Iridium plugs - any good ??

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
paulb1976

Iridium plugs - any good ??

Post by paulb1976 »

Has anyone actually fitted iridium plugs on their zed and noticed any difference ? Just thinking of changing mine to iridiums as part of the next service but as it's about £45 for the six pot it aint cheap.

Fitted some to a cooper s a while ago and it seemed to help that although in fariness the old ones where shot at.

Cheers
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Iridium plugs - any good ??

Post by Del »

I’ve experimented with different plugs in the past and never really noticed any difference. In my opinion save some money and buy the normal/standard ones for your car from a good manufacturer like NGK/Bosch. I believe a lot of the posh plugs around are really designed for longevity rather than a noticeable performance improvement
msassoon

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by msassoon »

I think they are great and last a lot longer than others. If you want to change them every year, use copper, but iridium and platinum last thousands of miles. I would always use NGK, and have in every car I have had.
Cheers

Marc
paulb1976

Post by paulb1976 »

cheers, will save the cash and opt for K&N drop in panel filter instad. :)
Cloz

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Cloz »

paulb1976 wrote: will save the cash and opt for K&N drop in panel filter instad. :)
Not really noticed any difference with K&N filter.
OldskoolRS

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by OldskoolRS »

I'd read that the plugs needn't be replaced until 100,000 miles, are any owners doing this early and if so any difference to the running using either type? I'm at 60,000 miles and wondered if it's worthdoing anyway?
deutschemk

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by deutschemk »

I just recently changed mine to iridium and and haven't noticed any difference good or bad, heard good things about them but dissapointed tbh
. Image
OldskoolRS

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by OldskoolRS »

deutschemk wrote:I just recently changed mine to iridium and and haven't noticed any difference good or bad, heard good things about them but dissapointed tbh
Thanks for the feedback. :) My 3.0 litre is starting to feel a little 'flat', I think I'm just getting used to the power and wanting more but thought it might be worth looking at what would be worth replacing at it's current mileage. I think buying a code reader/USB cable & software might be a better use of money just to check that everything is as it should be...

...then tune it up a bit. :twisted: