z3 proud new owner

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
mjs1150rs

Z3 roadster 2.2i

z3 proud new owner

Post by mjs1150rs »

just got a silver 2.2, 10 years old 60k miles, and am smitten. this car has soul...can i ask advice? the car seems good mechanically and just passed MoT. what should i get checked or get done to avoid common problems? i am happy to spend some money to get if fixed up. with a car like this, it deserves to be looked after for the next generation! by the way, i drove the z4 and hated it. incredibly uncomfortable. it felt like the wheels were not round. i thought there was something wrong with it!
LookinFoolish

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: z3 proud new owner

Post by LookinFoolish »

Welcome aboard! I'm not one of the technical guys so i cannot help you there, others will be able to...but first, any pictures of it!? I'm sad like that, i've seen a million Z's and each time i cant help but :D at them!
1997 BMW Z3 1.9l
OldskoolRS

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by OldskoolRS »

Hello and welcome. :) I'm pretty new to the scene myself, but there are a few things you could get checked, though if it's just passed an MOT then maybe they are OK:

The front wishbones have a bush at the rear of them that goes soft. Can be replaced with a polybush version (opinions vary on this).
The water pump impeller is made of plastic and can fail, so might be worth replacing if it hasn't been done already.
Check your rear brake light is water tight as this sometimes leaks into the boot. If you can't get a new seal for it, some have simply put a small amount of silicon round the holes that the bolts go through.
Run it on 98 RON petrol (Super unleaded) for best performance: It will run on 'regular' unleaded 95 RON, but the engine has a knock sensor and will retard the ignition timing to protect the engine, which will reduce power (and mpg) slightly.

I'm sure there are other things, but I've had mine 6 weeks or so and I'm smitten with it too. :D If I'm not driving it in my spare time, I'm tinkering or cleaning it. :D I've just come in for some lunch as I've been touching up paintwork and cleaning various parts...
uggers2k

blank

Post by uggers2k »

Had my Z for just over a year now and I love it.

A few things that I would check is that there is no water in the petrol cap bay. Mine was flooded as the plug was blocked. Also, I had water in the area where the battery was, so just check that area also.

Regards
pete59

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by pete59 »

Check the two rows of boot welds under the carpet in the boot ,if they are failing they will be rusty looking circles,its a common prob with zeds,if they have popped they need atention or your diff will fall off.