WOT, no "MG" wave?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Pistol968

Z3 roadster 2.8

WOT, no "MG" wave?

Post by Pistol968 »

Took the Z out for a spin on Sunday with the roof down as the sun was shining. Did 30 or so miles along country roads (and to Halfords) and on my travels encountered at least 4 other Zeds.

Having been both a motorcyclist of the nodding helmet persuasion and an MG owner in the past I gave each one a nice little wave as a fellow member of the Z owning community.

Not one response. I felt a right twit.....shan't be doing any of that again.(':oops:')
Ian_C

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Ian_C »

Don't give up. Real enthusiasts do wave :wave
Current...1998 ///M Coupe
Previously...1997 Z3 2.8
Wolverine_1999

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Wolverine_1999 »

I actually got "pulled over" by another enthusiast over here :D

He liked my angel eyes so much he had to know how I installed them 8-)

But you do get not noticed by a lot of them.. probably because they are oblivious that whatever else is happening on the road as well.
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

You'll get used to being the only wally who waves until suddenly another wally waves back. It makes it all worthwhile :D .

I wave to anyone with the top down :wave .
Pingu
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Waves

Post by Mike Fishwick »

Z3 owners are in general a miserable crowd, though perhaps they drive so seldom that they are terrified by the other traffic, suffer from tunnel vision, or feel that to wave back would ruin their carefully-cultivated 'cool' image!

I have often waved at an aproaching Z3 - and in spite of being the only car around, on a mountain pass, for example, generally receive the cold shoulder.

Mazda MX-5 owners, on the other hand, have far better manners, and one sees far more of them in remote places that all the Z3s put together - which tells you something.
orange

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by orange »

I've had my Z3 for a couple of weeks now and I've yet to see another on the road. Seen a couple whilst driving the works van around Cambridge - both the same colour as mine. As yet I can't work out which model/engine the others had and was a tad concerned mine had been nicked!
In the past when I've bought a car I'd see loads of the same model straight away. No one waved at me then in a Toyota Carina diesel or Vauxhall Meriva - hardly surprising.
Did get a wave from a chap in a red Z4 at the weekend :-)
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

I was waved at by a policeman the other day :D .
Pingu
EnthuZiaZT

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by EnthuZiaZT »

orange wrote:I've had my Z3 for a couple of weeks now and I've yet to see another on the road. Seen a couple whilst driving the works van around Cambridge - both the same colour as mine. As yet I can't work out which model/engine the others had and was a tad concerned mine had been nicked!
In the past when I've bought a car I'd see loads of the same model straight away. No one waved at me then in a Toyota Carina diesel or Vauxhall Meriva - hardly surprising.
We'll keep our eye out for you, being only just down the road in Sutton, Nr Ely, we often pop to the flicks or the Garden Centre and mostly see at least 2 other Zeddars 8-)
Mike & Sandy - Mora Metallic Individual 2.0L

IMG_1038.jpg~originalImage
orange

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by orange »

EnthuZiaZT wrote:
orange wrote:I've had my Z3 for a couple of weeks now and I've yet to see another on the road. Seen a couple whilst driving the works van around Cambridge - both the same colour as mine. As yet I can't work out which model/engine the others had and was a tad concerned mine had been nicked!
We'll keep our eye out for you, being only just down the road in Sutton, Nr Ely, we often pop to the flicks or the Garden Centre and mostly see at least 2 other Zeddars 8-)
Ok...will do too!

I went to look at an orange Z3 for sale in Sutton. Dunno if orange is the correct colour for it. As per most adverts on Auto Trader the car looked alot better in the pics than in the metal. It had a cracked rear window and a peculiarly portable gear knob! It drove well...I didn't buy it even though it was a nice colour.

Your Zed is a nice colour too 8-)
Pistol968

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Pistol968 »

I've decided to keep waving but to be prepared to do an "Adele" at the last second if I don't get a wave back!
peteslag

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by peteslag »

Pistol968 wrote:I've decided to keep waving but to be prepared to do an "Adele" at the last second if I don't get a wave back!
Now I've got a mental image of Adele shoe-horning her substantial ginger frame into Zed. Not good :(
Z3 3.0, Ford ST220, Jaguar XK8, Mr2 GT Turbo, Fiat Bravo HGT, Cavalier, Astra convertible, MK1 Astra GTE, XR3i, E21 323i, XR3, Cavalier, VW Jetta, Rover SDi, Capri 2.0S, Audi 80 GTE, another Cavalier, brown Astra van, Citroen GS Club (we all had to start somewhere).
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

I just Flash 'em and if that don't work I flash my headlights :P
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
whiteminks

M roadster S54

Post by whiteminks »

G, you tart :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: I just give them the royal wave. :queen: :devil:
big cheesy wrote:'I nearly cacked my trolleys till I quickly tuned in'. Yorkshire Cruise 2008.
Zed Carer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Zed Carer »

Wolverine_1999 wrote:But you do get not noticed by a lot of them.. probably because they are oblivious that whatever else is happening on the road as well.
Having spent the last 6 days in Kerry I agree that 99.9% of drivers appear not to have a clue what is actually going on around them - it also appears that indicators are an optional extra on every car and not just BMW's :D'
Hers: Z4 2.0i Sp --------------------- His: Z3 2.8
OldskoolRS

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by OldskoolRS »

I'd probably start waving at Zeds, then realise that I'm in my work car. :D This has happened with RS2000s and I've been given rude hand gestures in return (as I was driving my old Audi A4, which seemed to provoke hand gestures anyway :D ).

I think I'll wear out my arm though as since I started looking into Z3s I seem to spot at least 2 or 3 a day in my travels, not counting the ones I'd gone to look at.
Devon Z
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.0

Re: WOT, no "MG" wave?

Post by Devon Z »

Then there's the Z4 down the nose look :?
99 2.0 Topaz Individual
motco

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by motco »

I have given up on this. I get a lot of waving from other Westfield drivers when I'm out in mine - from Caterham drivers too, as I used to with my MG MIdget, but the Z seems to invoke plain ignorance from other owners. :cry:
Ci

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Ci »

No one waves in a Z3 - unfriendly lot! I don't wave at them any more.
In my MGB, owned for 20 years lots of waves. Ci (waving)
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

There are 20,000 Z3s and we are struggling to get a few hundred to go to Silverstone. I think that tells you who is in the minority.

There are a few hundred enthusiasts and many thousands of ordinary drivers.

BTW :wave
Last edited by pingu on Sun 04 Mar, 2012 21:59, edited 1 time in total.
Pingu
EnthuZiaZT

Z3 roadster 2.0

Re:

Post by EnthuZiaZT »

Gazza wrote:I just Flash 'em and if that don't work I flash my headlights :P
So it was you!!!!!!!
Mike & Sandy - Mora Metallic Individual 2.0L

IMG_1038.jpg~originalImage