Hello... and Making a 2.8 a Match for an M Roadster.

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Zcootz

Z3 roadster 2.8

Hello... and Making a 2.8 a Match for an M Roadster.

Post by Zcootz »

Morning all.

Brand spanking new to the website, but not new to the Zed-scene.

Bought a 1.9 Z3 shortly after they first came out and kept it until a Lotus Elise caught my eye! Then had a 3.0 Z4 when they were first introduced and kept it until a Lotus Exige S2 caught my eye. Can you see a pattern developing here!?

Anyway… I’ve been looking for a roadster project to play around with for a couple of weeks and saw a 1999 2.8 Z3 for sale at a very sensible price. Cat D, but panel damage only, so essentially just ‘bolt-on’ repairs.

The plan is to gut the car to get it as light as possible and then see if I can modify it so that it goes, stops and turns as well as a similarly aged M Roadster.

So, this is where you good folks of Zroadster-ville come in! Knowledge is power!

I want to stiffen up the 2.8’s shell. Can anyone point me in the direction of any information on how it differs to the M one?

I plan to swap the engine over for an S54... are the 2.8's gearbox and diff man enough for the job?

Are there any brake components or wheels off of more recent M-cars that are bolt-on replacements for the Z’s?

… and any other pearls of wisdom!

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Cheers

Scotty
Jamezee

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Jamezee »

Welcome to the forum Zcootz, the knowledge database is a great source of information. Enjoy :)
Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one. Harry Callahan.

BMW dust caps x 4 (replica)
Little Tree Air Freshener-Vanillaroma (now worn out and in the bin)
2006 AA road atlas (with the latest safety cameras)
swamper

M roadster S50

Post by swamper »

i think the M has a strengthened chassis so you could go down the route of using strut brace front and rear....there also one for underneath as well.
should improve it quite a bit.
they sell them at the advert at the top of the page
http://www.strongstrut.com/
the badness makes me do it...!

Zcootz

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Zcootz »

Thanks fellas.

I'll certainly be running a strut at the front, so will check out the 'Strong Strut'.

I'm not averse to welding in strengthening gussets, but would prefer to know know where the manufacturer put them first on any uprated models.
swamper

M roadster S50

Post by swamper »

sorry mate....i cant help you with where it was strengthened but im sure iv read that it is.............it certainly feels much stronger
the badness makes me do it...!

Zcootz

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Zcootz »

No probs.
Zcootz

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Zcootz »

RealOEM show the boxes being the same on the 2.8 and 3.2... not sure how reliable that info is though!?
whiteminks

M roadster S54

Post by whiteminks »

Stu on here has gone down the supercharger route and boy can that thang shift( and the car) :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :devil:
big cheesy wrote:'I nearly cacked my trolleys till I quickly tuned in'. Yorkshire Cruise 2008.
Zcootz

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Zcootz »

I had thought about keeping the 2.8 and adding a Turbo or SC, but I guess the cost of doing so would be comparable (possibly higher) than just buying an S54.
stu

Z3 roadster 2.8 supe

Post by stu »

whiteminks wrote:Stu on here has gone down the supercharger route and boy can that thang shift( and the car) :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :devil:
:wink:

More potential with FI. Start with the 3 strong strut braces, m3 tca bushes then do the boot floor & diff mount.

Someone was doing a cf bonnet, but not seen a real one yet and junking seats will also remove weight, as will an aftermarket exhaust.

That'll keep you going for a while.
someone in a minority once wrote:I know I'm in a minority
Zcootz

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Zcootz »

Cheers Stu.

Can you point me in the direction of any boot / diff mod info please?
stu

Z3 roadster 2.8 supe

Re: Hello... and Making a 2.8 a Match for an M Roadster.

Post by stu »

Do a search you lazy git :wink:

Plenty of info on here and a few different ways to address it, but if you're talking serious power, speak to Deano, who has an LS3 V8 in his MZ3 and is an Aerospace Engineer, so knows his onions from his ailerons.
someone in a minority once wrote:I know I'm in a minority
Zcootz

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Hello... and Making a 2.8 a Match for an M Roadster.

Post by Zcootz »

stu wrote:Do a search you lazy git :wink:

Spoon feed me! :D