Recommended Gearbox Oil

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
TWO

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Recommended Gearbox Oil

Post by TWO »

Hi,

I just contacted my local BMW stealer to request details on the recommended manual gearbox oil for my Z3, 2.2, 2002, (plus I gave them the reg no. & VIN no. as well), and was told that they could not advise unless the car was up on the ramps to check the tag plate on the side of the gearbox. :shock:

Is there so many variations of oil......or was it that they did not wish to advise 'joe public' and lose the possible trade? :head:

Recommended oils would be appreciated.
OldskoolRS

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Recommended Gearbox Oil

Post by OldskoolRS »

Mine had a yellow (or was it orange? :oops: ) label on it. From this label I confirmed that it had the 'lifelong' type oil that in theory didn't need changing. So they aren't necessarily being difficult. ;)

I bought the equivalent from Opie oils for £22 inc delivery (about £80 for 2 litres from BMW I understand) and drained/refilled with the Opie oil. The gearchange is now smoother especially from cold, so well worth doing even though the oil is meant for the life of the car according to BMW.

The oil I used was this:

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-981-fuchs-t ... fluid.aspx

You may need a different type if your 'box has a different label to mine, but no doubt they will tell you which is their equivalent.
Devon Z
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Devon Z »

I've just replaced mine with Amoil synthetic MTF from Opie oils, lot's of good reports in the states and after a few miles transformed the gear change on mine :lol: haven't got a clue what colour tag my gearbox has :?: I never saw one when I changed the oil.
99 2.0 Topaz Individual
Gareth 161

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Gareth 161 »

Could you please advise what your symptoms were before.On my 2.8 it seems a bit "notchy" especially from 1st to 2nd when cold and you have to change very slowly.
However I have also read about the CDV valve? and possibly that needs looking at?
Any advice greatly appreciated from down west.
2001 3.0 Z3, 2008 Subaru Forester Xten
OldskoolRS

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by OldskoolRS »

If it helps my 3.0 gearbox was exactly like this (I started a thread somewhere about it). What I did was to bleed the clutch slave cylinder, which I reckon hadn't been done for a long time as the fliud was very dark that came out. I then drained and refilled the lifelong oil in the gearbox with the 75/80W fully synthetic oil I linked to further up. Now the change is much better from cold and after a longer run it's positively slick.

Before I changed the oil, if you pulled the lever across the gate towards 5th gear, then released it, then it didn't move. Now it springs back to the neutral position, so it's less 'sticky' than before. This has saved me droping the box to replace the 'pins' in the top (which you can buy as a kit foir around £80) which it the usual fix for this issue.

I haven't replaced the CDV valve or bypassed it (yet).
c_w

M roadster S50

Post by c_w »

Don't worry about any stickers or labels on the side, it's just that it went from a normal gear oil to a a gear oil that is supposedly "lifetime", but as everyone who has changed their "liftetime" oil has found the change improves massively!

I used AMSOIL MTF fully synthetic and the change was really improved.
TWO

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by TWO »

Thanks all.......I just ordered Amsoil Synthetic MTF Oil from Opie today.............
kkkrisss

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by kkkrisss »

the manual says ATF oil?
Have anybody used that type?
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

ATF is for automatic transmission and power steering
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
kkkrisss

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by kkkrisss »

Gazza wrote:ATF is for automatic transmission and power steering
Yes, i am aware of that however the manual recommends this type of oil for manual transmissions...
msassoon

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by msassoon »

Yes indeed, and that is what is in my box. It is from an M3, but is the same. It seems that a particularly thin MTF was used up until a point, and then ATF after. If it says ATF, use that.
Cheers

Marc
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

kkkrisss wrote:
Yes, i am aware of that however the manual recommends this type of oil for manual transmissions...
I thought you didn't know what ATF was, hence my explanation

If the manual states a certain type, why ask the question ?
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

ImageImage
kkkrisss

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by kkkrisss »

Gazza wrote:
kkkrisss wrote:
I thought you didn't know what ATF was, hence my explanation

If the manual states a certain type, why ask the question ?
Coz it seems everybody here uses MTF gearbox oil and I just wonder why...
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

ATF is thinner (upto 50%)than MTF 75/90 and usually requires an oil cooler when used in Auto gearboxes.

I would not use ATF in my Manual gearbox unless it was stated by the Manufacturer.

You say the Manufacturer Manual says it is ok to use ATF.
Gazza

ImageImage
Gareth 161

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Gareth 161 »

Looks like an oil change is best option to smooth the gear change on my 97 2.8 Z3.
As it presumably is filled with"oil for life" can anyone advise if there is a normal drain plug & fill/level plug on these boxes and is it a fairly straightforward job?
2001 3.0 Z3, 2008 Subaru Forester Xten
OldskoolRS

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by OldskoolRS »

Yes there is a drain plug, the refill plug is a bit awkward to get to, so find a length of tubing to run to the engine bay from the gearbox, then a cheap funnel to help direct the oil. Make sure you can undo the refil plug before draining the gearbox. ;)
Devon Z
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Devon Z »

I used a small hand pump, there used a lot by boat owners to suck the oil out of the engine rather than drain it, used it in reverse to put the oil in.
99 2.0 Topaz Individual
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

BMW used to use mineral oil, then moved to ATF until about 1999, when they changed to synthetic multigrade gear oil - and called it 'Long Life Oil' to impress their customers and provide an excuse to officially negelct gearboxes. Some impressionable peole really do think it better to keep using a worn-out filling of BMW's wonderful oil thanchange it for 'normal' synthetic gear oil such as Amsoil, Fuchs, or Castrol. The use of green, orange or yellow stickers near the filler plug tells you what it was originally filled with.

It's the same with power steering oil - sealed for life and therefore neglected. I change mine every few years, and for 600 cc of ATF is is a cheap precaution.

Have a look at my bit on Transmission Oil Changes in the Z3 Knowledgebase.
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
Devon Z
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Devon Z »

Ahh power steering, haven't changed that one :lol: still unsure wether to change my washer fluid :?: thats been in 13 years :!:
99 2.0 Topaz Individual