setting mileage on clock cluster

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
purplequeen

Z4 roadster 2.2i

setting mileage on clock cluster

Post by purplequeen »

My car has had major problems with wiring loom burnout and this has resulted in damage to clock cluster which can't be repaired, rather than have to purchase new clock cluster I am hoping to have 2nd hand set fitted but the mechanic fitting this says he might not be able to record the accurate mileage that my car has done and the instruments might show the mileage of the previous car the clock has come from which is rather worrying. Does anyone know how to fix this problem?
Gazza

M roadster S54

Re: setting mileage on clock cluster

Post by Gazza »

Ask the fitter to record the mileage on your Invoice alongside the listing for the replacement.

It may be possible to reset to zero, not entirely sure.
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
purplequeen

Z4 roadster 2.2i

Post by purplequeen »

The car was also in for M.O.T. when the damage was done so luckily this was recorded on M.o.T. certificate so I have accurate recording.
wildeboy

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by wildeboy »

I am pretty sure you can set the mileage on the speedo. I beleive the milage is recorded on both the ECU and the Speedo, if you fit a speedo with a different milage you should get a 'tamper dot', a little light to show some thing is wrong.

You can only set the mileage to whichever is the higher milage, ECU or Speedo, so if your speedo is higher mileage it will alter the ECU! Just make sure you get a second hand speedo with a lower mileage that way the speedo will be set to the ECU mileage which will be the cars true mileage.

With me so far?

I have read a few threads on here and on bimmerforums explaining how to do it, either do a search or maybe someone will come along with a bit more reliable knowlege than mine! :dunce:
1997 Z3 2.8 in Montreal Blue, only 130k on the clock!
OEM Roll Hoops
M50B25 Inlet manifold
BMC CDA Induction kit
Beige roof
purplequeen

Z4 roadster 2.2i

Post by purplequeen »

Many thanks for advice, I've tried various websites but they all seem to say mileage can't be matched unless a new unit is fitted and as I was quoted in the region of £350 for new unit will try 2nd hand first, just hope it doesn't put anyone off if I decide to swop car after all the trouble!
wildeboy

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by wildeboy »

Try here

http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23731

and here

http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25893

It is not exactly straightforward and there is some conflicting advice but maybe worth a try?

Someone also suggested searching 'Tamper Dot'.
1997 Z3 2.8 in Montreal Blue, only 130k on the clock!
OEM Roll Hoops
M50B25 Inlet manifold
BMC CDA Induction kit
Beige roof
pedro20001

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by pedro20001 »

it can be done; my moms clocks went haywire and we purchased a secondhand set from quarry motors in sheffield. as this is about 70 miles away, my father and i went to the bmw dealer in wolverhampton whn they got the car 9 years ago and they were reassured that the needed coding but could be done. £80 later and still with the same defects as the old clocks, (no tacho, fuel or temp gauge) they said cant be done. contacted quarry motors and i think they charged £40 ish they had coded and reset mileage to old reading and all sorted. i know sheffield is a good distance away but if they had gone there first then my parents would be £80 better off and not wasted a saturday!!!!!
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

On the back of the cluster is a small module that stores the data. Swap this module before you connect the new cluster. The module is paired to your ecu. If you don't swap the module you will get the problems described by wildeboy.

Make sure your new cluster is from the same model of Z3 as you have. They can be different. I was told that there at least 3 types (M, 4 cyl + 6 cyl).

Rear of cluster

On the cluster above, the module is the blue thing behind the white plastic shield on the left. It is behind a tamper evident cover when the cluster is complete.
Pingu
purplequeen

Z4 roadster 2.2i

Post by purplequeen »

Amazing info!!! Many thanks!
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

If you have access to a workshop manual - Bentleys, you will find a detailed description on "re-setting the mileage".... If you go to page 841, at the bottom the article begins, and goes to page 842. The mileage info on your car is stored in 2 places...Something called an EEPROM..in the actual instrument cluster, and also in the coding plug....so, it is not a major issue to re-set.... Check it out. I am sure some of the guys in the UK on this site will be able to help out with printing the pages as mentioned above, and emailing to you...
B
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
aceman

M roadster S50

Post by aceman »

EEPROM - Electronic Erasable Programmable Read Only Memory :wink:
Aceman

Arctic Silver '98 Z3M

Previously;
Bright RED '99 Z3 2.8

Rocking seats ? You need seat bushes click HERE
purplequeen

Z4 roadster 2.2i

Post by purplequeen »

I love this forum there's so much knowledge out there - thank you!
purplequeen

Z4 roadster 2.2i

Post by purplequeen »

Can anyone scan copy of Bentleys manual - see above (pgs 841 & 842)?
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Did you get sorted with the relevant pages?? If not, PM me your email addy and I'll send them to you.
"Normal is overrated"

zederbee

M roadster S50

Post by zederbee »

As an aside... anybody know how to change a cluster from displaying KM to displaying Miles?
1999 black M Roadster, AC Schnitzer hoops & Type III wheels.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

You can buy a set of new "faces " for the dials... You then need to overlay them on the existing faces, your "mileage reading" will still be in Kms though....
"Normal is overrated"

zederbee

M roadster S50

Post by zederbee »

Southernboy wrote:You can buy a set of new "faces " for the dials... You then need to overlay them on the existing faces, your "mileage reading" will still be in Kms though....
Thanks but I am only looking to change the odometer, speedo has both miles & Km. I'm pretty sure it should be possible through INPA or DIS but can't find any info on how to do it.
1999 black M Roadster, AC Schnitzer hoops & Type III wheels.
purplequeen

Z4 roadster 2.2i

Post by purplequeen »

Finally got my car back 1 month after it went to the garage! Clock cluster fitted and no tamper dot showing so many thanks for all the advice and info.