Rear wing

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
kp

Z3 roadster 1.9

Rear wing

Post by kp »

Could anyone tell me if the rear wings are bolted on or welded on as I'm starting to get some rust now.... Thanks :head:
johnjo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by johnjo »

Bolted on as long as it a roadster :P
OldskoolRS

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Rear wing

Post by OldskoolRS »

kp wrote:Could anyone tell me if the rear wings are bolted on or welded on as I'm starting to get some rust now.... Thanks :head:
Where are they rusting? I've looked at loads of Z3s recently and the only rust I saw was under the bonnet on one car. I'd started to think Z3s must be galvanised or similar, now you have me worried...
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

They are galvanised which is great until the galvanisation gets damaged :head: .

There is a rust trap on the rear wings. You have to remove the plastic wheel arch and look at the rear mounting. You will probably see quite a lot of corrosion - I did. The corrosion affected the mounting and did not perforate the skin. The only way to cure the problem was to remove the wing to repair and paint the damage.

When you consider that it is a 10 to 16 year old car it's not bad, but now is the time to kill the metalworm if you can.
Pingu
kp

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by kp »

Bolted on that's good news my rust is coming up on the arches but the z3 is a p reg so it's getting on ..... Thanks guys
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

What's rust... :twisted:
OldskoolRS

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by OldskoolRS »

pingu wrote:They are galvanised which is great until the galvanisation gets damaged :head: .

There is a rust trap on the rear wings. You have to remove the plastic wheel arch and look at the rear mounting. You will probably see quite a lot of corrosion - I did. The corrosion affected the mounting and did not perforate the skin. The only way to cure the problem was to remove the wing to repair and paint the damage.

When you consider that it is a 10 to 16 year old car it's not bad, but now is the time to kill the metalworm if you can.
Thanks for the information...I'll have a good look at my new purchase over the weekend to see what it's like, fingers crossed. I bought the Z3 as I'm dealing with rust on my RS2000. Hope the Z3 doesn't turn into another project. :head:
kp

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by kp »

Does anyone know if the back wings are hard to get of hi have the z3 roadster :rtm:
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

You need to take off the plastic strip in the door jamb to access the front bolts. You may break some of the white plastic catches (80p each to replace).

You also need to unbolt the boot (you don't need to remove it as long as you can keep it secured).

There are no hidden bolts along the top edge.
Pingu