faded paint

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
dpmotorcycles

Z3 roadster 1.9

faded paint

Post by dpmotorcycles »

Evening folks,
over the past year my red paint work has faded (a lot), i have ran a mop over it with G3 and it wont come back, also tried colour magic but no good, has any one any other suggestion?

cheers Paul
OldskoolRS

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: faded paint

Post by OldskoolRS »

Is it clearcoat: Does the mop end up pink or just grey? If it's clearcoat then the colour fading can't be polished out, so you'll have to respray if it's that bothersome. If it's more just a general dullness then work your way up through finer polishes (G3 is quite harsh IIRC), such as G10 and/or Menz polishes to regain the shine.

I wonder if it's been resprayed before as I haven't noticed other red Z3s looking pink?
Zmeagol

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Post by Zmeagol »

Red suffers much more than other colours from paint oxidation. In the old days the way to prevent this was to wax the car every time it was washed. And eventually remove the top layer of paint with something like t-cut.

But the Z3 paint should be protected by clear coat, so this shouldn't happen. Maybe it's a case of clear coat failure?
dpmotorcycles

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by dpmotorcycles »

hi, thanks for the replies, went to see a body shop today and it would seem i have one wing with clear on it so i guess its had a little work in the past (got to be expected at this age i guess) and the rest of the paint where its dull the paint is going thin, so i think it will be a blow over :(
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

Red USED to suffer frm oxidation in the days before acrylic paint - since the advent of clearcoat laquer in the late 'eighties it is a thing of the past, at least in my experience - BMW and VW red cars not having any problems.

I would suspect a respray - but if so, why not in the original paint?

My 1998 Z3 is in Hellrot, which remains glossy and almost fluorescent.
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!