Underbonnet paint colour?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
OldskoolRS

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Underbonnet paint colour?

Post by OldskoolRS »

My Topaz Blue Z3 has a very flat dull blue underbonnet paint. It doesn't even look close to the Topaz blue so I don't think it's just that they dont put clearcoat over it. Does anyone know what the colour would be and if I could buy some? I'd like to tidy up some surface rust, treat with Bilt Hamber deox C and then undercoat with their zinc primer. I'd be happy just to use a rattlecan for such a small area, but if I can't get the matt blue paint to finish it, then I'm a bit stuck. I don't want to do it using Topaz as that could then turn into a major job of doing the whole engine bay to match. :)

I do have a compressor and two kinds of spray gun (touch in and full sized Devilbis old high pressure type) if it's possible to have it mixed up from Autopaints or similar.
Gazza

M roadster S54

Re: Underbonnet paint colour?

Post by Gazza »

A quick call to BMW Parts would be best :wink:
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
Frank.A

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Frank.A »

Mine has clear coat under the bonnet,though I have heard of others that have not.Certain parts of the boot interior are in a duck egg blue primer

2000 Topaz 2.8 Individual.

Youth would be more useful if it came later in life!
OldskoolRS

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by OldskoolRS »

Yes, that's how I'd describe my under bonnet as 'duck egg blue'. I'll try BMW parts, but don't hold out much hope: I went in one yesterday just to get some oil for my work's 320d and felt like I was lowering the tone because I'd asked for the parts dept. :(
philip43

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by philip43 »

OldskoolRS wrote:Yes, that's how I'd describe my under bonnet as 'duck egg blue'. I'll try BMW parts, but don't hold out much hope: I went in one yesterday just to get some oil for my work's 320d and felt like I was lowering the tone because I'd asked for the parts dept. :(
I remember the first time I went into my local BMW dealer, and I felt like I had two heads!!! It's funny how peoples attitudes change when they realise you're spending money!! But stick with it, as after one or two more visits, I found that they were also human!! :lol:

As for the under bonnet paint colour, I think you'll find that the paint finish is dull, i.e. not lacquered. I'm given to believe that all Z3's were like this from the factory.
Zcootz

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Zcootz »

I asked my local dealership what the chassis coating was on my car (dull grey)... they couldn't tell me! :(
Frank.A

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Frank.A »

The under bonnet finish on mine is laquered.

As far as the duck egg blue is concerned,I had a couple of boot floor welds replaced just after I bought the car,and the BMW paint shop said they could not match the original duck egg colour but would somewhere near be OK.

OldskoolRS

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by OldskoolRS »

Thing I drove up in my month old 320d in smart casual (ie not overalls) but it was just a feeling more than anything else. It's not my local branch anyway as I travel all over the South I just pop in whichever branch I'm passing. Last time I had a BMW was about 15 years ago and Coopers in Reading were pretty helpful from what I remember and that's the one I'll most likely go to.

EDIT: I'll probably just take it to the local paint factors and see if they can mix something up. They can even put it in a rattle can to save me having to get out my 'proper' stuff and then clean it out afterwards.
tom_sk

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by tom_sk »

Thanks for bringing this topic up - I've been wondering about this for some time. I need to do a bit of touching up under the bonnet and boot of my Z3 and E39. Both are Titan Silver but in the boot and under the bonnet is a dull very light grey matt finish. I'll ask at my local dealer.
I wonder why some cars have exterior (lacquered) finish and others don't? This matt finish is a b****r to keep clean under the bonnet!
2001 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver/Blue Leather (left home :bawl: ) and his big brother 2002 e39 2.2 Titan Silver/Grey Leather (leaving soon :bawl: :bawl: )
Badman gee

M roadster S50

Post by Badman gee »

its the same at all dealers.

staff arnt normally interested unless your spending a lot of money.

they can make you feel uncomfortable.

The 'BEAST' 666
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Badman gee wrote:its the same at all dealers.

Not true at all. Mine is as happy to supply a 10p clip as to service the car. Please don't tar them all with the same brush.

Cheers R.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Zmeagol

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Post by Zmeagol »

Having toured the paint shop at the Spartanburg factory several times I can tell you for sure that the underbonnet paint isn't different a different colour, it just lacks clearcoat. Yes, the difference is dramatic, especially with Topaz Blue and the metallic Silvers.

My zroadster colour pages: http://www.zroadster.net/tim/colors/index.html
Frank.A

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Frank.A »

Badman gee wrote:its the same at all dealers.

I have never had a problem at Cooper BMW of York even though you collect your ordered parts from a 'customer service representative' in the main showroom.You must be unlucky with your dealership.

Zed Carer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Zed Carer »

When I had my boot welds repaired by BMW the bodyshop manager had a moan that it took 4 attempts to mix a match for the boot interior - apparently the original paint was factory only and was not supplied to dealers. They started by trying the original paint (Titanium) without the laquer but it was totally different. Fortunately they mixed up more than they needed so I got the spare to touch up a few places in the engine bay. :D
Hers: Z4 2.0i Sp --------------------- His: Z3 2.8
Deano1712
Z Register organiser

M roadster S50

Post by Deano1712 »

The matt grey paint is code BMW 8008M by Airo. Its certainly not base coat. Its a flat 2-pack with a matting agent added.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
Z3M with a few mods...and a little bit more power
tom_sk

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by tom_sk »

Deano1712 wrote:The matt grey paint is code BMW 8008M by Airo
Deano, thanks very much for this :D
I will see if I can order some from my nearest dealer.
2001 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver/Blue Leather (left home :bawl: ) and his big brother 2002 e39 2.2 Titan Silver/Grey Leather (leaving soon :bawl: :bawl: )
Zmeagol

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Post by Zmeagol »

Interesting that it's possible to match the factory water-based base coat with other paints...

Link to Deano's previous pics: http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... 14#p263514