Heat

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
sapper1592

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Heat

Post by sapper1592 »

My z gets up to temperature when I am driving slowly or idling but when doing normal driving the temperature guage falls to just below the mark to the left of the 12 oclock position. It also takes a long time to get up to the 12 position . I drive 12 miles to work and it gets nowhere near the optimum temperature . Is my thermostat on its way out or could there be somthin else
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Heat

Post by Brian H »

sapper1592 wrote:My z gets up to temperature when I am driving slowly or idling but when doing normal driving the temperature guage falls to just below the mark to the left of the 12 oclock position. It also takes a long time to get up to the 12 position . I drive 12 miles to work and it gets nowhere near the optimum temperature . Is my thermostat on its way out or could there be somthin else
Sounds as though your thermostat has gone, the temp gauge is a buffed gauge (36 degree range IIRC) so the needle should sit in the middle when up to temp.

HTH
PCSAM

blank

Post by PCSAM »

im suffering from this also . im no good at doing the job myself :oops: I wonder what the labour time in doing a thermostat change is :shock:
swamper

M roadster S50

Post by swamper »

PCSAM wrote:im suffering from this also . im no good at doing the job myself :oops: I wonder what the labour time in doing a thermostat change is :shock:
its 3 bolts off 3 bolts on....you can do it :wink:
the badness makes me do it...!

sapper1592

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by sapper1592 »

thanks it looks as though Iwill be changing my thermostat, is it a good idea to do the water pump at the same time. as far as I am aware its never been done and z is just coming up to 70000. thanks
swamper

M roadster S50

Post by swamper »

i would....but getting the thing off is a different matter..some people dead easy............others are APITA...if you can do it without much trouble do it...

read from the bottom up..
http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/techart ... r-pump.htm
the badness makes me do it...!

Wolverine_1999

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Wolverine_1999 »

Mine also stays at the 1st "notch" under normal driving (not sitting in traffic), but the same happens in my 318ci.

The only thing I've noticed is that everyone who mentions this problem seems to have A/C, whereby I don't have it in neither. A friend with A/C in his 318ci gets the needle in the centre.

If you are blowing full heat all the time, won't the engine cool down anyway?
aceman

M roadster S50

Post by aceman »

The electronic thermostat on the Z3 usually fails open meaning it allows coolent to circulate through the radiator permanantly resulting in a lower engine temperature when you are moving but you will see the guage rise when you are stood in traffic because no air is flowing through the radiator. The A/C should have no bearing on this action other thank if you are replacing the water pump the replacement belts which you might as well do at the same time are different due to them not having to drive the A/C compressor.

I would do the the water pump as a precaution but just be prepared for it to be a pig to extract as some have found, when I did mine it came out dead easy it was the fan removal I struggled with as I didn't have the correct tool at the time and ended up manufacturing my own out fo some steel plate.
Aceman

Arctic Silver '98 Z3M

Previously;
Bright RED '99 Z3 2.8

Rocking seats ? You need seat bushes click HERE
Wolverine_1999

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Wolverine_1999 »

Hmm interesting. Sounds like both might be faulty so :?

It is a major issue however? (other than fuel usage)
aceman

M roadster S50

Post by aceman »

That's the other thing when you get it sorted you will notice your mpg better by at least 2-3mpg which is a plus. :D
Aceman

Arctic Silver '98 Z3M

Previously;
Bright RED '99 Z3 2.8

Rocking seats ? You need seat bushes click HERE