Speedo ,rev,temp Fuel Gauges Stopped Working

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
pete59

Z3 roadster 2.0

Speedo ,rev,temp Fuel Gauges Stopped Working

Post by pete59 »

My gauges stopped working for a while today,they have now started again,has anyone had a similar problem or who knows the cause because i do not want it to be a on going prob.many thanks pete
///M_aniac
Z Register member

M roadster S50

Post by ///M_aniac »

Hi Pete

Was there an error code displayed when this happened? EEP1or 2?

What you have described sounds like a dodgy/frazzled coding chip from what you've said. jj29 who bought my last Zed had encountered a problem like this. You might want to send him a PM for AFAIK he got it cured.

But it's encouraging to hear it rectified itself, so maybe something not as drastic like a loose connection?

HTH

C
Last edited by ///M_aniac on Sat 25 Feb, 2012 17:07, edited 1 time in total.
BMW Z3, the only way to build a true roadster

Image - The most powerful letter in the world.
Cloz wrote:There is something that will never change is my love for Z3
smartypants wrote:Conor?

With an M??

The World's gone mad :D
smartypants wrote:The Z3 rear is a great thing to behold ;)
Trevsky

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Trevsky »

Yes I have had this happen. Went to fill up with petrol, switched ignition on, no gauges, no speedo etc.
Got home took cover off relay/fuse box under bonnet, waggled all relays -hey presto! everything back to normal. Conclusion loose relay.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Yes, I've had it twice previously (quite some time ago). My suspicion would be the wiring loom leading up to the dash pod - the wiring can chafe against the metalwork and this could well be the cause. It could also just be a loose connector somewhere. The trouble with intermittent problems like this is that you can tear the car apart looking for a problem, and still not know whether you have actually cured it. If mine happens again, I think I will take the plunge and have a look at the wiring, but it has been well behaved for a few years now.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
pete59

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by pete59 »

Lets hope so,i will look behind the cluster if it continues,thanks for the advice chaps.pete.
Zed Carer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Zed Carer »

When I had my dashboard out there were the first signs of the loom to the back of the pod rubbing so I fitted a piece of pipe insulation as shown below:

Hers: Z4 2.0i Sp --------------------- His: Z3 2.8
Neal P

Z3 roadster 2.8

Speedo / rev counter etc.,

Post by Neal P »

I had a similar problem which started about a year ago. I had left the car for a few weeks when the weather was freezing and the battery failed. When I got the car re-started the problem you described happened intermittently. Over time it happened more often and eventually failed completely. New cluster £600 !!! Got one for £50 off ebay but need to work out how to get the mileage changed ( Any ideas anyone !)
wildeboy

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by wildeboy »

I beleive that the mileage is stored on the ecu so should show the same whatever cluster you install.

Why I beleive that I am not sure though! I must have read it somewhere but am expecting to be corrected very soon! :dunce:

I have just bought a very cheap cluster off ebay with white lockwood dials, I just want to know how it looks without the hassle of actually taking my cluster to bits to fit the dials!
1997 Z3 2.8 in Montreal Blue, only 130k on the clock!
OEM Roll Hoops
M50B25 Inlet manifold
BMC CDA Induction kit
Beige roof
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

The mileage is stored in both the cluster and the ECU and if the two don't agree the tamper dot illuminates. The ECU mileage can only be overwritten by a higher mileage, so a cluster that has done less miles cannot be used to "clock" the car.

See:

http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23731

And:

http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25893

There are a few more threads on the subject if you search for "tamper and dot".

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Neal P

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Speedo ,rev,temp Fuel Gauges Stopped Working

Post by Neal P »

Thanks for the response, I had a look at some of the previous threads and I am a little confused. My current milage is 58k, the new cluster has 78k on it when I read through the instructions it seems that the ECU on my car would be overwritten with the higher mileage ? :dunce: Maybe I'm not understanding the instructions ?