central locking help..

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
swamper

M roadster S50

central locking help..

Post by swamper »

i know this has been covered but i cant seem to get this one fixed.
basics....m43 integrated key fob x 1 of
drivers side actuator not working you have to open it manually after turning off the alarm.

went to car to open it pressed key fob and nothing but you can here it trying to fire the actuator.
changed battery in fob still not opening.
checked fuses and are fine.
opened drivers door with key and the alarm sounds.
checked boot loom (already been done last year) with multi meter and its fine.
tried boot lock opens and shuts but wont fire passenger door lock.
when i open the drivers door manually and try to open the passenger door from the inside its remains locked (door pin goes up and down but its dead locked)
kind just run into a dead end with it now as you cant enter the car without the alarm going off.
could this be the passenger side actuator not working now and the car thinks is still locked?
anyone got anymore ideas?
and why cant i open the passenger door when im inside the car....do they have a dead lock?
the badness makes me do it...!

Vic-Z3

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Re: central locking help..

Post by Vic-Z3 »

Even though you done the boot wiring and checked it via a metre.
Still worth a looksie imo, might be intermitent fault just like mine was.
----------------- BMW Z3 Das Beste Auto -----------------

Mein altes Auto riecht nach Nudeln, hat dieses Auto eine Wurst Geruch.
swamper

M roadster S50

Post by swamper »

Vic i would agree with you but when you stick your ear to the door you can hear the actuator try to fire.
the problem is that the door is locked and there seems to be no way of opening it

swamper

M roadster S50

Post by swamper »

ok door card off....anyone know how i can get the door open?
have used the multimeter on the connector on the window motor as this is clicking when i press the key fob and i get 12v through it...and can hear the alarm box clicking at the same time

Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

If it tries to fire the actuator and disarms the alarm, then the remote control is working just fine, so you don't need worry about batteries or anything like that.

The problem you have sounds the same as mine was recently - passenger side went first, followed by drivers side - was a bit intermittent at first, then got to the stage where I had to use the key every time. I replaced both actuators, rather than just lubricating them to see if that fixed it, as I wanted to make sure the problem was fixed, preferably permanently.

If you have removed the door card, including the inside handle, then I guess the only option is to open it using the outside handle?

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
swamper

M roadster S50

Post by swamper »

thanks for the reply Robert
no passenger door wont open with any handle and fob and the alarm wont unset.
the passenger door is held fast.
there is a clicking noise from the window motor and from the alarm box...when i disconnected the wires running to the window motor theres is a 12v pulse.
the fob seems to be working as you can make the light come on by pressing the button for opening the doors (clicking noise and light comes on).
but the alarm stays set and the passenger door is still locked.
what i need is a way to open the passenger door so i can get access to the actuator...but its got me stumped!

houdini2005

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by houdini2005 »

just to ask the obvious has your zed got a lock on the passanger door, if so this may help http://bmwe32.masscom.net/maxf_website/locks.htm
swamper

M roadster S50

Post by swamper »

no just on the drivers side

peteslag

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by peteslag »

Could the door latch mechanism on the passenger door be seized?
Z3 3.0, Ford ST220, Jaguar XK8, Mr2 GT Turbo, Fiat Bravo HGT, Cavalier, Astra convertible, MK1 Astra GTE, XR3i, E21 323i, XR3, Cavalier, VW Jetta, Rover SDi, Capri 2.0S, Audi 80 GTE, another Cavalier, brown Astra van, Citroen GS Club (we all had to start somewhere).
swamper

M roadster S50

Post by swamper »

snoops found me a pic..

iv had my hand in their and the spring in the middle is the part i can feel...but its sharp as tho its snapped....there is no turn on it to lock it on the retaining part at the side

swamper

M roadster S50

Post by swamper »

update....phoned the indi and he reckons the immobilizer has been set off...as the car should start... said to ask auto sparky spoke to him and he reckons the key fob has lost its code or some such thing..............anyone know how to re-sync the integrated fob with the car?

houdini2005

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by houdini2005 »

anyone know how to re-sync the integrated fob with the car?
found this http://www.programyourkeys.com/BMW_Z3_K ... mming.html
swamper

M roadster S50

Post by swamper »

houdini2005 wrote:
anyone know how to re-sync the integrated fob with the car?
found this http://www.programyourkeys.com/BMW_Z3_K ... mming.html
cheers fella.... iv had a go at that with no joy with the car alarm still sounding....seems to stop when i get to the end of the process but with hazards still flashing....when i open the door the alarm go's off again.
the thing thats puzzling me is that the door pin on the passenger side wont say in the up position...yet drivers side can be pushed up and down at will.
when i reconnect the battery the alarm sounds right away for about 30 seconds then go's off.
when iv had the battery off before it hasn't done that but that said the alarm would have been unset.
iv checked the loom in the boot and all seems fine changed the battery in the key (you can hear a click from the alarm module when you press open/close...and the internal light comes on..also get a 12v pulse from the loom) so im assuming it recognizes the fob.......got me baffled

Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

With a facelift zed (or indeed a pre-facelift with the later alarm), you can unset the alarm by putting the key in the ignition and turning it to position II - no need to start the car.

Cheers R.
swamper

M roadster S50

Post by swamper »

just put it in and press any buttons/leave it in for an amount of time?
new one on me Robert...i'll give it a go thanks
rob if you want to pm me so as not to give way to much ?

Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

There is no big secret about this one - there are two security devices in the later key - the battery powered remote and a chip which is read inductively by a coil in the ignition barrel. The latter just operates the immobiliser on early models (which has a separate alarm remote, but still a chip in the key), but on the later alarm, it is all integrated and it will stop the alarm sounding. It is designed that way so that if the battery in the remote goes flat, you can still silence the alarm and drive the car. No button presses or anything, you just turn the key to position II. BTW this will not work with a copy of the key, as it won't have the chip in it, and lost genuine keys can be cancelled (by BMW) to prevent them being used to start the car.

Cheers R.
atlas

M roadster S50

Post by atlas »

check out dodsdoddle post on 20 jan 2011 or type in "key fob glove box "in search . good luck
swamper

M roadster S50

Post by swamper »

thanks all will give it a try :wink:

swamper

M roadster S50

Post by swamper »

fixed.......bloody brill.
for anyone reading this Robert has nailed it....but i had a slightly different stance as the battery was disconnected.
1st change battery in key fob and cycle through open/close buttons and resync it if not the follow the procedure in the above post.
if still not working open drivers door and put key into ignition to position 2 it should fire the door door locks and turn alarm off.
if that fails (which happened on mine) take battery terminal of in boot and wait till lower alarm stops beeping...put key in position 2 and reconnect the battery...it will fire the door pins and turn the alarm off.............ok before i finish go back to the battery in the boot and tighten them up...as you will have forgot to do this as you have just been doing a little dance of joy on the drive :oops:
this fault could have been caused by 2 things.... one key fob battery .....two battery in boot !
check both before you start stripping the car.....doors that have a key barrel can be opened with key .....the ones with out a barrel cant before the the alarm is deactivated....do not strip the door and try and open it you are wasting your time (did that :roll: )

ROB I LOVE YOU MAN