Cup Holders

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Fender2004

Z3 roadster 2.8

Cup Holders

Post by Fender2004 »

Just thought I'd share this purchase with you this is a dealer part I bought before Christmas, for about £45

Before

After

and with the cup holders ready for use

It might not be as good as the one with the arm rest but it was about a quarter of the price.

It is also east to fit there are two screws to drill a small hole for, or do what I did and use double sided sticky pads.
Also one side of the cup holder is spring loaded, so once you have put your cup into the holder the spring keeps a hold of the cup.
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Cup Holders

Post by Mike Fishwick »

I really find these things comical - do people really place cups of tea etc in them, and occasionally take a sip as they drive along?

I have never felt this uncontrollable urge to drink while I am driving, and can just imagine that when changing to fourth gear one's elbow will hit the cup!

Are they for real, or just 'something to have?'

I know I'll be slagged off for such an attitude, but who cares?
Fender2004

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Cup Holders

Post by Fender2004 »

Mike Fishwick wrote:I really find these things comical - do people really place cups of tea etc in them, and occasionally take a sip as they drive along?

I have never felt this uncontrollable urge to drink while I am driving, and can just imagine that when changing to fourth gear one's elbow will hit the cup!

Must have very wide arms :D
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Arms

Post by Mike Fishwick »

I'm of normal proportions, but when changing up to fourth gear my hand is on the gear lever, and my elbow well over the area occupied by cup holders.

Perhaps people change their technique to avoid the cupholder, but it seems a very odd way to change gear.

From my cynical viewpoint cupholders are like footrests and armrests - just one more useless piece of junk which some people think is usefu. Maybe they are - for that long drive across the Arizona desert!
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Thats cool, I've never seen one of them in the flesh before, just the RealOEM pic which is not very good:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do ... fg=95&hl=1
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
Fender2004

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fender2004 »

[quote="Jonttt"]Thats cool, I've never seen one of them in the flesh before, just the RealOEM pic wh

Glad I made someone happy
Boysie

M roadster S50

Post by Boysie »

Hi Fender2004

Cup holders have been an issue on here love em or hate em
I have the armrest/cupholder "Justroadster", I think its brilliant,
it should have been a standard fit on the car.
I have my seat right back, so it suits me fine

"People are entitled to their own opinions "

A great purchase :)
Its better than that empty space

Lovely colour Car :D
Ray

S50 ///M Roadster, Arctic Silver, Imola Red/Black interior
1970 Austin Healey Sprite, Original ' Now Sold :-(
2002 Harley 1130cc V Rod Custom

Wolverine_1999

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Wolverine_1999 »

Boysie wrote:Hi Fender2004

Cup holders have been an issue on here love em or hate em
I have the armrest/cupholder "Justroadster", I think its brilliant,
it should have been a standard fit on the car.
I have my seat right back, so it suits me fine

"People are entitled to their own opinions "

A great purchase :)
Its better than that empty space

Lovely colour Car :D
I would love that armrest! I have one in my 318 but really miss it in the Z. I've always been contemplating the cup holders as well, just never had the gut to go for it yet :D
Boysie

M roadster S50

Post by Boysie »

Hi Wolverine_1999

This may sound strange, but it seems to
enhance the driving postion, no more wobbly elbows
A great add on
Ray

TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

I'm really likeing that, and never seen one as OEM fitment before. If I didn't have the JustRoadster armrest would get one of these :lol:

Mike, entitled to your opinion as always, I would hate to be your wife while out shopping :D The idea is...... Nice drive, stop at a nice location, hood down, out with the thermos and use your nice convieniently placed cupholders :lol: I use mine all the time simply to place a small bottle of water or to rest a water bottle when leaving the car.

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
sobe_on

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by sobe_on »

so cool : )
BMW Aero Side Skirt/rear spoiler & chrome roll bar/ handle
AC schnitzer front/rear bumper splitter,Exhaust,type2 17"
BC coilover/H&R swaybar/wiecher's strut
Jamezee

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Jamezee »

I like them. I find that hardly any cars these days seem to have a flat surface inside that you can put your brew on when stationary.

Once a coffee cup has slid off the dash and spilled on your carpet or behind the dash the smell will be with you forever. :)
Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one. Harry Callahan.

BMW dust caps x 4 (replica)
Little Tree Air Freshener-Vanillaroma (now worn out and in the bin)
2006 AA road atlas (with the latest safety cameras)
msassoon

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by msassoon »

Anyone installed part 2 here?

