Issues starting 2002 2.2 Z3

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
whiteminks

M roadster S54

Issues starting 2002 2.2 Z3

Post by whiteminks »

Hi All,

Just a quickie.I had trouble starting Toadster last week and after a few attempts of trying to turn it over in the normal way, a go with the electronic jump starter and charging the battery up he still obstinately refused to start. :head: I didn't think it could be the battery as the lights and everything else worked without problem and in the past when I have been heading for a flat battery the alarm has gone off. Anyway I took the battery to be checked out which was fine so today I called the nice RAC man. :D to come and take a look. Not being of the mechanical kind I had assumed it was not possible to flood the engine with fuel as the zed has an automatic choke. The nice RAC man said that if you only move the car small distances on the drive ( which I had) there isn't enough time for the fuel to burn off and when you try to restart it again it won't!!! I hadn't left it to chug on the key as I was scared I'd knacker something but he did precisely that ( once he knew what it was) and hey presto vorrrrrrrrrrrroooooom. He told me if it happens again to do as he did and wait for the temperature gauge to rise before switching it off. Then I could be sure the fuel had burn't off. Sounds simples but I bet I am not the only one on here who has been caught out like that. :oops: :oops: :oops:
big cheesy wrote:'I nearly cacked my trolleys till I quickly tuned in'. Yorkshire Cruise 2008.
hornel Z3M

blank

Re: Issues starting 2002 2.2 Z3

Post by hornel Z3M »

Hi Whiteminks. I assume you have 2 zeds as your signature shows an M badge. so i was going to was going to say my M is usually started and put out of the garage and re-started with no problems as you suggest, i can only assume that your z is running too rich, which causes the problem you have. :wink:
whiteminks

M roadster S54

Post by whiteminks »

Hi Hornel,

Thanks for the reply. :wink:
Yes my 2.2 is my first zed which I have had for 6 years and I have had my ///M nearly 5 years.
I have only has issues starting before with battery problems, so as you suggest, I'll keep an eye out to see if the current problem recurrs.
I tend to always drive my ///M a fair distance after starting it as I am always worried about the short runs/ oil not getting up to temperature so it is a bit difficult to compare.

Cheers

P
big cheesy wrote:'I nearly cacked my trolleys till I quickly tuned in'. Yorkshire Cruise 2008.
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

It's not an uncommon problem, and a good answer is to turn the engine over on full throttle, so drawing in lots of air to remove the fuel. Remember that at low speeds the air flow sesnor does not do much, and fuel delivery os biased more towards coolant temperature until the engine is running at more than 900 rpm.

Short runs on a cold engine 'just to see' are the worst thing you can do to any engine - either leave it be, or use it properly.
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
whiteminks

M roadster S54

Post by whiteminks »

Thanks Mike :wink:

I might take him to my friendly neighbourhood garage and get him plugged in for diagnostics just in case I have any fault codes showing. Would hate to think my sensors were on the blink! :shock:
hornel Z3M

blank

Post by hornel Z3M »

Ahhh its only the 2.2, as long as the M`s ok :wink:
whiteminks

M roadster S54

Post by whiteminks »

hornel Z3M wrote:Ahhh its only the 2.2, as long as the M`s ok :wink:
Oiiiiiiiiii Toadster has feelings too! :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :D
hornel Z3M

blank

Post by hornel Z3M »

Only kiding. Are you bringing the 2 Zeds to silverstone, cos you may need the m to tow toadster back :colourful:
whiteminks

M roadster S54

Post by whiteminks »

I might bring the 4x4 to tow me you,Sharky Toadster and many, many more back........... that's if we can get any petrol :D :lol: :lol: :lol:
Vic-Z3

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Vic-Z3 »

My 2.2 is just the same. Dont like being moved of the driveway, stopped then restarted. Seems to run on 4/5 cylinders for a few secs before clearing.
----------------- BMW Z3 Das Beste Auto -----------------

Mein altes Auto riecht nach Nudeln, hat dieses Auto eine Wurst Geruch.