Hard top leaking.

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
OldskoolRS

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Hard top leaking.

Post by OldskoolRS »

I just took my hard top off ready for an early morning run down to Goodwood tomorrow (Supercar Sunday). When I raised the soft top it was wet and the towel I put to protect the rear window was soaking. I know we've had some heavy rain since it was last off (3 weeks ago :cry: ) but I can't see where it could be getting in. There is no sign of water in the well under where the soft top was, this is bone dry, so the soft top trapped the water. The big seal round the sides and back of the hardtop looks perfect and I can't see how I could get the hard top clamps any tighter.

Just wondered if it's a common issue and a well known fix. I don't want to have to worry about the soft top going moudly over the winter so it's something I need to sort out. [Thinking that winter might not be far away this year. :D ]

Meant to add that my soft top doesn't leak at all that I can tell, if this help diagnose the issue.
deutschemk

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Hard top leaking.

Post by deutschemk »

have you jetwashed recently? I know if I'm not carefull sometimes water can get under the seals, I've had many leaking probs with my hardtop but usualy leaks at the front, you can adjust the pins on the hardtop to make it sit lower at the rear but be carefull its not too low or it will clatter the body when on bumpy roads, bmw sell a set of gauges to set the height but they are rather pointless pieces of rubber. I'd try adjust the pins to create a tighter seal that might help ya

cheers

g
. Image
OldskoolRS

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by OldskoolRS »

Cheers. I did pressure wash it a few weeks ago, but that was just the wheel arches though I may have sprayed the boot lid I can't remember now (old age) as I'd only gone down to the car wash to do the arches prior to taking the liners out for a deep clean. I don't think I could get the levels any tighter as I struggle to lock them down as it is, but I'll have a play. I was wondering if it could be getting in at the part where the seal meets the door. I'll have a good look when I put it back on, but for this weekend I'm going to enjoy having the roof down whenever it's not actually raining. :D

Nice wheels on your Z3 Deutschemk, looks a similar colour to mine, so I have to say I like it. :)
OldskoolRS

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by OldskoolRS »

Just reviving this thread as I took my hardtop off tonight and there was water in the folder back window again. I haven't pressure washed the car this time, though we have had some very heavy rain later (well all flipping summer, but I digress). I think the water may be getting in via the gap in line with the boot lid: The rubber seal of the soft top sits just below this gap when the top is down (as per when the hardtop is fitted) and the rubber seal of the hardtop just sits on top of this gap. I was thinking of trying a small piece of rubber laid in this gap as a test, but I'm interested in other hardtop owner's comments. I'll take a photo tomorrow and put it on this thread to highlight what I mean.

I'd like to get this nailed during the 'summer' otherwise my plan for using the hardtop over the winter to protect the car may backfire and cause the interior to grow mould...

Brighter news: I had a nice little blast this evening with the top down, the first time for about 2 weeks. :D
Heath

Z3 roadster 2.0

Hard top leaking.

Post by Heath »

Hello mate, my hardtop is slightly different to yours as its a wiesman but when the hardtop is fitted the rubber seal on mine sits slightly behind the soft top rubber seal, I know this because when I fitted it I put a smear of silicon grease along the hardtop rubber seal which keeps the rubber soft, stops any marks from rubbing & also helps to form a more watertight seal. After removing the hardtop it was easy to see where the rubber seal had sat due to the grease on the body work. Mine was still bone dry inside after 5 months of the roof being fitted.
If you decide to try this dont use vaseline as I have heard some people have used it and vaseline can degrade rubber very quickly

Heath on Tapatalk
OldskoolRS

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by OldskoolRS »

Thanks Heath. I noticed that on mine there is a black 'rubber' line on the very edge of the car's paintwork so it's obvious where the rubber sits on the 'OEM' hardtop. I'm going to look for a suitable piece of rubber to 'fill' the grove to see how I get on and also check to see if the clamp can be adjusted any tighter.