the same exercise.

The extra beep does signify the alarm sees one of the activation points as already activated. Lock the car with the remote, then during the first 45 or so seconds, while the dash led is still on constantly, you can test the activation points of the car and the alarm will respond with a single tone, rather than going off. So you can, for instance unlock the car with the key (beep), open a door, (beep), open the bonnet (beep) etc... I'd remove the bulb from the boot light first (careful, easy to short the exposed connector and blow a fuse) to avoid that triggering the alarm as a voltage drop and giving a false positive result.

The biggest culprit for the extra beep is the bonnet sensor, as they are terribly unreliable. If it is the bonnet sensor, unplugging it stops the extra beep, but does leave the bonnet unprotected.
Fender2004

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fender2004 »

Thanks more knowledge gained :bow
Fender2004

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fender2004 »

I've taken the actuator out of the car as you can see, and there is no power to the actuator according to my multi meter, and also done a continuity test on the actuator meaning the actuator is ok.

So must be the kink/break in the wire, so I removed the outer cable but all the wires look fine.

Is there anywhere else I should be looking?