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do ... fg=95&hl=1

is it just a case of pulling out the old one and swapping? Is it post facelift, or would it fit a pre-facelift? I like the idea of the holes, and need somewhere for the sunglasses 8-)
Cheers

Marc
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

Jamezee wrote:I like them. I find that hardly any cars these days seem to have a flat surface inside that you can put your brew on when stationary.
Yeah, right :wink: .
Pingu
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

Fender2004 wrote:Glad I made someone happy
You have a tough audience in MF. Bet you he wont be driving back from KFC/ Maccy D's to his house with two sloshing drink containers and a bag of food though like some of us do.
If you dont do that you won't ever see the benefit.
Mike Fishwick wrote:do people really place cups of tea etc in them?
:roflmao: therein lies the divide.
If only I had a place for the sugar bowl and milk jug too.. :D

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

gookah wrote:therein lies the divide.
If only I had a place for the sugar bowl and milk jug too.. :D
Indeed. There lies the divide.

I use teabags and you use a milk jug and sugar bowl :D .
Pingu
Sorcerors Apprentice

Other roadster

Post by Sorcerors Apprentice »

Surprised that fishy is not on .org yet........... :idea:
J1SUA

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by J1SUA »

That is a cool upgrade! Tempted :)

Z3 1.9 | 17" ACS Style 2s refurbed in grey/silver | Debadged | New Rear Window | Retro fitted Fog lights | HID kit | Clarion slim sub | Clear side indicators | Colour coded handles | Halo Front lights | Hardtop | Winter 15" Style 27s on Vredestein Wintrax
Orinoco

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Orinoco »

Hi
I've had the same cup holder fitted to my car for a number of years.

I think that it is good when parked up but I wouldn't use it on the move as it seems to hold the can etc tightly and is a bit awkward to push in whilst driving.

Perfect when I park up near Guisborough for a cuppa and bacon and egg sandwich now and then when driving through the North York moors.

Regards
Orinoco
John1950

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by John1950 »

Mike Fishwick wrote:I really find these things comical - do people really place cups of tea etc in them, and occasionally take a sip as they drive along?

I couldn't agree more.
I mean, sports car, effervescent driving, liquids - nah....

Now if it was was of those snazzy arm rests - well, I'd love one of those. If any of you cup holder fans want to swap out your arm rest, I've got an OEM wind deflector (75cm version) to give in exchange?
John Walker
Baarn, Holland
Image Image

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by meldrew »

What a superb improvement, I always wedge my can of diet coke in the existing aperture but you have to crush it a bit to make it a nice tight fit.
Even so if I brake a bit sharpish it falls over and fills the recess with coke, and many's the time I have had to mop it out.
I shall buy one asap, now just want a holder for my bacon sandwich.

Sounds like Mike hasn't lived.
Boysie

M roadster S50

Post by Boysie »

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
I dont even like people eating in the car
balancing a can of coke :roll:
Sorry I am lost for words :roll:
I wouldnt even do that in my works van
Mind you most people comment its to clean for a van

How you want to treat your own personal belongings is down
to each individual

So we we must repect each others hang ups with out comment
"Please"
Last edited by Boysie on Tue 17 Jan, 2012 13:02, edited 1 time in total.
Ray

Boysie

M roadster S50

Post by Boysie »

double post
Last edited by Boysie on Mon 16 Jan, 2012 17:09, edited 1 time in total.
Ray

Boysie

M roadster S50

Post by Boysie »

double post
Last edited by Boysie on Mon 16 Jan, 2012 17:08, edited 1 time in total.
Ray

Fender2004

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fender2004 »

[quote="meldrew"]What a superb improvement, I always wedge my can of diet coke in the existing apert

LOL I`m working on the bacon sandwich
holder give me time :)
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Comments

Post by Mike Fishwick »

Well, this IS a discussion forum, so why worry about other people's views on your pet cupholder etc?

We must maintain a sense of humour about such comments, and not take them personally.

While I find cup holders, arm rests, footrests, satnavs, cruise controls, stereos etc etc to be useless fripperies, I appreciate that to others they are indeed the stuff of life.

I don't get upset when people criticise my various deviations fm the holy grail of ex-factory originality, in terms of a high-level rear view mirror, small steering wheel, shortened gear lever etc, which simply make the car more suitable for me.

