Respray hardtop

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
LookinFoolish

Z3 roadster 1.9

Respray hardtop

Post by LookinFoolish »

I am in the process of purchasing a hardtop because whilst i'm slowly restoring my Z's looks to former glory with a grand cleanup, i decided that a hardtop would be good for the winter months when the wind is blowing the cover off my Z (not garaged unfortunately) and i'm wondering how much a respray would set me back??

On my previous car, i accidently scraped it, approx 18inches and had a panel beater make it look like new and they resprayed the whole side for approx £250 i think? So i'm assuming a respray on a Z3 hardtop cannot be much more? Maybe less?

Anyone had theirs resprayed?
1997 BMW Z3 1.9l
hornel Z3M

blank

Re: Respray hardtop

Post by hornel Z3M »

I just purchased a silver one from a forum member and had it professionally sprayed for £150 cash but i new him so expect to pay £250 ish :)
LookinFoolish

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by LookinFoolish »

£150 is not too bad at all, i'd be hoping i could get that price :D
1997 BMW Z3 1.9l
OldskoolRS

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by OldskoolRS »

I wonder how many of these hard tops get bought in the 'wrong' colour and resprayed to match the new car. :D Mine is metallic black (which to be fair looks OK on a Topaz Blue car), but underneath it was blue previously (as there are a few scratches), but not Topaz. I'm planing on spraying it gloss black, to sort out the scratches, at some point, but I'm going to DIY as I need some practice for when I finish sorting out my RS2000. FWIW I figure that gloss black would be more saleable in future as it seems better to sell the top separately rather than on the car. The black ones seemed to fetch more money when I was looking for one.
LookinFoolish

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by LookinFoolish »

I can imagine lots of the hard tops get bought + resprayed, it's so difficult finding a hardtop that is within a good distance to collect (unless you're willing to pay a large delivery cost!).
1997 BMW Z3 1.9l