Help please! Engine rattle

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
rafengineer

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Help please! Engine rattle

Post by rafengineer »

Can anyone help?
Have a 2.2 m54 with an annoying rattle when accelerating hard, when hot only, at 2500-3500 rpm.
Sounds like a pinking rattle.
It's easier to list all things done recently:-
Airflow meter
Plugs & coil packs
Ccv
Top and bottom chain tensioners
Vanos unit repaired
Crank and cam sensors
Temp sensors
Fuel filter
Throttle body and Icv cleaned
Belt and tensioner
Water pump & thermostat
Post and Pre cat sensors
Bank 1 cat removed and heat shields welded
Exhaust mountings checked/replaced

After all this it's still there, sometimes worse than at other times. The only thing that cured it for about a 100miles was when cat was welded. It then gradually reappeared.
Have noticed that revs drop off quick when shifting gear, is this characteristic of this engine?
As scenario of when it is bad is approaching a roundabout in 5th dropping down to 3rd as slowing down, entering straight onto roundabout then accelerating hard away. Revs drop right off during shift and even though momentum of car is high it sounds like its pinking. There is no lack of power though and when driving conservatively it returns 30mpg.
Any suggestions? At wits end, didnt have BMW for it to sound like diesel ford!
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Help please! Engine rattle

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Could it be a rattle from the cat? When they start to break down they can rattle when hot.
peteslag

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by peteslag »

BladeRunner919 wrote:Could it be a rattle from the cat? When they start to break down they can rattle when hot.
If welding the cat fixed it first time round this sounds very likely.
Z3 3.0, Ford ST220, Jaguar XK8, Mr2 GT Turbo, Fiat Bravo HGT, Cavalier, Astra convertible, MK1 Astra GTE, XR3i, E21 323i, XR3, Cavalier, VW Jetta, Rover SDi, Capri 2.0S, Audi 80 GTE, another Cavalier, brown Astra van, Citroen GS Club (we all had to start somewhere).
rafengineer

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by rafengineer »

Yeah, think cost of cats is making me want to eliminate everything else first! Lol
Past experience of cat rattles though has seen them rattle on overrun not on acceleration.
Got a holiday in Afghanistan soon so bonus on my return might come in useful.
peteslag

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by peteslag »

You can pick up a cat for as little as 100 quid.

Hope your Afghan holiday passes quickly and without too much incident. Look on the bright side, at least you get plenty of free fireworks displays :wink: .

Drop me PM when you get back and I'll give you a few good websites to try for your cat.
Z3 3.0, Ford ST220, Jaguar XK8, Mr2 GT Turbo, Fiat Bravo HGT, Cavalier, Astra convertible, MK1 Astra GTE, XR3i, E21 323i, XR3, Cavalier, VW Jetta, Rover SDi, Capri 2.0S, Audi 80 GTE, another Cavalier, brown Astra van, Citroen GS Club (we all had to start somewhere).