Code readers?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Devon Z
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.0

Code readers?

Post by Devon Z »

I've been looking and seems to be quite a few differant ones around, looking at the simple handheld type to check and clear engine codes, what are people using and where did you get them from and how much :?:
Wow just noticed this is my 500 post since 2003 :!: :lol:
99 2.0 Topaz Individual
OldskoolRS

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Code readers?

Post by OldskoolRS »

I'm looking at getting one of these cable/USB setups to use with a laptop:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... TQ:GB:1123

I messaged the seller who confirmed it will work with the Z3. In my case it is helpful that it will also work with my OH's Mini and her daughter's later model Mini, so 3 for the price of 1.

That's my 100th post since I joined about 6 weeks ago...I spend too much time on the web I think, must go out for a drive instead, I'm sure I can think of an excuse. :)
simonbud100

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by simonbud100 »

I bought a cheap hand held one off ebay, not had cause to use it yet though. It comes with a comprehensive instruction / code booklet.

My feeling is that it is just a display for the code stored in the ECU so does not need to be all singing and dancing!
Heath

Z3 roadster 2.0

Code readers?

Post by Heath »

I bought a code reader off ebay £39.99 it has quite a big screen & gives you a brief description as well as the code. It reads all cars petrol & diesel from 2001 & earlier cars which are OBD2 compliant. Mine is a 2000 & it works ok. Comes in a little protective zip case so easy & safe to carry around.
Here is the ebay pic

Heath on Tapatalk
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
OldskoolRS

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by OldskoolRS »

I received my cable today I ordered from http://bmwcables.moonfruit.com/

I had a few issues getting the INPA software installed as the only laptop I have that can had software installed (my work's one is restricted bah :D ) is an old Windows 2000 that doesn't have a DVD drive only a CD ROM drive. I managed to create some CDs with the supplied ISOs and got it working in the end, enough to be able to read and reset error codes on my engine, ABS and service lights.

In a way I kind of pleased to have found an error code for the exhaust camshaft sensor, which I have reset for now, to see how quickly it returns: If it takes a few drives then maybe it just needs a clean, otherwise I'll be replacing it with an OEM one as others have done. It might explain the slight lethargy lower down the rev range that I put down to me being used to driving a diesel 320d during the week. There were two other errors, but they were only '1' occasion (stop light switch and throttle position switch) compared to the camshalf sensor which was 87 occasions, so I reset them for now to see if they occur again.

I'm going to have a go at installing the other included software which is DIS/SSS. It may be beyond my old Windows 2000 laptop, so I might have to find another laptop to try it on, but I'll report back once I have. I think I need this DIS/SSS software to try to sort out my eldest's R53 Mini as only the R50 appears on the INPA (that I've seen so far anyway). Hoping to resolve an airbag warning light issue which the Mini dealer wanted nearly £400 to replace the airbag, when it's quite likely to be a connector issue from what I've researched.

For £35 it looks like a worthwhile investment, even if I spent a wet afternoon struggling to install the software (it worked much easier on my Windows XP desktop machine, but it wouldn't be easy to get that outside to the car. :D ).

Hope this helps. :)
Heath

Z3 roadster 2.0

Code readers?

Post by Heath »

If its showing exhaust camshaft sensor I would get it changed, you will notice the difference straight away the car will be much more responsive especially at lower revs, I think you will be suprised at the difference. It made my 2.0 a different car to drive so on a 3.0 you will be able to feel how it really does go ;)

Heath on Tapatalk
OldskoolRS

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by OldskoolRS »

Thanks Heath, I'll be looking for a source for a good sensor now I reckon. I just ordered my polybushes for the front wishbone rear bush, so hopefully sort out a few issues with the car to get it really running spot on. :)
Mint

blank

Post by Mint »

OldskoolRS - I'm interested in the cable you have bought - I've followed your link but it takes me to a page with a few cables. Which one did you buy? I think it was the 'Ignition Switching, K Line USB to OBD Data Cable (Up to 2007)', but did you use the 16 to 20 pin adapter cable? I have a 2002, 2.2 M54 with warning lights on. Thanks Dave.
OldskoolRS

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by OldskoolRS »

I bought the £34.99 K line ignition switching one that includes the 16 to 20 pin adaptor for the underbonnet plug. I used it again tonight, I removed the outlet cmashaft sensor and cleaned it before refitting. I'd reset the errors yesterday, so took it for a 30 minute drive. By the time I was home, there were 3 more errors recorded for the sensor, so I'm going to pick the more expensive OE version up from GSF tomorrow to try that.

Shame Stafford isn't nearer to Wokingham...
Mint

blank

Post by Mint »

Yes, it would cost as much in petrol to get to you (and back :) ). Did you need to use the adapter cable on your Zed?
Mine has the connector under the steering wheel so I don't know whether I need the adapter :?
PS hope you get the camshaft sensor problem sorted soon.
OldskoolRS

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by OldskoolRS »

I used the adaptor as I haven't noticed if there is a connector inside the car. :oops: I'll look later, the lead looks a little like a 'SCART' plug for video/AV use if you have a socket like that inside your car, then you're good to go.

