Do our zeds rust?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Do our zeds rust?

Post by Z3cade »

As ive never really come across a thread on here bout rust i was wondering is there any places on the zed that can be prone to rust?

I ask because im thinking of taking my sills off so i can waxoyl behind them... Purely for protection. Or is it not worth it?
///M Roadster - Evolve Stage 3
motco

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by motco »

I'd like to know about this too as I am probably going to get mine Waxoyled.
yalden

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by yalden »

From my experience, the most common place for bubbling is around the boot lock. I presume if left untreated this would eventually develop into a more severe rust spot?

I'm also on the lookout for a new OEM front o/s wing. Mine has at some time stone chipped, water has got beneath the paint and there are signs of bubbling!
Deano1712
Z Register organiser

M roadster S50

Post by Deano1712 »

The sills are prone to rusting. See some photos on this post I did a couple of years ago:
http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... inter+jobs
Z3M with a few mods...and a little bit more power
nero

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by nero »

Ends of the sills - dirt gets trapped between the sill and the plastic inner arch

Boot lids around the chrome pull (on facelift models) - the hole was opened up to allow for the larger chromed pull, but wasn't properly protected. This used to be repaired (respray boot lid) FOC at the dealers
BMWCCScotland

Nothing is as frustrating as arguing with someone who knows what he's talking about.
Badman gee

M roadster S50

Re: Do our zeds rust?

Post by Badman gee »

Z3cade wrote:As ive never really come across a thread on here bout rust i was wondering is there any places on the zed that can be prone to rust?

I ask because im thinking of taking my sills off so i can waxoyl behind them... Purely for protection. Or is it not worth it?
this obsession is not healthy :lol:

The 'BEAST' 666
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

Badman gee wrote:
Z3cade wrote:As ive never really come across a thread on here bout rust i was wondering is there any places on the zed that can be prone to rust?

this obsession is not healthy :lol:
I know.. Its getting that bad i want to take all the wheels off and clean under the arch liners.. :oops:
Badman gee

M roadster S50

Post by Badman gee »

3 years yan had it not a drop of rain on it.

you had it 24 hours and it was in a down pour :(

lol

The 'BEAST' 666
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

Shurrrup you.... :evil: I did fully detail it the next morning!!

Deano after reading your thread i think mine will be going on axle stands this weekend :!:
Even if it isnt rusty its worth protecting these areas...
peteslag

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by peteslag »

Just leave it to rust. You could have the first ever "rat" look Z3 in the country :lol:
Z3 3.0, Ford ST220, Jaguar XK8, Mr2 GT Turbo, Fiat Bravo HGT, Cavalier, Astra convertible, MK1 Astra GTE, XR3i, E21 323i, XR3, Cavalier, VW Jetta, Rover SDi, Capri 2.0S, Audi 80 GTE, another Cavalier, brown Astra van, Citroen GS Club (we all had to start somewhere).
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

peteslag wrote:Just leave it to rust. You could have the first ever "rat" look Z3 in the country :lol:
No.. I'll let you try that if you like :wink:
peteslag

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by peteslag »

Been there done that, I've had plenty of rat look cars in the past (not by choice I hasten to add). My first motor was more rust than it was car :D
Z3 3.0, Ford ST220, Jaguar XK8, Mr2 GT Turbo, Fiat Bravo HGT, Cavalier, Astra convertible, MK1 Astra GTE, XR3i, E21 323i, XR3, Cavalier, VW Jetta, Rover SDi, Capri 2.0S, Audi 80 GTE, another Cavalier, brown Astra van, Citroen GS Club (we all had to start somewhere).
hornel Z3M

blank

m

Post by hornel Z3M »

I had my wheels off twice to clean all the suspension and springs with wd 40. the place you will see a problem is where the stones hit the lip next to the wheel arch. i am going to fill the small gap between them with black silicone to stop the water, (thats from washing the car by the way not, rain) getting between them. :wink:
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

Underneath (axle) has quite a lot of rust, but the metal is so thick it doesn't matter for a while.

Driver's door below the quarter light needs doing. Some spots appearing on the sills. Not much else.

For a 13 yr old car it's in good shape :D .

[edit: I've dug deeper - see my next post :( ]
Last edited by pingu on Mon 09 Jan, 2012 01:53, edited 1 time in total.
Pingu
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Sills and wing-mirror bases, plus the top nut on the slam plate for the power steering cooling ring. :lol:

Boot lock is not normally a problem on cars without the opener fitted.

