Another roof question

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Eastsix

Not specified

Another roof question

Post by Eastsix »

Ive had a look at previous threads, but i cant find a specific answer for my problem.
My roof is leaking. The problem is that the roof material has come out from underneath the rear window rubber seal, and now rain collects and drips into the parcel shelf. Ive tried to get it back underneath, but it just wont work, even though it doesnt seem torn or frayed its just not long enough. So, whats the solution? Will anew rear window do it, or will i still have the same prob with the roof material not fitting under the seal?
Grateful for any pointers- the roof is in decent nick so im loathe to replace the whole thing.
2.8 sadly departed, currently between zeds.....
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Another roof question

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Do you mean where the fabric tucks under the plastic beading around the window? If so, you just need a tube of rubber cement (about £2 from the bicycle puncture repair section in Halfords), run a bead of glue around the edge of the window, and tuck the fabric back under - I used a wallpaper scraper to push it in - and let it set. I did mine a few months ago and it's been fine since.

Make sure the roof and area around the window are dry before you try this (not likely at the moment, given the weather).
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

When I first acquired my Z3 I had rain pouring in the two rear window bottom corners and like you the roof fabric had come away from the sealing strip around the window. I had moss growing inside! After waiting for a dry spell I cleaned the area and squirted in a line of Bostik Soft Plastics glue which is clear, flexible and waterproof. Similarly to Bladerunner (but using an old credit card) I eased the roof fabric back under the sealing strip - not a single drop of leaking since and I keep the car outside a lot.
Eastsix

Not specified

Post by Eastsix »

Glue! Thats the kind of lo-fi muddle through approach i'd generally take, but i didnt want to mess anything up. If tgats a solution thats worked for you I'll give it a go. Thanks!
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Eastsix wrote:Glue! Thats the kind of lo-fi muddle through approach i'd generally take, but i didnt want to mess anything up. If tgats a solution thats worked for you I'll give it a go. Thanks!
It's not a bodge-job, it's supposed to be glued. It's the failure of the glue that makes the seam split open.
Eastsix

Not specified

Post by Eastsix »

You were of course completely right. On closer inspection it wasn't that the fabric had come from underneath the lip of the window, itwas that it had come unstuck from the interior surface underneath. Some careful gluing appears to have done the job nicely, thanks!