I just fitted the sensor (well I can't do much else as I can't go to work looking like the Elephant man with my grinder injury :head: ). I've cleared the errors and also the engine adaptations, which seem to be recommended on some other sites where I've been reading up on the INPA. Going to have a run out this afternoon of around 60 miles so I'll check later if the error codes re appear, but I hope not. I'll also post back if the car drives any differently.
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

I think, and I could be wrong, that you can do more with the round socket under the bonnet than you can with the ODBII connector in the car (if you have one).
Heath

Z3 roadster 2.0

Code readers?

Post by Heath »

Yes bladerunner you are correct, the socket inside the car only reads engine codes. For airbag & abs you need to use the big round one under the bonnet

Heath on Tapatalk
OldskoolRS

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by OldskoolRS »

I'll have a look later when I recheck the error codes and see if the internal socket does anything differently. So far I've not had success with the engine running (get various errors on the software, which I have to keep clicking 'yes' to), though it reads fine with the engine stopped and ignition on.
OldskoolRS

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by OldskoolRS »

Just back from a run and the new sensor seems to have made a difference: :) No more error codes, even after a 50 mile drive and more importantly is that the car just feels more torquey (if that's a word :) ). Previously I'd checked the accelaration in 5th gear from 50mph and it was very sluggish, almost labouring. Now it pulls steadily from 40mph let alone 50mph. I did reset the 'adaption values' but I'd done this last night after cleaning the old sensor and it didn't make much difference compared to this afternoon.

I have got the OBCII socket under my dash. I seem to be able to do everything the underbonnet socket allows and I even managed to get it showing some real time values with the engine running that I couldn't with the other connector. [Note that it could be due to the very old basic laptop I'm using, a Windows 2000 600Mhz 256mB RAM machine]. So if money is really tight you could save by not buying the extra 16 to 20 pin adaptor I suppose.

EDIT: I didn't try the airbag or ABS so no doubt Heath is correct on that part. :oops:

For the money I spent on the cable and software, it has already paid for itself considering that I may have been tempted to replace both sensors to see if it made any difference to running (plus I'd still have the error codes in there should a garage check during work). Next I'm hoping to sort out our eldest's Mini Cooper airbag light...
Last edited by OldskoolRS on Tue 01 May, 2012 19:01, edited 1 time in total.
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

Heath wrote:I bought a code reader off ebay £39.99 it has quite a big screen & gives you a brief description as well as the code. It reads all cars petrol & diesel from 2001 & earlier cars which are OBD2 compliant. Mine is a 2000 & it works ok. Comes in a little protective zip case so easy & safe to carry around.
Here is the ebay pic

Heath on Tapatalk

Have you used it yet ?
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
Heath

Z3 roadster 2.0

Code readers?

Post by Heath »

Gazza wrote:
Heath wrote:I bought a code reader off ebay £39.99 it has quite a big screen & gives you a brief description as well as the code. It reads all cars petrol & diesel from 2001 & earlier cars which are OBD2 compliant. Mine is a 2000 & it works ok. Comes in a little protective zip case so easy & safe to carry around.
Here is the ebay pic

Heath on Tapatalk

Have you used it yet ?
yes I have used it a few times on my zed searching for codes & clearing codes, I have also used it on my mates subaru & it works well on both
I must add though it is only for reading engine codes not airbag or abs

Heath on Tapatalk
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

Ok thanks :wink:
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
Mint

blank

Post by Mint »

Ok, thanks BladeRunner919 and Heath for your advice - I'll get the version with the adapter cable :)
OldskoolRS

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by OldskoolRS »

Does anyone have the email address for Moonfruitcables? I wanted to ask them for help trying to get the INPA working for my daughter's R56 Mini (airbag reset issue). If I click on the 'email me' button on the website, my stupid work laptop wants to open Lotus Notes and then (I'm guessing) due to security it stops me from being able to send an email, so the email screen disappears before I can see his address. I only wanted to cut and paste the email address into my personal one. :head:

Took the Z3 down to Goodowood this morning (saw a couple of other Z3s queing up to get in too). It went really well with the new sensor and a fresh tank of V-Power in place of the 95RON stuff I had been using. My passenger has a TVR Chimaera 4.0 and he was impressed with the accelaration (or maybe just nervous...I'm not entirely sure. :D)
Mint

blank

Post by Mint »

OldschoolRS try this - info@bmwcables.co.uk

I clicked on the 'Email Us' link to get it. Cheers Dave
OldskoolRS

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by OldskoolRS »

Thanks very much Dave. I think it might be a question of needing different cable (D-can?) for the later Mini...I'd hoped that as it's a 56 plate it would come under the 2007 limit for the cable I have. I'll email just to get confirmation though, thanks again.