Z3 Post 2000 Wind Deflector, No Roll Hoops

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
RMCommando

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Z3 Post 2000 Wind Deflector, No Roll Hoops

Post by RMCommando »

Hiya guys

spent months trawling the forums to find a solution to the above problem. has anyone seen any of these? they are like rocking horse poop. Does anyone know of any after market solutions or something of sort? The measurement between the pinholes is 70CM i think. I can see plenty of deflectors popping up on places like ebay for models unto '99 but nothing after?

Help please

Cheers :-)
lebigmec

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Re: Z3 Post 2000 Wind Deflector, No Roll Hoops

Post by lebigmec »

They truly are like rocking horse poo! I've been searching for one since October 2010.. Tried everything.. If you do discover where to get one, please let me know too.
Devon Z
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Devon Z »

Keep checking E-bay, I've seem them on there regularly :) thats the non roll hoop one.

Just looked on E-bay, there's 10 on there but I don't know how to post links, your looking £200 though :shock:
99 2.0 Topaz Individual
lebigmec

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by lebigmec »

Devon Z wrote:Keep checking E-bay, I've seem them on there regularly :) thats the non roll hoop one.

Just looked on E-bay, there's 10 on there but I don't know how to post links, your looking £200 though :shock:
I do keep checking on Ebay, but they are always 75cm ones, never 70cm that I need... :(
colb

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by colb »

Same situation as lebigmec needing a windbreaker with 70cm mounting pins width for my 1999 1.8 without roll bars.
Kept looking on ebay but all the ones turning up were the 75cm type. My car has the sockets installed for the 70cm windbreaker but just couldnt find one.
Gave up looking and bought a 75cm one off ebay and then set about sortong out a mounting method. The pins would fit in the cars sockets but the mounting arms were somewhat strained and the tilt didn't work because of the arms being out of line.

I made some trial mounts up today using some small lengths of wood 2in x 3/4in x approx 8in long. Drilled a hole big enough for the windbreaker pins to slot into at one end and a couple of holes along its length to use self tappers to fix these uprights adjacent to the tonnau pins on each side of the rear of the centre cubby box at 70cm centres. Drilled pilot holes in the plastic once I was happy the Deflector was centralised and fixed them with long self tapper screws. This achieved a firm fix and held the wndbreaker at the right height to clear the cubby box lid and allowed the catch levers to operate and allow it to be tilted back. In use it tilts forward on the first click position and seems to cut the wind in the cabin ok.
Looks a bit rough in its raw state but plan on covering the wood uprights with some matching leather so it blend in with the trim.
No pics at the moment but hope to post some soon.

Colb
Colb
1999 BMW 1.8 Z3
2003 BMW 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville NT650V
lebigmec

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by lebigmec »

Excellent, Colb. Don't give up your search though.. I finally managed to get hold of one a few weeks ago, not on ebay, but when I was out at work, I saw a really dog Z3 up for sale, it was a real rot box.
I wasn't interested in the car, but I offered the guy selling it £100 for just the wind deflector! So now I have one.. Very pleased with the difference it makes too. :lol:
colb

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by colb »

Well done for tracking one down, thinking of using some alloy square section instead of using the wood and leather covered version but use the same design, will use to wooden trial pieces as patterns :lol:

Colb
Colb
1999 BMW 1.8 Z3
2003 BMW 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville NT650V
wil7697

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by wil7697 »

I have just sorted the windbreaker problem with my 1999 2.8. The answer my friends is already on the car.
Raise the lid to the rear storage box and lock in position (I used the rods from two headrests which fitted in the wind deflector holes) it works a treat, absolute genius will post some pics soon :D :D :D :D
lebigmec

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by lebigmec »

Just seen one of these on eBay, correct 70cm gap to fit facelift non roll hoop models. (It isn't mine, by the way!).
Hope this helps anybody still searching for one, as they're hard to find to fit these cars. It took me ages to get one.
I don't know how to post the link here, but I'm sure someone will be kind enough to help..
PCSAM

blank

Post by PCSAM »

i have a 75mm one for sale with-the fitting kit ....
ekimj10

blank

Post by ekimj10 »

Hi,
Only just read and I guess the deflector and fittting kit are long gone?
Would be very interested.
Mike
PCSAM

blank

Post by PCSAM »

ekimj10 wrote:Hi,
Only just read and I guess the deflector and fittting kit are long gone?
Would be very interested.
Mike
pm sent