Anyone had a replacement roof fitted?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
bournii

Z3 roadster 2.0

New soft top fitted?

Post by bournii »

hey guy's has anyone had a new top fitted on their zed (facelift model) i was wondering where you got it done or if you did it yourself. Im looking at getting a new top fitted and my hydrolic looked at as it's not working i checked the fuse and wires at the motor they looked ok not sure what could be wrong? any way thanks for your time
VinceR

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by VinceR »

I've had one fitted on a 2001 2.2 .. it was done by Car Hood Warehouse

Cost a little under £400 fitted. They've done several cars of mine in the past (MX-5, MG-F, MG-TF, Alfa Spider) & have always been happy.

MOD EDIT: Link fixed - HTML no longer works
Vic-Z3

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Vic-Z3 »

£400 that seems a fair price to me ..........
----------------- BMW Z3 Das Beste Auto -----------------

Mein altes Auto riecht nach Nudeln, hat dieses Auto eine Wurst Geruch.
bournii

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by bournii »

sounds good to me, torn on getting a new window and just cleaning and protectiong the roof or just to buy a new one.

thanks
wonderloaf

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by wonderloaf »

bournii wrote:sounds good to me, torn on getting a new window and just cleaning and protectiong the roof or just to buy a new one.

thanks
I was in the same position a year or so ago ... spend £200-300 on replacing the rear window + the hassle of renovating the roof, or spend an extra £100 or so and get a completely new roof. Went down the new roof avenue (got it from soft-tops at croydon) and so glad I did, the new roof really lifts the car and made it feel like new, to me anyway.

18 months and an autumn and winter later the roof isn't looking quite as new and shiny as it did, but with a bit of hood cleaner and proofer this spring it'll be back to looking almost new :)

The only downside to mine is that the rear window is sewn in, so if you get a split is's a bit :( , although the chap at soft-tops said it would be £200 to replace, so not too bad.

I'd vote for a new top :thumb:
2001 Titan Silver 2.2 Sport
offyourmarks

M roadster S52

Anyone had a replacement roof fitted?

Post by offyourmarks »

If so who did you use and how close to the original hood are the aftermarket items?

Are they an exact replica or do they differ - I'm aware that all aftermarket non OE roofs come with the rear window stitched in as opposed to being zippable?

Interested in things like fit, material quality, dimensions of rear screen — i.e. is in the same size and shape as OE? Also do they wear well?

Many thanks in advance for the feedback :)
Badman gee

M roadster S50

Re: Anyone had a replacement roof fitted?

Post by Badman gee »

id like to hear too thanks.

i might be tempted to buy one if the price and quality is right. :D

The 'BEAST' 666
mrh1

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by mrh1 »

Just had a new hood fitted my Jack Smith trimmers in Swansea, Couldn't be more pleased, they make their own hoods and rear window,,, and best off all £250 fitted.
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

mrh1 wrote:Just had a new hood fitted my Jack Smith trimmers in Swansea, Couldn't be more pleased, they make their own hoods and rear window,,, and best off all £250 fitted.
Bl**dy hell, £250?
It's not worth buying a window at that rate, may as well get a new hood and window. You could even change the roof every couple of years and not bother with cleaning and proofing costs

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
swamper

M roadster S50

Post by swamper »

mrh1 wrote:Just had a new hood fitted my Jack Smith trimmers in Swansea, Couldn't be more pleased, they make their own hoods and rear window,,, and best off all £250 fitted.
link and pictures please... :D
the badness makes me do it...!

Badman gee

M roadster S50

Post by Badman gee »

am i reading this right?

what is the quality like?

yes photos please, before i book my hols in swansea :lol:

The 'BEAST' 666
Badman gee

M roadster S50

Post by Badman gee »

Ive had a look at his reviews, they are excellent.

