Front wishbone replacement

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
pedro20001

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Front wishbone replacement

Post by pedro20001 »

sorry to bring up this subject again, but are the front wishbones diy-able if replacing with new ones with ball joints already installed? any advice would be appreciated as i don't mind a few scraped knuckles :D I will also be addind powerflex rear wishbone bushes so fitting advice, as ever is always appreciated !!!
pedro20001

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by pedro20001 »

cheers, the only pain then might be removing rear bush from old bush from wishbone, removing rubber part and fitting powerflex inserts ( which i already have !) thanks for advice, will save me at least £120 labour and a pack of plasters is only a pound :D
aceman

M roadster S50

Post by aceman »

If you are doing the powerflex bushes as well can I suggest you purchase some complete oem bushes off ebay and remove the rubber bush from the holder (lollipop) and then use the now empty bush holder to insert your new powerflex bushes which can now be installed onto the new wishbones dead easy negating all the swearing of removing the old ones off the old wishbones. I have even seen bush holders without the actual bush for sale on ebay so will even make it easier if you can find them but if you can't here are a few photo's of when I did mine;

First cut through the rubber using a junior hacksaw to remove the rubber centre and metal sleeve.

Then using a full size hacksaw cut a slot in the outer metal ring.

Once you have cut the slot in the ring making sure you don't cut too far as to damage the bush holder itself, use a drift and a hammer to bend the ring inwards releasing the tension and the ring will just fall out.

You can then insert the purple part of the powerflex bush inside the bush holder and the black part is pressed onto the end of the wishbone with the aid of a socket to tap it home.

One thing I Would recommend when assembling the wishbone back to the car is to obtain a long socket extension so you can poke it down from the top of the engine to the inboard balljoint top nut so you can torque it up to the correct spec as you cannot get a torque wrench in from underneath, in fact it makes it alot easier to undo it in the first place also.
Aceman

Arctic Silver '98 Z3M

Previously;
Bright RED '99 Z3 2.8

Rocking seats ? You need seat bushes click HERE
Mr Silver

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Mr Silver »

I purchased 'empty' brackets from Euro Automotive Parts a while ago for very sensible money. They also sell the loaded wishbones. Search on Ebay and the parts are listed on their site under E36 (not Z3).

Regards.
msassoon

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by msassoon »

I have a set of bush carriers that have the rubber partially removed. If anyone is interested, I only really need postage. Maybe we should do some sort of exchange program on this, saves people buying new ones.
Cheers

Marc
pedro20001

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by pedro20001 »

cheers guys, this is my next job :!: just for info eurocarparts do lemforder arms for £90 and using "CLICKPART25" gives 25% off so both arms and powerflec bushes under £200 :D
seaDog

Not specified

Post by seaDog »

2 x Lemforder Arms £136.80 delivered from carparts4less.co.uk and then £33.70 for your powerflex bushes from ebay and that's just £170 all in

:D :D :D

Jas
pedro20001

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by pedro20001 »

with the saving, i can justify powerflex anti roll bar bushes :D