Oh no massive oil leak

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Sp1key

Z4 coupe 3.0si

Oh no massive oil leak

Post by Sp1key »

Well I now feel incredibly stupid, not had my 1.9 M44 for long and decided to give it a good service

All went well I thought. However, after taking it a long drive then leaving it standing for an hour I noticed a few drips of oil around the sump plug

Cursing the new copper washer I jacked it up got underneath and got the ratchet on it- not much room to move so gave it a measured push with my foot, that'll sort it thought

Spirited drive next day, parked up and it is dropping oil at a constant drip, put it in the garage (late) placed a plastic container under the drip and promised to look this weekend

Well the container was full of oil, spilled over on to the floor, jacked it up, got right underneath and had a good look - I have cracked the sump casing, I can clearly see the 1 to 2 inch crack next to the sump plug and that's where the oil is coming from! Bahh

So OK get the "you. Are so stupid" comments out of the way first, however, presume his now requires a new sump pan, gaskets etc. But does anyone know if this is a DIY job - looks like the sump protector needs to come off but don't know what else,

Anyone had to replace this before - any. Advice would be appreciated

Feeling very stupid now doh

Regards

Mike
OldskoolRS

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Oh no massive oil leak

Post by OldskoolRS »

For every person that comes on to say 'you're stupid' I bet they've done something equally silly themselves at some point, I know I have. :)

Having looked in my Bentley's manual you'll need to suspend the engine from above somehow and lower the front subframe. Remove the splash guard, vacuum brake booster hose adaptor and dipstick guide tube mounting. The steering column shaft from the rack, oil level warning switch, control arm rear bush carrier bolts, anti roll bar links, front crossbrace mounting bolts and subframe mounting will all need to be disconnected/removed. That's a very rough version of the 'official' version, but whether there is a way you could manage without so much strip down I don't know.
PCSAM

blank

Post by PCSAM »

your not stupid mate just very unfortunate ..we feel your pain ..... at least its not damaged the engine .then you would be in trouble :head:
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Yepp I wouldn't worry about it, if anything you learn from mistakes, we have all done it, I remember tightening up a wheel nut on an MR2 thinking jumping up and down on the wheel brace was the way to do it only to snap the stub of the hub, I have never done it since. Alot of the metals of cars are fairly soft so its easy too stress them so I always make sure I know the torque figs and use a suitable wrench.

I would have thought the sump would come off fairly easily? without taking the whole car apart? :rtm:

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
Sp1key

Z4 coupe 3.0si

Post by Sp1key »

Thanks chaps

I have been doing a bit of research myself and it don't look like an easy job, need an engine lift to be safe and too much to undo underneath to do this lying on your back!

I'll have to get a price from my local garage for the job - that's after I find a secondhand sump!

Never mind :-(
Badman gee

M roadster S50

Post by Badman gee »

[quote="Sp1key"]decided to give it a good service

you certainly did :(
Last edited by Badman gee on Thu 15 Mar, 2012 05:08, edited 1 time in total.

The 'BEAST' 666
philip43

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by philip43 »

Have a look at this. I think it's a garage job!!

http://tis.spaghetticoder.org/s/view.pl?1/00/32/48
peterandjenny

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by peterandjenny »

Could you get a mobile welder do weld the crack up in situ ? If not you can get it welded and the face of the sump bung thead done at a local machine shop for less than the cost of a replacement.
Scrap yards dont like splitting working engines.
My sump plug was broken by the last garage to do the service they are designed to fail before the sump due to it being a pain to replace
http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... 61#p318861
Sp1key

Z4 coupe 3.0si

Post by Sp1key »

Philip43 - I had found this item myself and yep doing this isn't DIY for me!

I would love to think there was an alternative to removal / replacement like welding, think I'll speak to the local garage they have been good with me before when I had different stuff that needed doing to the MR2.

Small garages are also good at finding workarounds to the "dealer ways of doing repairs"

Thanks for everyone's advice on this, let's see what they say

Rgds

Mike
Confaloniere Racing

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Confaloniere Racing »

Sorry to say that the sump can't be repaired in situ. It must be romoved and cleaned of all contamination before Tig welding can be done and also heating the area has to be done before welding. Perhaps depending on where and what type of crack it is it may be able to be stitched. Hope it goes well for you.
Adrian Confaloniere Racing
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

Please please stop referring to the sump drain plug as a 'bung' - a bung is a tapered wooden plug as used on wine barrels!
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
Sp1key

Z4 coupe 3.0si

Post by Sp1key »

Well I have had a replacement sump fitted and tonight I took advantage of a break in the weather to take a
Run out with the roof down

Car is running great, feel lucky to have grabbed a quick hour in the sun in between the rain

Won't be making the same mistake again that's for sure- finding a replacement M44 sump was like finding hens teeth - not helped by suppliers sending the wrong model

Another life experience lol

Regards

Mike
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

OldskoolRS wrote:For every person that comes on to say 'you're stupid' I bet they've done something equally silly themselves at some point, I know I have. :)
I remember doing an oil change once and after very carefully pouring 5 litres of new oil, without it showing on the dipstick, into a 4.5 litre capacity sump, :puzzle:
I looked down and saw the sump plug and a very oily puddle around my shoes. :head:

and only last week I drained 6 litres into the 5 litre container carefully placed under my sons car :bawl:

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
OldskoolRS

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by OldskoolRS »

gookah wrote:
OldskoolRS wrote:For every person that comes on to say 'you're stupid' I bet they've done something equally silly themselves at some point, I know I have. :)
I remember doing an oil change once and after very carefully pouring 5 litres of new oil, without it showing on the dipstick, into a 4.5 litre capacity sump, :puzzle:
I looked down and saw the sump plug and a very oily puddle around my shoes. :head:

and only last week I drained 6 litres into the 5 litre container carefully placed under my sons car :bawl:
:D Not just me that does silly things with car then...I'm still recovering from Sunday's self harming incident with an angle grinder to my face. :shake:
Sp1key

Z4 coupe 3.0si

Post by Sp1key »

....... Man that sounds painful