:D

The 'BEAST' 666
mrh1

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by mrh1 »

Will try and get some pic's sorted, he uses good quality mohair, I really cannot fault it.
They will do any colour you want for the hood or stitching as well, they also do seats as well.
You can find more details on MX5 forums, even have people come down from Scotland for MX5 hoods.
If your after a new window think he's about £80 fitted...
wonderloaf

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by wonderloaf »

I thought mine was a bargain at £400 fitted, how does he make a profit at £250?
Badman gee

M roadster S50

Post by Badman gee »

where was your one from wonderloaf?

any pics?

Many thanks

mark

The 'BEAST' 666
wonderloaf

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by wonderloaf »

Soft-tops in Croydon :
http://www.soft-tops.co.uk
Although I paid £400 for mine about 18 months ago heard he may have increased his prices since.
Have put some piccies up on Photobucket if you're interested:
http://s1142.photobucket.com/albums/n62 ... z3%20hood/
VinceR

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by VinceR »

Had mine done about a year ago by Car Hood Warehouse; cost around £450. Have used them previously for previous cars (MX-5, MGF, MGTF, Alfa Spider) & always been happy with the fit/finish. Mind you, may have to take a trip to Swansea next time!
offyourmarks

M roadster S52

Post by offyourmarks »

Thanks for the replies chaps

Wonderloaf - thanks for posting up the pics. Very useful

Just a quickie — on a couple of the pics there appears to be dark lines across the top of the roof where the frame is underneath. Is that stitching or something?

Thanks
wonderloaf

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by wonderloaf »

Yes, on most hoods there are strips of material glued across the width which are then attached around the metal frame inside. Sometimes on the motorway you might see convertibles with the hood kind of 'ballooning' out because the material isn't attached to the frame. The chap at Soft-Tops doesn't just rely on the glue to hold the strips onto the hood material, he also sews them in place, hence the stitch lines. Does this makes sense :?:
mrh1

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by mrh1 »

as promised here are some pics..

BimBeema

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by BimBeema »

To the guys who've had a replacement roof (wonderloaf, VinceR and mrh1);

Did the prices you paid (£400, £450 & £250 respectively) for the roofs include the rear plastic window or was it just the roof material?
Reason I ask is my rear window split 2/3 weeks ago & I have yet to replace it (I spoke to both the chaps up in Coventry & Croydon) & got quoted £125 & £145 but I'm thinking if with £400/450 or 250 I can get both the roof and rearwindow replaced then it may be a better solution long term.

Thanks for any help/information.
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

I had a new roof fitted by Car Hood Warehouse of Chessington for £385 last year - excellent job, and it looks just like the original aexcept for a fixed window, but if you look after it the window will outlast the canvas!

They take half a day, but I left the car overnight and had a day in London (Chessington North station is a five minute walk away) and stayed in the Chessington Premiere Inn, a ten-minute walk away.

I also managed to lose my wallet on the train, but cancelled the cards before the train reached the next stop. I even goit it back a month later, wihtout cards, but WITH £40 still inside!
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
mrh1

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by mrh1 »

BimBeema wrote:To the guys who've had a replacement roof (wonderloaf, VinceR and mrh1);

Did the prices you paid (£400, £450 & £250 respectively) for the roofs include the rear plastic window or was it just the roof material?
Reason I ask is my rear window split 2/3 weeks ago & I have yet to replace it (I spoke to both the chaps up in Coventry & Croydon) & got quoted £125 & £145 but I'm thinking if with £400/450 or 250 I can get both the roof and rearwindow replaced then it may be a better solution long term.

