Engine - when reving, engine slow to come down to tick over?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
kt66se

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Engine - when reving, engine slow to come down to tick over?

Post by kt66se »

Hi,

Not posted on here for ages...sorry. I've had the zed for about a year now and have notced when revving, the engine comes down from say 4k to tickover slow, is this normal? It seems to have plenty of power and a smooth tickover. I also noticed, when placing the end of a screw driver onto the front of the plastic engine cover, (near the fan end) and the other end of the screw driver to my ear, I hear what sounds like "tappet" noise. (I use to have a Triumph herald before and used this method to check for lose tappets) Is that also normal, I guess it could be the timing chain?

The Zed is a 2.2 Y reg, 69k miles. She is SORN at present, bad tramlining so am looking at front wishbone replacement and powerflex bush as shown on this site, the ball joints are very slack so needs doing before the MOT.

Ps, no warning lights on the dash so guess engine is okay just seems odd for a 6 cylynder to not rev freely, maybe I've got a hose leak, will have a closer look just thought I'd post in case this was a common prob. Never worked on such an advanced engine, used to stting on front wheel of Herald and seeing everything working in front of me :roll:

Many thanks

Adam
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Engine - when reving, engine slow to come down to tick o

Post by Mike Fishwick »

Possibly a faulty clutch switch - mine used to increase rpm to 3000 during a gear change, but has been OK since fitting the later type of switch and an adaptor wiring harness.

Alternatively it could be the idle control valve in need of cleaning - try squeezing the rubber hose going into it with pliers and see if the engine slows right down.

Another possibility is an air leak in the inlet system.
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
kt66se

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by kt66se »

Hi Mike,

Thanks - will have a go at that. It does not increase revs by itself, its only when revving, (showing off at traffic lights) that its slow to get back to idle :?

thanks

Adam
jj29

blank.gif

Post by jj29 »

If its any consolation, mine does just the same. It's been looked at by expert stuart at Forza west who says there's nothing to fix.....
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

jj29 wrote:If its any consolation, mine does just the same. It's been looked at by expert stuart at Forza west who says there's nothing to fix.....
Sounds like a real expert.
kt66se

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by kt66se »

okay, my first task failed at the start line, I can't get the lower ball joint out so have given up and am going to take her in to the local garage. I'll order a L+R control arm. I see a few on ebay for as little as £50 for a set. Is the control arm for the 2.2 standard? I can see a part number on the old one 224 81cdp but nothing comes up for that on google or ebay. I'll also order the higher spec bushes and get them to fit those as well, just need to know if I've got the right part here:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-Compact-0 ... 439b5e9239

Thanks

Adam