Rear N/S/R wing replacement & bumper & light cluster

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
M3 PCO

Z3 roadster 2.8

Rear N/S/R wing replacement & bumper & light cluster

Post by M3 PCO »

Some nice person hit my Z3 and drove off...

How easy is it to replace the rear wing? Is it bolt on?

Also if anyone has a Topaz Blue rear bumper, N/S/R wing and light cluster for sale I'd love to hear from you.

:head:
Last edited by M3 PCO on Tue 15 Nov, 2011 15:56, edited 1 time in total.
Daz3

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Daz3 »

Hi matey sorry to hear that the rear wing is bolt on rear bumper and possibly the boot will have to come off there's some bolts behind the plastic trim in the door shut too. Good luck.
markrnorton

Other roadster

Post by markrnorton »

yep, they are an easy bolt on

i have a wing at home, cant remember what side it is ?

is your car a narrow body/facelift or prefacelift ?
Still modifying
M3 PCO

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by M3 PCO »

It is a facelift model.

Was really annoyed. I have kept my car mint, garaged it and only done 35,000 miles.

Cannot afford to claim due to the excess and they would put my premium up next year and its not even my fault. :head:
Ragtop

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Ragtop »

Really sorry to hear that Paul.

Hope you get it sorted soon and bring your lovely Zed back to mint condition again.
M3 PCO

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by M3 PCO »

Cheers mate,

Fingers crossed I can get it repaired back to the same condition it was in. Hopefully its all cosmetic and nothing has been bent underneath.

:bawl:
z3steve

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by z3steve »

Hi sorry to hear of your bad luck, I have the same model and colour as you albeit somewhat higher mileage (161k miles). I replaced the wings on mine not long ago, it is quite a simple job, and you don't need to completely remove the bootlid. There are 4/5 bolts where the wing meets the boot (open the boot and you'll see them) and some on the inside of the door under the trim. Also I think there are one or two on the inside of the wheel arch so you have to remove that too. This is all I can remember. Not as hard as it sounds though :)

Don't have a replacement wing for you either, sorry!

Steve
M3 PCO

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by M3 PCO »

z3steve wrote:Hi sorry to hear of your bad luck, I have the same model and colour as you albeit somewhat higher mileage (161k miles). I replaced the wings on mine not long ago, it is quite a simple job, and you don't need to completely remove the bootlid. There are 4/5 bolts where the wing meets the boot (open the boot and you'll see them) and some on the inside of the door under the trim. Also I think there are one or two on the inside of the wheel arch so you have to remove that too. This is all I can remember. Not as hard as it sounds though :)

Don't have a replacement wing for you either, sorry!

Steve
Thanks, interesting to know. On the search for the parts :rtm:
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

Not the right colour but v cheap and not too far away.

rear wing click here

Hope you get it sorted soon.
M3 PCO

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by M3 PCO »

Ardchyle wrote:Not the right colour but v cheap and not too far away.

rear wing click here

Hope you get it sorted soon.
Cheers, it ticks a lot of the boxes and like you said not too far away. Wonder if he has a bumper and light cluster too :lol:
M3 PCO

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by M3 PCO »

All repaired.

A few hiccups along the way but BMW approved bodyshop repaired it.

Not 100% happy with the alignment of rear bumper but paint looks ok.

Photos to come. Ignore colours as that was just lighting at the time..

Any comments on whether this alignment is acceptable?!! :head:
M3 PCO

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by M3 PCO »

Pre repair...

M3 PCO

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by M3 PCO »

Post repair :'(

Fender2004

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fender2004 »

When I bought my Z3 my rear bumper was the same as your out of line bumper on the right photo.

What it was, was the bumper slides into place the last half inch or so and the little fasting was not connected making the bumper bulge out as yours does.
When I attached the little clip properly the bumper was ok

I would guess that the bumper has not been put on properly, so I would take it back and complain, especially if you had it done at a BMW approved they should know better!

Both side of the bumper should look the same not different
M3 PCO

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by M3 PCO »

Fender2004 wrote:When I bought my Z3 my rear bumper was the same as your out of line bumper on the right photo.

What it was, was the bumper slides into place the last half inch or so and the little fasting was not connected making the bumper bulge out as yours does.

I would guess that the bumper has not been put on properly, so I would take it back and complain, especially if you had it done at a BMW approved they should know better!

Can you identify which clip? The one on the offside? The pin one? Does it just need a push or off and on again?
M3 PCO

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by M3 PCO »

"Paul,

Thank you for your response, your comments have been taken onboard.

...from the photographs provided it suggests the wing on the offside will need adjusting not the bumper. We merely removed, re-painted and refitted the rear bumper onto its original mountings (other than the one attached to the nearside rear wing). The location of the bumper sides are not adjustable, they locate onto pegs that are fixed to the rear wings.

As the offside was not damaged in any way during the accident any attempt towards trying to resolve your issue would be at your own expense (unless the bumper has worked loose due to us not tightening the fixings, which I doubt). Post repair Quality control checks are designed to check the actual quality of the repaired area and any area that has been associated with the repair, alignment of panels and trims on the offside would not have been considered as this was not in the immediate repair area."