If you want a bacon butty holder then go for it, but include a tissue dispenser to wipe the fatty condensate off the inside of the windscreen!
Gazza

M roadster S54

Re: Comments

Post by Gazza »

Mike Fishwick wrote: I don't get upset when people criticise my various deviations fm the holy grail of ex-factory originality, in terms of a high-level rear view mirror, small steering wheel, shortened gear lever etc, which simply make the car more suitable for me.
I must do this
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Comments

Post by Robert T »

Mike Fishwick wrote:If you want a bacon butty holder then go for it, but include a tissue dispenser to wipe the fatty condensate off the inside of the windscreen!
You should patent that! :D

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
c_w

M roadster S50

Post by c_w »

I don't get cupholders either. Especially one that means sitting the drink in the centre console right where your elbow is going to be, the car is so narrow it's hard not to cover that area when driving.

On newer cars with them sliding out of the dash they kind of make sense but I would never go about retro-fitting one!
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

It's also about transporting drinks containers as well. You don't necessarily have to be drinking the contents to find them useful. Try standing two lidded containers in a cardboard holder from KFC to your house on the passenger seat without them tipping over. It's not cos I drink and drive but I may want to take them home. Cup holders, sat navs, iPod head units, and every other mod is a godsend. It must be a generation thing. :D

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
c_w

M roadster S50

Post by c_w »

gookah wrote:It's also about transporting drinks containers as well. You don't necessarily have to be drinking the contents to find them useful. Try standing two lidded containers in a cardboard holder from KFC to your house on the passenger seat without them tipping over. It's not cos I drink and drive but I may want to take them home. Cup holders, sat navs, iPod head units, and every other mod is a godsend. It must be a generation thing. :D
Not sure about generation-thing, more like magpie thing :P I've used a sat nav a handful of times in my life as it was factory fitted in to the car I used because it was there but I usually plan a route on google maps so I know where I'm going and where I've been, but I'd never use any distracting aftermarket tat stuck to my windscreen. :twisted:

On the odd occassion I've been to KFC etc they seem to stand ok in their boxes on a steady drive home.
g8jka
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by g8jka »

c_w wrote:I've used a sat nav a handful of times in my life as it was factory fitted in to the car I used because it was there but I usually plan a route on google maps so I know where I'm going and where I've been, but I'd never use any distracting aftermarket tat stuck to my windscreen. :twisted:
I'd find it much easier and certainly a lot safer using a sat nav than trying to read my AA route planner instructions or even trying to use a map whilst driving :shock:

Otherwise I'm forever pulling over to check instructions so my journey then turns into 3 hours instead of 2 :head:

If all of these sat navs, stereos, cup holders etc were a distraction to the driver I'm sure the manufacturers would be unable to fit them as standard or neither would we be able to purchase them as an after market item :?:
c_w wrote:On the odd occassion I've been to KFC etc they seem to stand ok in their boxes on a steady drive home.
I find this more distracting as I'm forever taking my eyes of the road to check the drinks don't fall over and spill everywhere, yet if I had a couple of cup holders that seat the drinks securely and safely I wouldn't need to take my eyes of the road to check for spillages etc, so in my opinion this is a lot safer :D
2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Titanium Silver Roadster with too many mods to list :-D :drive
Click For 2.0 Progress Journal
Click For 2.8 Progress Journal
c_w

M roadster S50

Post by c_w »

Cupholders, I don't see the attraction of because they are additional tat in the car - you just don't need them and in the case of the small z3 cabin they will just get in the way. Sometimes I carry a bottle in the car but that is for my 14month year old son, I can't ever recall becoming so thirsty whilst driving that I felt the need to reach for the console for a tinnie :)
g8jka wrote:
c_w wrote:I've used a sat nav a handful of times in my life as it was factory fitted in to the car I used because it was there but I usually plan a route on google maps so I know where I'm going and where I've been, but I'd never use any distracting aftermarket tat stuck to my windscreen. :twisted:
I'd find it much easier and certainly a lot safer using a sat nav than trying to read my AA route planner instructions or even trying to use a map whilst driving :shock:

Otherwise I'm forever pulling over to check instructions so my journey then turns into 3 hours instead of 2 :head:

If all of these sat navs, stereos, cup holders etc were a distraction to the driver I'm sure the manufacturers would be unable to fit them as standard or neither would we be able to purchase them as an after market item :?:
It does actually surprise me that a big bright screen can be placed in a windscreen and create a huge blind spot but the car will fail an MOT with a small stone chip in the wiping area. Satnav Boy can be spotted from miles behind at night, and confirms it by changing lanes inexplicably because the satnav said keep right ahead etc.

