High pitched squeal

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

High pitched squeal

Post by TitanTim »

Hi all,

The Zed has developed this week an ear piercing high pitched squeal when reversing out the drive in the morning, seems to go when I arrive at work and reverse up. Seems too be coming from rear offside wheel, any ideas? sound a little like brake pad squeal?

Cheers,

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
Zed Carer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: High pitched squeal

Post by Zed Carer »

TitanTim wrote:Hi all,

The Zed has developed this week an ear piercing high pitched squeal when reversing out the drive in the morning, seems to go when I arrive at work and reverse up. Seems too be coming from rear offside wheel, any ideas? sound a little like brake pad squeal?

Cheers,

Tim.
There's a few possibilities:

1) It's just a protest at being taken out of the garage on cold mornings and being left parked outside all day and it may go away after a couple of days. :D

2) A handbrake shoe that is sticking slightly and eases during the drive to work.

3) The Z3 is a not happy about the new Z4 and is thinking that she has been cast aside for a younger model. And not only a younger model but one that has artificial engine enhancements, that doesn't have a natural top like hers and even has bigger backside. Better keep the Z3 and the Z4 well separated or there could be trouble. :lol:
Hers: Z4 2.0i Sp --------------------- His: Z3 2.8
OldskoolRS

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by OldskoolRS »

Can you park it on your drive without leaving the handbrake on and just leave it in gear? That might pin point if it's to do with the rear pad/caliper...not sure if the Zed has a separate arrangement for the handbrake or whether it somehow operates the same pads as the foot brake. Probably worth popping out the pads and retracting the calipers to free them off, clean everything up and put a (small) amount of copperslip or similar on the back of the brake pads as this usually helps stop squealing brakes.
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

I reckon you ran over the neighbours cat....

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

The video camera probably got clicked onto fast-forward when you were filming yourself reversing it up the drive. :wink:

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Thanks for the replies, managed to get the rear pads off (a first for me :shock: ) and refitted with a little copper grease although there was already a little grease in there, doesn't appear to be noisy now so will see how it goes.

Hopefully the Z3 and Z4 will mate and produce a Z2 :lol:

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
Zedona

Z4 roadster 3.0si

Post by Zedona »

I,ve had this problem, turned out to be a small stone had got between the disc and back plate.
Clue was the resurfacing of a nearby road where they had been over generous with the chippings
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

TitanTim wrote:
Hopefully the Z3 and Z4 will mate and produce a Z2 :lol:

Tim.

Z8 :D

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
Vic-Z3

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Vic-Z3 »

There is a problem with inbreeding .......................

More than likely turn out to be a Z34 ......... Big ugly sq nosed brut with a fat arse .......... :wink:
----------------- BMW Z3 Das Beste Auto -----------------

Mein altes Auto riecht nach Nudeln, hat dieses Auto eine Wurst Geruch.