:head:
gelertd1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gelertd1 »

"As the offside was not damaged in any way during the accident any attempt towards trying to resolve your issue would be at your own expense (unless the bumper has worked loose due to us not tightening the fixings, which I doubt). Post repair Quality control checks are designed to check the actual quality of the repaired area and any area that has been associated with the repair, alignment of panels and trims on the offside would not have been considered as this was not in the immediate repair area."

What absolute 'twaddle'! :head:

The wing doesn't need adjusting as it wasn't damaged/disturbed' in the repair. What bodyshop would come up with that as an excuse is beyond me :x

Yes the bumper skin does locate on plastic pins (which are not adjustable) which project downwards from the rear wing - but they almost always break (as they become brittle with age) when the bumper is removed or re-fitted. If the pins break the bumper cannot be held in line with the contour of the wing.

Similarly when re-fitting the bumper if you fail to engage the pins properly in the bumper skin it will misalign as per your photo.

I'm sure in most cases the car owner wouldn't notice or even care about the bumper fit - but as enthusiasts that alignment just shouts "WRONG".

If they won't sort it out tell them you will take it elsewhere and invoice them with the cost for re-fitting the bumper correctly and if they fail to pay take them to a small claims court (copy the letter to the local BMW dealer that they supposedly repair for). It's a half hour job to sort!
gelertd1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gelertd1 »

Copy and paste this into a browser it should assist with understanding of the differing methods of attaching the rear bumper.

http://adkusters.hobby-site.com/TIS%20d ... _Coupe.pdf

Steve
M3 PCO

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by M3 PCO »

"The rear bumper was removed and refitted to the original mountings on the offside, the mounting was not removed or touched and there are no adjustments that can be made to these points, they are a fixed peg fixing. The damage sustained to the rear bumper on the nearside was minimal and could not have caused any misalignment to the offside in any form. I am willing to try and resolve your issue by adjusting the rear wing if you bring the car back to us. BMW repair method states “Ideal” tolerances, the bumper is flush to the panel we have replaced, I would be interested to know the paint depth measurement on the offside rear wing panel which can be done by any Bodyshop."

bla bla bla :head:
M3 PCO

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by M3 PCO »

gelertd1 wrote:Copy and paste this into a browser it should assist with understanding of the differing methods of attaching the rear bumper.

http://adkusters.hobby-site.com/TIS%20d ... _Coupe.pdf

Steve
Yes I saw that document and quoted it at them which prompted the above response.... :head:
gelertd1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gelertd1 »

[quote="M3 PCO"]"The rear bumper was removed and refitted to the original mountings on the offside, the mounting was not removed or touched and there are no adjustments that can be made to these points, they are a fixed peg fixing. The damage sustained to the rear bumper on the nearside was minimal and could not have caused any misalignment to the offside in any form. I am willing to try and resolve your issue by adjusting the rear wing if you bring the car back to us. BMW repair method states “Ideal” tolerances, the bumper is flush to the panel we have replaced, I would be interested to know the paint depth measurement on the offside rear wing panel which can be done by any Bodyshop."

Yep no adjustment can be made because of the 'peg' or 'pin' type of fastening - therefore if the pins are present and the holes into which they engage on the bumper skin are not enlarged for any reason then the vertical alignment between the wing and bumper is fixed.

The actual gap between wing and bumper skin can be tweaked but from your photos that doesn't seem to be an issue.

I'm sure they will refit the bumper correctly and then give you some blarney about how they spent hours adjusting the wing to get the desired alignment.

Hope you get it sorted - it would drive me nuts until it was.
Fender2004

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fender2004 »

M3 PCO wrote:
Fender2004 wrote:When I bought my Z3 my rear bumper was the same as your out of line bumper on the right photo.

Can you identify which clip? The one on the offside? The pin one? Does it just need a push or off and on again?

I would think that the clip on the right photo has not been engaged as the bumper does not line up.
I agree with the other posts, in that the bumper was removed in the repair, and not fitted properly when it was returned to the vehicle.

Hope you get it sorted
M3 PCO

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by M3 PCO »

Fender2004 wrote:
M3 PCO wrote:

I would think that the clip on the right photo has not been engaged as the bumper does not line up.
I agree with the other posts, in that the bumper was removed in the repair, and not fitted properly when it was returned to the vehicle.

Hope you get it sorted
I think this is right. It would make sense. Though I am reluctant to take it back to them given their attitude and reluctance to put it right.

I think I would take more care and probably do a better job myself.
M3 PCO

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by M3 PCO »

BMW body shop just seem to be trying every excuse under the sun!

I do feel like naming and shaming.

I would have a LOT more respect for a garage that was honest and admitted the possibility that they may have actually done it wrong!
Fender2004

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fender2004 »

M3 PCO wrote:

I would have a LOT more respect for a garage that was honest and admitted the possibility that they may have actually done it wrong!

That's what it seems like to me :(