Thanks for any help/information.
The £250 included the rear window, think he charges about £80 to remove and fit a new window.
wonderloaf

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by wonderloaf »

Mine included the rear window sewn in, made from Ultralite which I believe is more scratch resistant than normal plastic. Piccy here:
http://s1142.photobucket.com/albums/n62 ... 100038.jpg
Badman gee

M roadster S50

Post by Badman gee »

i had a quote today for a new roof, oem equivalent 665 fitted.

at hubbard upholstry loughborough.

anybody had one fitted by this company?

i know people have had windows replaced by them.

feedback on the company would be good please.

mark

The 'BEAST' 666
Ian_C

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Ian_C »

Mike Fishwick wrote:I had a new roof fitted by Car Hood Warehouse of Chessington for £385 last year - excellent job, and it looks just like the original aexcept for a fixed window, but if you look after it the window will outlast the canvas!
Do you have any pictures of the finished job Mike? My roof is becoming increasingly worn so considering a replacement.
Current...1998 ///M Coupe
Previously...1997 Z3 2.8
Badman gee

M roadster S50

Post by Badman gee »

myredzed wrote:
Mike Fishwick wrote:I had a new roof fitted by Car Hood Warehouse of Chessington for £385 last year - excellent job, and it looks just like the original aexcept for a fixed window, but if you look after it the window will outlast the canvas!
Do you have any pictures of the finished job Mike? My roof is becoming increasingly worn so considering a replacement.
yes please mike, i need one too.

got to look our best for zeddy fest

The 'BEAST' 666
Badman gee

M roadster S50

Post by Badman gee »

myredzed wrote:
i had a quote 2 weeks ago from car hood warehouse.

590 fitted, so they have gone up.

:evil:

The 'BEAST' 666
Althulas

M roadster S50

Post by Althulas »

£250 fitted for roof what a bargin, although my roof is sound from leaks it is a bit thread bare on some of the tension points and would be nice to change in the near future. For such a low price the roof looks a top job, I wonder if he can retro fit a headliner too.
If you like gaming with mature minded players visit our retirement home http://www.oap-clan.co.uk/
ImageImage
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

No point in taking any pictures of the new roof - it just looks like what you would see on a new Z3! Everything - inside and out - looks like the original, and you have to look closely to realise that the rear window does not have a zip around it. Apart from that it may as well be the original.
Badman gee

M roadster S50

Post by Badman gee »

Mike Fishwick wrote:No point in taking any pictures of the new roof - it just looks like what you would see on a new Z3! Everything - inside and out - looks like the original, and you have to look closely to realise that the rear window does not have a zip around it. Apart from that it may as well be the original.
thanks for the feedback mike.

The 'BEAST' 666
hornel Z3M

blank

Post by hornel Z3M »

Come on Mike, the difference in quality between the £250 roof and the £400 wonderloaf had fitted is vast, so which is yours :wink:
wonderloaf

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by wonderloaf »

hornel Z3M wrote:Come on Mike, the difference in quality between the £250 roof and the £400 wonderloaf had fitted is vast, so which is yours :wink:
:shock: :shock: :shock:
hornel Z3M

blank

Post by hornel Z3M »

I didnt mean it as it looks, i wondered if Mikes was as a quality finish as yours :wink:
Badman gee

M roadster S50

Post by Badman gee »

hornel Z3M wrote:I didnt mean it as it looks, i wondered if Mikes was as a quality finish as yours :wink:
like the finish on yours mothers pride :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

The 'BEAST' 666
Badman gee

M roadster S50

Post by Badman gee »

wonderloaf wrote:
hornel Z3M wrote:Come on Mike, the difference in quality between the £250 roof and the £400 wonderloaf had fitted is vast, so which is yours :wink:
:shock: :shock: :shock:
yours looks great mr hovis/mothers pride, doughboy, wheatman etc.
and its blue, like the one i need.

