Rear wheels problem

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
chris1984_99_99

Z3 roadster 2.0

Rear wheels problem

Post by chris1984_99_99 »

I seem to be having a bit of bother with the rear wheels on the car. I just passed MOT but had to put on new tyres as the rear ones were completely worn away on the inside. I havnt done a lot of miles on them, probably 8000 or less. They were completely bald on the inside and the guys I got the tyres off couldnt believe how bad they are and so soon.

It sounds like the cambre is well off on the rear wheels, but anyone ive been to has either said its a quick fix by readjusting them (which I dont think can be done on the Z3's?) and other mechanics have said its possible shes had an accident or hit in the past and its resulted in some damage to the rear.

Has anyone else ever had this problem? OK I know its a rear wheel drive car and they can be harder on the tyres than usual, but this cant be right, plus it means the car is fighting itself and drinking more fuel in the process.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks!
Chris

This sideways motion is feeling all too familiar...
Heath

Z3 roadster 2.0

Rear wheels problem

Post by Heath »

I think this is quite a common thing on the Z3 as the rear wheels do have a lot of camber & whilst driving down the road as you rear suspension compresses on the bumps the camber changes even more so I would imagine as the wheel goes up & down it actually scrubs away at the inside of the tyre. I dont think you have a problem with your car I think they are pretty much all the same. Maybe a different make tyre to what you have would last longer

Heath on Tapatalk
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Rear wheels problem

Post by Southernboy »

Just a thought.....I have nebver had your problem, and frankly it sounds as if iether your car has been dinged in the past, or it's a suspension issue. You could look at a website which caters for the BMW E30.
They have a kit for the E30 which allows radical adjustment to the toe and camber. It's really for the guys who race these cars. They like to have negative camber ie. the wheels when viewed from the rear appear to be inclined inwards at the top of the wheel. It keeps the car stable in fast cornering......
That said, they may also be able to assist you with a kit for your Zed. since a lot of the E30 was incorporated into the Zed..
They are at: www.E30tech.com
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
g8jka
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Rear wheels problem

Post by g8jka »

Yes it is common on Z3's, they suffer from negative camber as standard and that is probably your reason for wearing the inners of your tyres.

Mine has been lowered and has bigger and wider wheels on and the rear tyres are completely bald on the inners but everywhere else has quite a bit of tread left. There is literally only about an inch on wear but on this inch they are bald. It is simply due to the negative camber. I don't believe either that Zeds can have the rear camber altered but if they could they would want more positive camber if anything so the tyres sit flatter.
2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Titanium Silver Roadster with too many mods to list :-D :drive
Click For 2.0 Progress Journal
Click For 2.8 Progress Journal
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

They must be adjustable...I have had my Zed for 14 years, and I have never had that issue to the degree you describe. I would certainly see a decent mechanic or your local tyre supplier to have it checked out.
"Normal is overrated"

Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

I've just seen on ebay (US) a kit to correct the negative camber on a Z3....There are currentlt 2 for sale ($195.00 and one at $220)
If you search "auto parts, and enter E30 Rear Camber Kit...you'll get to it. Click on the more expensive one, and read the write up about what it is designed to do. It says it's specifically for countering the negative camber on BMW rear wheels to prevent the wear on the inside of the tyres.
Also, if you click on the cheaper offer...(it's the same make but an open box) you will read that the seller bought it for his 1999 Z3 but never did the installation.
Might be your answer to a problem. Also, you might find a similar product in the UK ONCE YOU KNOW WHAT YOUR LOOKING FOR >>>>>>>>>>.
"Normal is overrated"

TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

You only have to look at the rear of mine too see the rear wheels splayed out, just like a Triumph Spitfire :P

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

I bow to your possible better knowledge regarding the non-adjustable design.....However, it seems the kit required for correcting this does not require welding etc...check out my above post re; eBay....
If the suspension has been lowered, then you correctly say it will increase the negative camber...and there-in may be the origins of the problem...check out the suspension!!!!!!
"Normal is overrated"

Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Hey Tim....you do realise we're discussing a car here.......... :D
"Normal is overrated"

Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Once again............I will bow to your better knowledge....
Did you have a look at the kit on eBay?? And it's a welding requirement??
"Normal is overrated"

Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Old age is a bitch !!! I need my readers............and also grovel over the page!!!!!!!! :oops:
"Normal is overrated"

Heath

Z3 roadster 2.0

Rear wheels problem

Post by Heath »

Southernboy wrote: It says it's specifically for countering the negative camber on BMW rear wheels to prevent the wear on the inside of the tyres.
I think this part answers the question of the first post ;)

Heath on Tapatalk
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Yes, I suppose it does....but we can have some fun arriving there, which is what makes this forum a good place to be......
"Normal is overrated"

g8jka
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Rear wheels problem

Post by g8jka »

I need 2 new tyres now and plan to change them between the wheels after several months so when they start to wear on the inside I will swap them over so the wear is on the outside and I can get a bit more life out of them then.

But I don't know whether to buy 2 falkens again at around 300 or to just buy 2 lower range ones for around 200 so if they do wear as quickly again I will have saved a bit of money for another set. Although if I do swap the tyres over like I intend I will get double the wear out of them than what I got this time. But it won't feel as bad spending 200 to sacrifice a little performance and shredding them as apposed to spending 300 and shredding them only to have to change them as often. But then I may get tram lining issues again with not matching the rears with the fronts.
2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Titanium Silver Roadster with too many mods to list :-D :drive
Click For 2.0 Progress Journal
Click For 2.8 Progress Journal