Other than that, BMW galvanizing is pretty damn good.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
motco

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by motco »

Robert T wrote:Sills and wing-mirror bases, plus the top nut on the slam plate for the power steering cooling ring. :lol:

Boot lock is not normally a problem on cars without the opener fitted.

Other than that, BMW galvanizing is pretty damn good.

Cheers R.
...and the power steering cooling ring itself.
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Just keep of them salty roads and you will be fine :wink:

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
Jamezee

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Jamezee »

motco wrote:I'd like to know about this too as I am probably going to get mine Waxoyled.
If you do let us all know how you got on. I think a previous owner had mine done but I would consider having it done again cost dependant :idea:
Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one. Harry Callahan.

BMW dust caps x 4 (replica)
Little Tree Air Freshener-Vanillaroma (now worn out and in the bin)
2006 AA road atlas (with the latest safety cameras)
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

I can recommend Dinitrol for the box sections and underside as it wont dry out like waxoyl.

Tim.
motco

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by motco »

TitanTim wrote:I can recommend Dinitrol for the box sections and underside as it wont dry out like waxoyl.

Tim.
Well actually it might be Dinitrol. I was having an oil service at Phil Crouch's place in Amersham (CPC Performance) and he mentioned that he could do it so I intend to make a date with him very soon. I don't know exactly what he uses.
c_w

M roadster S50

Post by c_w »

Spot-welds, of which there are many in the boot and engine bay area are prone to rusting as it kills the rust proofing/galvanising on the metal. My coupe has few rust spots around the engine bay spot-welds as did my old 2.8 roadster.
TWO

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by TWO »

yalden wrote:From my experience, the most common place for bubbling is around the boot lock. I presume if left untreated this would eventually develop into a more severe rust spot?
I have got the same problem :( Does anyone know how easy it is to remove the boot lock and if so the procedure?

Many thanks
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

I've taken off the sills and both rear wings. There is rust on the inside of them all. The galvanising doesn't help now. In fact, it makes things worse. It was great at stopping the car rusting for 10 years, but now there is corrosion everywhere and you can't get to it as it is under the coating. The panels need to be completely stripped and painted from scratch - this isn't going to happen. I'll attack the worst of it and I'll have to live with what's left :head: .

There is no way our cars will last as long as Robert T's frog :( .
Pingu
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

pingu wrote:There is no way our cars will last as long as some bits Robert T's frog :( .
Fixed that for you!

The frog has had a new floor pan, wings, wheels, engine, gearbox.... it's a classic British sports car - built to rust. :lol:

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

The difference between your frog and our cars is that yours could have been treated by the 1st owner to last. Ours couldn't. Galvanising is great if its done properly with very high quality steel underneath. Ours were built to last 6 years with no external signs of rust. They passed that test with flying colours, but now the steel is starting to break down under the zinc coating (I reckon that it's just cosmetic problems for the next 20 years - so no immediate panic).

Last edited by pingu on Wed 25 Jul, 2012 10:19, edited 1 time in total.
Pingu
Badman gee

M roadster S50

Post by Badman gee »

thanks for the video Gary.

Will you consider new sills?

Mark

The 'BEAST' 666
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

pingu wrote:I've taken off the sills and both rear wings. There is rust on the inside of them all. The galvanising doesn't help now. In fact, it makes things worse. It was great at stopping the car rusting for 10 years, but now there is corrosion everywhere and you can't get to it as it is under the coating. The panels need to be completely stripped and painted from scratch - this isn't going to happen. I'll attack the worst of it and I'll have to live with what's left :head: .

There is no way our cars will last as long as Robert T's frog :( .

They will if you keep the car off the road during winter. A salt bath is the quickest way for your car to deteriorate.

Tim.
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

The painter I use has suggested bead-blasting the sills back to bare metal :shock: . I've started doing the other bits and will probably get them blasted. It's all down to price.

It won't be a new one, though - eek
TitanTim wrote:They will if you keep the car off the road during winter. A salt bath is the quickest way for your car to deteriorate.
Unfortunately, some inconsiderate barsteward has been driving mine :head: .
Pingu
z-pru

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by z-pru »

Just done my sills, not an easy job but very satisfiying once done. Replaced some of the wheel arch bolts because they were rusted away and needed some new door seal trim clips as I broke half of mine getting the trim off. I may post pictures to follow.