8-)

The 'BEAST' 666
wonderloaf

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by wonderloaf »

Phew, thought I'd made a mistake there, glad you like it :D

By the way, I don't knead any more bread jokes, please stop now it's the yeast you could do :clown:
BimBeema

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by BimBeema »

Thanks for the feedback - that really does throw the cat amongst the pigeons! Do I go for just a new window at £125-145 and keep the same roof or pay the extra £200-250 and get a brand new roof? Decisions, decisions!
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

Going to be a new roof for me and a wheel refurb and new tyres :D
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
Badman gee

M roadster S50

Post by Badman gee »

Gazza wrote:Going to be a new roof for me and a wheel refurb and new tyres :D
where from gazza (the roof)

The 'BEAST' 666
wonderloaf

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by wonderloaf »

BimBeema wrote:Thanks for the feedback - that really does throw the cat amongst the pigeons! Do I go for just a new window at £125-145 and keep the same roof or pay the extra £200-250 and get a brand new roof? Decisions, decisions!
I was in the same position as you 18 months ago and decide on a new roof, glad I did as it made the car look much fresher and tidier. If you can afford it I'd say pay the extra for a new roof.
Badman gee

M roadster S50

Post by Badman gee »

wonderloaf wrote:
BimBeema wrote:Thanks for the feedback - that really does throw the cat amongst the pigeons! Do I go for just a new window at £125-145 and keep the same roof or pay the extra £200-250 and get a brand new roof? Decisions, decisions!
I was in the same position as you 18 months ago and decide on a new roof, glad I did as it made the car look much fresher and tidier. If you can afford it I'd say pay the extra for a new roof.
totally agree, I'm going to

The 'BEAST' 666
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

My roof - as I commented - looks just like the original, inside and out. I'm pleased with it, and would reccommend Car Hood Warehouse to anyone. Maybe in another twelve years I'll think It is not quite as good as the original, but I doubt it!

It is made of the same material - which we call Mohair, and the Germans call something-or-other canvas, with a waterproof layer and a pretty inside lining. It looks the same as usual, folds in the same manner,and has the usual side 'pockets' behind the windows.

BUT - I made a mistake - it cost (including VAT and fitting) £590. Does this make it better?

Here it is last year in Switzerland - as I stated, it looks just like any other Z3 roof!

Red Zed on the Neufenen Pass, summer 2011.
hornel Z3M

blank

Post by hornel Z3M »

That looks first class Mike and would not have expected anything less from you. that is a good price to after seeing some of the prices quoted. :wink:
Phil

M roadster S54

Post by Phil »

At what price point is a new hood too cheap? ie potentially poor quality.

Suppose I knew a guy who could do a complete new hood for £150 and it looked ok. Would you buy it?

Or perhaps £100 -

Just interested in feedback.
Sapphire black/Imola red and black interior/ red roof/ S54 - the only RHD one made.

"The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire."
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

Badman gee wrote:
Gazza wrote:Going to be a new roof for me and a wheel refurb and new tyres :D
where from gazza (the roof)
I have a local firm in Romford, CarHoods Direct priced at £295 + VAT, I would imagine that is supply only.

EDIT------ Fitted is £595 :shock: :shock:
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

ImageImage
Badman gee

M roadster S50

Post by Badman gee »

Phil wrote:At what price point is a new hood too cheap? ie potentially poor quality.

Suppose I knew a guy who could do a complete new hood for £150 and it looked ok. Would you buy it?

Or perhaps £100 -

Just interested in feedback.
yours fitted yet phil?

The 'BEAST' 666
Badman gee

M roadster S50

Post by Badman gee »

had a quote today for a new soft top fitted by a main dealer.

£1940 fitted, yes £1940'

The 'BEAST' 666
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

Badman gee wrote:had a quote today for a new soft top fitted by a main dealer.

£1940 fitted, yes £1940'

Inclusive or plus VAT ? :lol:
Gazza

ImageImage
Badman gee

M roadster S50

Post by Badman gee »

Gazza wrote:
Badman gee wrote:had a quote today for a new soft top fitted by a main dealer.

£1940 fitted, yes £1940'

Inclusive or plus VAT ? :lol:
inclusive.

imagine the vat as well.

not paying that, its overpriced.

The 'BEAST' 666