supercharging 2.2l Z3

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
leemingz3

blank

supercharging 2.2l Z3

Post by leemingz3 »

I`m looking to get a bit more out of my Z3 so has anyone supercharged the 2.2l M54 engine,if so with what results?
Devon Z
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Devon Z »

Have a look over on the US based Bimmerforums.com website they have a dedicated forced induction section with lots of info :)
99 2.0 Topaz Individual
leemingz3

blank

Post by leemingz3 »

Thanks for the reply but I had already had a look at that forum.I just wanted some info specific to the 2.2 which I don`t think was sold in the States,just Europe and Aussie.the other poss.is just to re-map-any info on that as well. t/y
billz

Z4 roadster 3.0si

Post by billz »

You will only gain around 5 to 10% extra on a remap but the car will feel a lot more resonsive on the throttle.
bill
Image ImageImageUploaded with ImageShack.com
Z3 3.0 Sports Sold
Z4 3.0si Ruby Black with Champagne Leather and Piano Black Dash
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Shrick etc

Post by Mike Fishwick »

The bits would cost about £4000, so at today's prices you could sell the 2.2 and buy a nice 3 litre for no more money, and have no problems - technical or insurance wise.

A 3 litre engine would also be more tolerant of the inevitable deterioration in UK fuel quality, and if also fitted with a good head would be a real flyer. It already has a bettert inlet cam and larger valves than the 2.8.
stu

Z3 roadster 2.8 supe

Post by stu »

I would heartily recommend ESS for their conversions, component quality and service. Our 2.8 has had an Vortech V2-SQ running low boost (6 psi) for over 10 years now. We gained a dyno proven 50% power & maintained the seamless torque of the BMW 6. The car will rev out in top gear quite easily now and runs 14.2s 1/4 miles very consistently too.

If you google ESS Supercharger Systems, you will find a lot of info. They do have some UK agents. I used NS Racing in Edgeware (only UK agent back then) for the upgrade.

You WILL NOT get anything like your money back if you sell, but you will have a very subtle Q car.

Have you thought/tried an M yet?

HTH.

Stu
someone in a minority once wrote:I know I'm in a minority
leemingz3

blank

Post by leemingz3 »

Many thanks for the replies guys,found it interesting Stu that you`ve had the charger for 10yrs as that is my worry as to engine longevity.,and yes have looked at the ess site.The difference for me is I`m in Australia (Perth) where the cars are a damn sight dearer than the uk and to pick up an equivalent M would be over double what I paid for the 2.2.To give you an idea mine cost about 14000 pounds for a 2001 with about 50000 miles.It would cost about 5000 pounds to fit the charger.Also the car is in good nick so and I like the colour(dakar yellow)so makes sense all round to keep it and mod it.Alternatively a re map costs about 1000pounds here.
Would be interested in any more stories of mods.
All the above figures are with a good aussie/uk exchange rate (for me).[/i]
stu

Z3 roadster 2.8 supe

Post by stu »

That makes complete sense.

Good luck with the search.
leemingz3

blank

Re: supercharging 2.2l Z3

Post by leemingz3 »

Finally have the supercharger fitted and runs like a dream,not had it dyno`d but certainly feels like the 50% increase in torque/power that ESS claim.Very happy with the quality and fitment of their gear.Won`t recoup the cost but great way to drive.
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

How about some pics and a roadtest report ;)

I'll be in Perth Feb next year, you can take me for a spin 8-)
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
leemingz3

blank

Post by leemingz3 »

Yes no probs Gazza,will organise something nearer the time,what suburb are you staying in? I`ll load some photo`s shortly.
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

I be down in Rockingham ;)
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
leemingz3

blank

Post by leemingz3 »

Here`s the car and supercharger.
stu

Z3 roadster 2.8 supe

supercharging 2.2l Z3

Post by stu »

Nice one, welcome to the club. Any dyno results?
leemingz3

blank

Post by leemingz3 »

Thanks Stu,not dyno`d yet,spending the $`s instead on a zip in window and radiator from the states.