Some people appear to struggle with maps, I generally quickly read a map before I start a journey and remember it. Typically there is nowhere in the that off the top of my head/quick view of a map I can't get to within a few miles (ie it's onlt the local area/roads that you would need to refer to a map). I thought all men had this capability? :P
g8jka
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by g8jka »

c_w wrote:I can't ever recall becoming so thirsty whilst driving that I felt the need to reach for the console for a tinnie :)

It does actually surprise me that a big bright screen can be placed in a windscreen and create a huge blind spot but the car will fail an MOT with a small stone chip in the wiping area. Satnav Boy can be spotted from miles behind at night, and confirms it by changing lanes inexplicably because the satnav said keep right ahead etc.

Some people appear to struggle with maps, I generally quickly read a map before I start a journey and remember it. Typically there is nowhere in the UK that off the top of my head/quick view of a map I can't get to within a few miles (ie it's onlt the local area/roads that you would need to refer to a map). I thought all men had this capability? :P
I totally agree, its not about drinking whilst driving its more of a case of transporting a drink that may spill over from one place to another without it spilling.

And yes you are correct there is people who dive from lane to lane all because the sat nav says so, without checking there mirrors before they make the change but then there's the one who sit in the middle lane all day long :head:

I don't travel long distances all over the UK much, so there is lots of roads I am unfamiliar with and I find it hard to read a map and remember directions along the way whilst making my journey, mainly due to the distractions I get from the sat nav meaning I can't remember the route I read from the map :D
2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Titanium Silver Roadster with too many mods to list :-D :drive
Click For 2.0 Progress Journal
Click For 2.8 Progress Journal
c_w

M roadster S50

Post by c_w »

For me it's all that plus an anti-clutter policy in my cars :lol:
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

Most cars I see on a motorway nowadays have a sat nav in the window.
Even Taxi drivers are using them.
Maybe we sat nav users are all wrong, and should go back to the AA A3size Road Atlas that doesn't tell you how far you have remaining on your journey, the time of arrival, beeps at you in a speed camera area, (not that I was speeding officer) tells you which turn to take in advance, reminds you to turn around if you miss that turn or recalculates your journey. shows you where the nearest petrol station or cash till is and directs you another way around a traffic jam.
Still , I suppose a starting handle had advantages as well, not like todays expensive motors cluttering up the engine bay..... :roflmao:

Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Satnav takes the pain out of work driving - finding an office in an unknown town is a chore I can do without - I used to spend hours looking at streetmap (then google maps) to plan a route, writing down the directions and then tucking it behind the sunvisor so I could flip it down to check the next road number - one wrong turn and the plan goes to hell and you have to backtrack on yourself or get the map out - so glad I don't have to do that any more. The other advantage of modern satnavs is they have live traffic info and this even works abroad. Yes, you need to apply an ounce of common sense when using them, but I wouldn't be without mine. Oh, and I mount mine on the side window, well below eye level - I listen to it and only look at it when I really need to.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Generation Thing

Post by Mike Fishwick »

I would be the first to admit that my lack of a satnav etc is due to my age, as I was driving well before electronic gizmos became a must-have!

I use to travel by motorcycle as far as eastern Poland etc, using an idiot card tucked into the front of the fairing, and a map to refresh my memory when stopped, which worked very well.

The result is that I still navigate the same way - but of course if I had to regularly find obscure places in large cities - particularly London - I would probably use a satnav. On the rare occasions I do so, a map still works as well as it always did.

The problem, I feel, is that habitual satnav users lack a sense of where they are, for while can get to anywhere, but when they arrive they don't know how they got there, or where they are!
Jamezee

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Jamezee »

Got to agree with you on that Mike, you do not get a good sense of the overall view with a sat nav. You cannot beat the old A to Z.
Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one. Harry Callahan.

BMW dust caps x 4 (replica)
Little Tree Air Freshener-Vanillaroma (now worn out and in the bin)
2006 AA road atlas (with the latest safety cameras)
Boysie

M roadster S50

Post by Boysie »

I have a TomTom satnav
I thinks great, but i only use it for about 5% of the journey,
obviously the last bit of the trip
Most people of my age know roughly what direction to go,
its the road/street tucked away thats the hard bit of the trip
A clever Toy :)
The A to Z maps seem to look smaller these days :)
Ray

pedro20001

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by pedro20001 »

had mine come today, took 10 days for dealer to get but as i am unable to drive at moment due to a foot op, thought i would be cheeky and ask them to pop it in the post, which cost them £4.75 for next day delivery and they didn't charge for it. :D Actually quite impressed with holder, somewher to put my special brew !!!! ( only joking !)